IGNORED

Best ST paint program?

Zeptari

991033[/snapback]

Nobody knows as much as they want about the falcon except for the lucky few who own one. But, I do know that with an SC1224 you can only access the standard ST low&medium resolutions. For the Falcon resolutions you need a VGA monitor which requires a $25 falcon-to-VGA adapter. But, if you get the adapter and use a VGA monitor, you can access ALL the graphic resolutions, including the ST's. It's mostly a computer for artists, musicians and programmers though, if you want it just for game you will be disappointed as there are only about 10-20 Falcon specific games ever released, though most are very good and worth the price of a Falcon to play (from what I understand).

991194[/snapback]

With the Falcon to VGA adapter I can access "ALL" the ST video modes plus the Falcons!!!

That's great news!!

I thought you could only access the ST's low and med video modes with only a few select VGA monitors?

Why didn't Atari put in a VGA port in the falcon to begin with?

I with a could use a falcon for a week to see if it's worth the $$$.

I can see myself getting one someday.... ;)

New question, are there any 3D cad like programs for the Falcon?

Or at least ST one's that will run on the Falcon?

thanks all...

991033[/snapback]

Nobody knows as much as they want about the falcon except for the lucky few who own one. But, I do know that with an SC1224 you can only access the standard ST low&medium resolutions. For the Falcon resolutions you need a VGA monitor which requires a $25 falcon-to-VGA adapter. But, if you get the adapter and use a VGA monitor, you can access ALL the graphic resolutions, including the ST's. It's mostly a computer for artists, musicians and programmers though, if you want it just for game you will be disappointed as there are only about 10-20 Falcon specific games ever released, though most are very good and worth the price of a Falcon to play (from what I understand).

991194[/snapback]

With the Falcon to VGA adapter I can access "ALL" the ST video modes plus the Falcons!!!

That's great news!!

I thought you could only access the ST's low and med video modes with only a few select VGA monitors?

thanks all...

992926[/snapback]

Actually, the original post was incorrect. :( You cannot access all VGA/ST resolutions on one monitor unless you have (1) a monitor that supports the low 15Khz horizontal scan rate of the ST resolutions (you also need a special cable switcher too), or (2) a scan doubler. Otherwise, you need two monitors to get all the VGA/ST resolutions.

At the time of the Falcon release, RGB monitors were cheaper than VGA monitors. To help with the transition, Atari decided to support both monitors. I'm sure if there was a Falcon040, RGB support would have been dropped.

As for 3D CAD programs...I don't know. :| All I can think of is photo and raytracing programs at the moment...

991033[/snapback]

991194[/snapback]

That's great news!!

thanks all...

992926[/snapback]

Actually, the original post was incorrect. :( You cannot access all VGA/ST resolutions on one monitor unless you have (1) a monitor that supports the low 15Khz horizontal scan rate of the ST resolutions (you also need a special cable switcher too), or (2) a scan doubler. Otherwise, you need two monitors to get all the VGA/ST resolutions.

At the time of the Falcon release, RGB monitors were cheaper than VGA monitors. To help with the transition, Atari decided to support both monitors. I'm sure if there was a Falcon040, RGB support would have been dropped.

As for 3D CAD programs...I don't know. :| All I can think of is photo and raytracing programs at the moment...

993077[/snapback]

Sorry, my bad. I for got that my friend who has the Falcon to VGA adapter has a Multisync monitor to display all resolutions. IIRC he has some sort of switch box to choose the modes, as I don't remember him ever swapping adapters/cables and I'm pretty sure he doesn't use a scan doubler, but I only saw his setup once, But I did see Pheonix stuff running in several resolutions including both ST and VGA, but I never noticed him switch anything over, though he may have.

As for CAD programs I do know a thing or two for sure, Phoenix is a brilliant program (Phoenix 2 also) that work on ST/TT/Falcon an can use the estended graphics modes of the TT/Falcon. Cybersculpt is another good one, basically the replacement for CAD 3D 2.0 in most respects, but I don't think it uses anything but the ST's RGB modes as it came out before the TT/Falcon. Phoenix can be bought seperately or in an entire 3D studio package called Phase 4, which is basically the next generation of the whole Cyberstudio package that CAD 3D and Cybersculpt came in. But, I'm pretty sure that the Cyberstudio package (With CAD 3D 2.0, not the older 1.0) can run on the TT/Falcon very well too, but again, is restricted to the ST high&medium resolutions still. The final result of Cybersculpt models and animations can be viewed in ST low resolution with standard 16 colors or Spectrum's 512 colors which looks VERY good, better than 256 color modes on other computers and you'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference between it and 4096 color modes. Phoenix is of course completely compatible with cyberstudio files and can go all the way to true color on Falcons. I personally own the entire Cyberstudio package and Phoenix on it's own, but I only have an ST and Mega/STE. My friend has what I have and Phoenix 2, but he also uses them all on his ST, Falcon and on his PC with Gemulator 98 emulator (works great at HIGH speed)

Edited by Gunstar