IGNORED

Assembler/Editor cart question..

Question for anyone who might know:

Is there a feature on the Assembler Editor cart that allows you to List/Enter like BASIC? I know how to use these commands to save and load source code, but it wipes out anything I have already been working on in the editor(enter, that is). I'd like to be able to merge in routines that I have saved to disk to use with something I'm writing in the editor like you can in BASIC.

Is there a way?

Include..  I don't see it in the Assembler Editor manual.. .  could you explain?

994012[/snapback]

The Assembler Editor might not have it, or it might be called something else (I've never used that cartridge/program, so I don't know).

In assemblers like DASM, "include" is a command that lets you include the text from other files inside of the assembly source code you're working on, something like this:

include "D1:header.asm"
  include "D1:equates.asm"
  include "D1:iostuff.asm"
  include "D1:graphics.asm"
  include "D1:footer.asm"

where the files named after the "include" keyword are text files on drive "D1" that each contain bits of code that you've saved because you want to be able to reuse them in your assembly programs.

I have no idea if Assembler Editor has anything like that, but I would hope that it at least gives you a way to append or continue working on a program that you'd previously begun and had to save before you finished it.

Michael Rideout

ENTER and LIST are available on the Atari ASMED cart. In fact, they're the only way to load source.

But, you use # instead of " to specify the device/filespec, e.g.

LIST #D:MYPROG.SRC

ENTER #D:MYPROG.SRC

From memory, you use ENTER #D:MYPROG.SRC/A to append source to an existing program in memory.

Note that line number conflicts could cause problems, and that BASIC programs aren't renumbered and don't have GOTO targets changed.

And, BASIC programs have to be raw text saved via the BASIC LIST " command.

In any case, it would be worthwhile getting MAC/65. It is more powerful and can be used as in TEXT mode, which disregards all syntax errors.

Definate +1 for cross-assembly on anything of substance.

Just dealing with line numbers makes me shudder... nothing worse than having to constantly renumber an ASM program just so you can insert a few lines.

But MAC/65 has the nice option to ENTER #<filespec>/A, which produces line numbers.

Where can I find out about/buy a MAC 65? I'm not familiar with it... is it on cartridge?

Also, I have read (in Atari Graphics and Arcade Game Design) about the SynAssembler cart - is that available anywhere, and is it good?

I probably should assemble on the PC, but I really like working on my old Atari 800. I'm really new to assembly, so I'm still learning a lot about it.

Thanks for the help!

Where can I find out about/buy a MAC 65?   I'm not familiar with it...  is it on cartridge?

Also, I have read (in Atari Graphics and Arcade Game Design) about the SynAssembler cart - is that available anywhere, and is it good?

I probably should assemble on the PC, but I really like working on my old Atari 800.   I'm really new to assembly, so I'm still learning a lot about it.

Thanks for the help!

995321[/snapback]

You can buy it here:

Mac/65 - Cartridge

Not sure, but you may be able to get it cheaper elsewhere.

Here's the Mac/65 ROM and other related Disks:

Mac65_Package.zipThe manual and information about the language can be found on the net.

Here's the disk version of Syn Assembler XL + Manual:

Syn_Assembler_XL.zipNot sure about the cart version.

Edited by MrFish

MAC/65 was available both as a SuperCartridge (bank-select) and on disk.

The disk version lacks DDT (the debugger), and a few other features.

The disk version also suffers a RAM penalty, since the cartridge version resides in 8K of memory space. Not to mention the extra stability you always get with ROM-based software.

Just dealing with line numbers makes me shudder...

So do mine :)

If there is one thing I hated about MAC/65 it was the “BASIC style” line based editor. So much, that I usually used MAC/65 for small projects only. And used AMAC instead for big ones (I really liked AMAC’s full screen editor).

Yes, you could of course use MAC/65 ENTER command. But it was awfully slow for big files, and very cumbersome when having INCLUDEs.

But of course, as almost everybody else I also moved to cross development (in the ST, initially) quite fast.

Using the disk version instead of the cartridge is not that bad. DDT is, of course, not integrated. But it came with another debugger, BUG/65. And you could still use the disk based Extended DDT if you want.

Perhaps the most important difference is that the cartridge supports the 65C02, but the disk version doesn’t (well, at least not the version I have).

• 4 weeks later...

OK - got the MAC/65 - thanks for the advice!

Here's my new question: Is there a way I can obtain a printable copy of the manual anywhere? On the site where I bought the assembler, there's a link to the manual PDF, but it's password restricted and will only allow me to view, not print.

• 4 weeks later...

OK - thanks to Mr. Fish I have now read the manual - which leads me to new questions :ponder: :

1. The manual mentions a separate manual that deals with DDT tool, could anyone possibly point me to a copy (preferably printable) of that? I know it's on the cart, but I have no idea what it does, or how to access it.

2. The manual says MAC-65 uses part of page 6 - which part? Is it best to just avoid page 6 with this one? I read over the sample program for using page 6, but it left me a little confused.

3. Are there any page zero bytes available for the user? It seems that the ones usable from BASIC and the Assembler Editor cart are used by MAC-65

OK - thanks to Mr. Fish I have now read the manual - which leads me to new questions  :ponder: :

1.  The manual mentions a separate manual that deals with DDT tool, could anyone possibly point me to a copy (preferably printable) of that?  I know it's on the cart, but I have no idea what it does, or how to access it.

1024246[/snapback]

Here's a more advanced version of the DDT program.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...ic=82757&hl=ddt

Allan

2. The manual says MAC-65 uses part of page 6 - which part? Is it best to just avoid page 6 with this one? I read over the sample program for using page 6, but it left me a little confused.

Probably the lower half. In fact, with BASIC there is a chance of the bottom half of page 6 being overwritten. If you use shorthand statements and they expand a line over 128 characters, then LIST and ENTER the program, it will overwrite page 6.

3. Are there any page zero bytes available for the user? It seems that the ones usable from BASIC and the Assembler Editor cart are used by MAC-65

It's usually safe to use the floating point routine's areas. Plus, there are some locations which are just temporary variables, and the locations used by CIO and SIO are usually OK.

One technique is to have a routine to save and restore an area of page 0. Then have the program check for a certain key, which restores then executes a BRK, RTS (or whatever returns to the assembler).

• 4 weeks later...

Howdy, all. Forgive me if I'm in the wrong spot, please. I recently d/l'ed a couple of 800 emulators (running Toshiba laptop - WinXP) and would really like to start learning Assembler. The only (non BASIC programming) thing I've been able to do is play a Donkey Kong cart ROM. What I was hoping is to use the information here and at Atari-Archive-Dot-Org to learn it. Is this possible, in particular can I "pretend" there is a disk drive (or tape) to save the info? (I refuse to make BASIC programs more that 20 lines or so, because I don't want to lose them.) Do various emulators behave well with Assembly? Can I have (if I find/purchase the ROM) the Assembler Cartridge and a storage medium?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm so excited to do things I should have (wanted to...including Atari 2600 programming) done in 198*...

-RedBeard

The good emulators like Atari800Win+ behave almost exactly like a real machine. That includes "illegal" 6502 operations, and most of the bugs/features of the hardware.

For the average program, there will be absolutely no difference.

Use the virtual disk drives to mount .ATR images, and enable the "H:" device patch, and point it to a PC directory so you can directly save to PC files.

Thanks. I've a new problem. One emulator (the Darek Mihoca one (xf2000?)) works, but I don't get any sound out of it. It's not the end of the world or anything, but I wouldn't pay money for it (if it couldn't be fixed). Then the Atari800WinPlus 4.0 looks and sound good but it won't recognize the L key. Or the ,.<> keys... Which pretty much make LIST impossible.

What to do? What to do?

><> RedBeard

P.S. How about: get an 800XL and a small TV? :-)

Then the Atari800WinPlus 4.0 looks and sound good but it won't recognize the L key. Or the ,.<> keys... Which pretty much make LIST impossible.

Sounds like you have the joystick emulator set to use the keys on the right hand part of the keyboard...L and others. Check your joystick settings....

Oh, thank you, Atarimac! Wow! That's one of those strange 'duh' moments isnt' it?! You were absolutely right! Nice Call! Okay, just by chance, can you figure out my many other problems? :-)

I guess what I need next is (maybe it isn't possible?) a pretend disk in the drive D1 or D2 that I would never have to change. Can I save/load as many lists or binaries as I want? If not, how can I "invent" a new disk and format it and use it, etc.? Is there an 8-bit pretend "hard drive" that might work? :?:

Really, I don't care which emulator I use, at least until I buy another XEGS... What I'd like is one that will pretend to be that 8-bit that I never should have sold. :) I'm doing my darndest to work through some old books (mostly BASIC) and then Assembly. I hope to be able to say "Yeah, I programmed a few 6502 - Atari games in Assembly language," just because I "always wanted to." (Am I giving away my age?) For that matter, I would still like to skateboard a halfpipe! Oh! I'm laughing at myself! :D Who was it that said "youth is wasted on the young?"

><> RedBeard

P.S. Another 'duh' moment: I realized I had the sound turned off of the Darek M. "2000" emu.!

Rybags, thanks again! I will try it, but (he says, stupidly) I'm afraid you may be going past me already. I did copy a known disk image (maybe: DOS SO-AND-SO) formatted it and now I still can not write on it... I am trying to use it as just-another floppy disk. Forgive me, but I'm SO new to all of this...

><> RedBeard

P.S. ADDENDUM: I'm trying to get the (previously posted) MAC/65 cartridge to run now and it refuses. The emulator (winplus) keeps telling me to try changing the machine or the BASIC, but I can't find the right combination.

Can someone tell me what settings/roms/disks/etc. that I would need to "use" the MAC/65 cart with an 800 or XL and a disk drive for storage? Is it easier to try setting up 3-4 disk drives instead of a cartridge?

Edited by RedBeard