IGNORED

Atari people rule (i.e. StanJr)

Chris++

Yep - this is an awesome board! Why the Atari board - and not the others? Well, it may have something to do with all the pot residue left on the consoles from the Atari Warehouse "Glory Days" - or, it may have something to do with sharing that incredible childhood energy most of us felt "back in the day." I've given away 4 consoles - and over 50 games so far - I've just gotten lucky at garage sales - and the joy I get from sharing the Atari spirit - it's just incredible. Recently, a great friend of mine was reminising about "Megamania" - well, the next time I saw him, I handed him a cart - his eyes lit up - and then I handed him a box with an atari, controllers and 20 games. He asked how long he could borrow it for - I told him it was his to keep. He looked at me like "WHAT?!?!?"... told me he couldn't keep it - I told him it was a garage sale find, and the 15 bucks I paid for it could only be payed back by his ENJOYING the Atari for all it's worth. (He'd been dealing with some tough issues the past few weeks, and the happiness this brought seemed more powerful than a card.) Pay it forward, guys and gals. Love ya! Andrew

Though it's nice to give carts away, I still believe in business. I usually try and recoup some if not all of my money when buying a collection. I keep what I need, then sell the rest, so I can buy more of what I need to sell and then buy more.....

You get the picture. I must have amassed at least 2000 extras just in 2600 games alone. 200 of these are Combat and Pac-man, but they still take up space and did cost me money, if it was only cents.

Phil

quote:

Originally posted by Cassidy:

I used to read the RGVAC boards, and met some great people there, but was flamed for selling some games to pay for grad school. No one here is out to make a fortune, but we all know things cost money.

Amen. I got SO tired of the constant whining about being "ripped off" on RGVAC that I quit reading that group. Whenever you try to sell anything there, you get a ton of lowball offers or "your price is too high you crook" type crap. Some of us fall on hard times occasionally and need to raise money to take care of our families, and as such, some games (i.e. Tempest) cannot just be given away. But that's exactly what a lot of those people want you to do, and will harass you constantly. In the past 2-3 years, arcade game collecting has become a tedious and unenjoyable hobby for me. As a result, I have sold the majority of my games with a couple of exceptions. I believe a lot of the jealousy and hostility that comes with collecting arcade games has to do with the scarcety of the parts involved, and some people would backstab their best friends to get ahold of them (trust me; it's happened to me).

I've been collecting console stuff for some time now, and have never experienced this sort of disgusting hostility. Now that I'm concentrating strictly on console games, I feel free and happy with my hobby again. I doubt I'll ever buy or sell another arcade machine again. I'd rather destroy them than sell them now (and I have). Sad but true.

Ok... this got a bit long-winded, but I guess I needed to get this off my chest. Take care and happy collecting!

B