IGNORED

How rare are 2600 games from Japan?

IntelliGuy

I've been living in Japan for a while now, and I've finally come across some Atari 2600 (not 2800!) stuff.

I know that Epoch distributed the Atari 2600 here in Japan before the re-release in '83. But, I have heard rumours that other companies distributed them also. Can anyone clarify it for me?

So, in the end, how rare are games like this?

Yahoo Atari 2600 Auction

Thanks for any info..

You know, I don't anyone has a really good idea, but they're probably reasonably rare.

Problem with the Epoch ones as I see it is that it would be hard to prove that the cart came from Japan, so they'd have to be boxed.

PS -- any interest in helping me get some Japanese stuff off of Yahoo auctions? :-)

• 2 weeks later...

wow.. so much posts ...

looks like i have to drop a few notes about japanese carts.

the atari 2600 was distributed by epoch before 83/84 and was sold probably in regular us boxes. same with the carts. they are regular ntsc carts with additional pictures.

first example: first serie text label game with box and additional japanese stickers.

j4d.jpg

j4e.jpg

j4f.jpg

and here's the back of my defender cartridge:

j5Defender.jpg

later the 2800 was released. unfortunately very late, allready when the NES started ... so that explains why it had a short appearance, other consoles of the time beeing technically way above the 2600/2800. plus it comes from japan, and this alone makes it a bit expensive anyway

;P

here's one with it's box ...

j1a2800_1.jpg

and here's the usual sticker on the console ...

j2AtariSticker.jpg

these are the boxes release at that time ...

j62800si.gif

j72800_cookie.jpg

ok, no more pics allowed on this board

;P

Nice pic of the cookie monster box.

Do you know if any of the other Sesame Street carts were released in Japan?

Could I borrow the pic of the Cookie Monster Box for later addition to my web site?

http://www.elmoandfriends.com

and if you have the othe Sesame Street boxes from japan i'd love to get pics of those as well.

thanks

I've had a page devoted to the 2800 for 5 years now. You can see a translated ad and a list of available games at: http://www.atarihq.com/pal-division/2800.html

Most of the top collectors have the unfolded 2800 boxes that originated the Atari graphic design dept. in Sunnyvale, that were auctioned off by best Electronics 10 years ago or so. Actual 2800 boxed games are extremely rare. This is because Japan has had no culture of re-using items until recently, and no market for second-hand things (no thrift stores, no yard sales, no fleamarkets, etc.) People would just trash and buy new things.

I do have a shrinked 2800 Raiders of the Lost Ark from Japan.

The Epoch stuff is new to me.. Wow, it's awesome!

I've had a page devoted to the 2800 for 5 years now. You can see a translated ad and a list of available games at: http://www.atarihq.com/pal-division/2800.html

Most of the top collectors have the unfolded 2800 boxes that originated the Atari graphic design dept. in Sunnyvale, that were auctioned off by best Electronics 10 years ago or so. Actual 2800 boxed games are extremely rare. This is because Japan has had no culture of re-using items until recently, and no market for second-hand things (no thrift stores, no yard sales, no fleamarkets, etc.) People would just trash and buy new things.

I do have a shrinked 2800 Raiders of the Lost Ark from Japan.

The Epoch stuff is new to me.. Wow, it's awesome!