IGNORED

HSC Season 3 Week 27: Air Raiders

Ze_ro

Important Note: This week's competition is over, no further scores will be accepted. If you still wish to discuss Air Raiders and compare future scores, feel free to do so!

It's a dogfight... you against the enemy! You're the pilot, gunner, and navigator all in one!! Enemy planes are buzzing you. Anti-aircraft ground forces are shelling you! Get an enemy plane in your sights, and FIRE! Try and shoot down as many as you can! If ground fire (flak) explodes in your sight... you're hit... you quickly lose altitude. Climb back up! Stay clear of the flak, because this week's game is Air Raiders!

Game Information

• Game Name: Air Raiders
  • Released By: M-Network, 1982
  • Left Difficulty: B / Novice
  • Right Difficulty: B / Novice
  • Game Mode: Default
  • Chosen By: Cybergoth

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores will be approximately Tuesday, Jan 24th at 1:30 AM (CST). In case you haven't already done so, please read the High Score Club rules. There is other useful information contained in that previous link, including a list of previous High Score Club games!

As before, next week's game will be chosen by the next person in the member list, which happens to be Luigi301! Please send me a private message with your choice of game for next week!

If you are not a member of the High Score Club, but would like to be, then all you have to do is post a score for this week's game, and I'll add you to the list!

Current High Scores

1. 93 (Rom Hunter) [+11]
  2. 78 (Cybergoth) [+10]
  3. 67 (LarcenTyler) [+9]
  4. 56 (SpiceWare) [+8]
  5. 36 (Galaga_Freak) [+7]
  6. 29 (supercat) [+6]
  7. 24 (vdub_bobby) [+5]
  8. 22 (keilbaca) [+4]
  9. 19 (scogey) [+3]
  10. 16 (MoonlightKnight) [+2]

Best Tips

• Cybergoth [+2]

Bounties and Challenges

• None yet

TwinGalaxies Top 3

(Default Mode)
  1. 112 (Manuel Rotschkar)
  2. 103 (Alan W Hewston)
  3. 57 (Mark Rupprecht)

Current Standings

(Scores compiled by keilbaca... thanks!)

1. SpiceWare [244]
  2. keilbaca [205]
  3. the 5th ghost [115]
  4. khryssun [106]
  5. LarcenTyler [91]
  6. shadow460 [77]
  7. vdub_bobby [71]
  8. sku_u [67]
  9. supercat [65]
  10. scogey [65]
  11. Omegamatrix [59]
  12. Christophero Sly [58]
  13. homerwannabee [53]
  14. video game addict [50]
  15. Cybergoth [47]
  16. D.Yancey [47]
  17. Keir [46]
  18. silverpoodleman [45]
  19. Numan [37]
  20. Robert M [37]
  21. Mordax [33]
  22. Recycled [32]
  23. durden26 [32]
  24. Goochman [31]
  25. Mad Scientist [26]
  26. MoonlightKnight [25]
  27. Fellow Atari Man [24]
  28. panda_racer [23]
  • mitsubachi [22]
  • Rom Hunter [20]
  • Dones [20]
  • Malc74 [19]
  • davepesc [15]
  • bjk7382 [15]
  • vgcollector666 [15]
  • neotokeo2001 [14]
  • xeex [13]
  • brendano [12]
  • gospeedde [12]
  • Thomas Jentzsch [11]
  • Mind Game [9]
  • RJ [9]
  • keitaro [8]
  • Galaga_Freak [7]
  • 128bytes [7]
  • Voch [6]
  • graywest [6]
  • arlo [6]
  • Gamemaster_ca_2003 [4]
  • FireTiger [3]
  • Atarifever [3]
  • Dan Iacovelli [5]
  • mrppv666 [1]
  • Gateway [1]
  • StanJr [1]
  • Luigi301 [1]

Member List

Luigi301, Gateway, Damon Plus, gospeedde, Kepone, internetotaku, panda_racer, KaeruYojimbo, cyberneticimplant, bjk7382, davepesc, neotokeo2001, xeex, bmlbytes, Omegamatrix, the 5th ghost, Xebec's Demise, khryssun, vgcollector666, chadtower, moycon, Malc74, shadow460, Atarifever, Keir, supercat, FireTiger, Philflound, Fellow Atari Man, keilbaca, brendano, Cybergoth, durden26, sku_u, mitsubachi, arlo, Recycled, LarcenTyler, silverpoodleman, 128bytes, Goochman, Thomas Jentzsch, Christophero Sly, D.Yancey, mrppv666, Mordax, Numan, Mordax, vdub_bobby, Dones, Gamemaster_ca_2003, scogey, graywest, RJ, Voch, video game addict, SpiceWare, Robert M, Mad Scientist, Dan Iacovelli

Scoring Points in Air Raiders

Coming Soon

Hints and Tips

As always, you really should read the manual.

What's that? You don't have the manual? Well, AtariAge has a scanned copy of the manual online. Here are the hints it provides:

* Shoot down as many enemy places as you can the first time in the air. Don't refuel until you absolutely need to. The more hits you make, the more ammo you get the next time up!

* When you see flak near your sight, pull back on the joystick so you are climbing when you get hit. This way you don't dive as much when you actually get hit.

-To land, simply slowly lower your plane untill it's at 0 for altitude (you don't want to crash so dive untill you're close to zero, then slowly tap the joystick a few times) and wait for the runway to appear. When it does, press forward on the joystick untill you come to a stop.

-Make your shots count. Since you only get as much ammunition reloaded as hits you made each time up, it's important to try to make sure you don't waste ammunition. Instead of firing off your guns rapidly, try to wait untill a bogey is in your sights, and then press the button to fire a shot at him.

-While you can be attacked at any place at any time, the red zone is especially dangerous.

-If you're being shot while at a low altitude, pull up quickly, since you lose a bit of altitude if you're hit, and one crash ends it all.

My only tip for this game is stay above 10 ALT, that way in case you get "shot down" you won't hit the ground when you lose ALT.
Tips:

- It's advisable to completely finish one formation at a time, else you'll be busy searching singled out planes later...

- If you see other formations while doing that, remember the height where you saw them!

- Stay the hell out of the flak zone, unless it collides with the first tip

- The game requires sort of 2 different playing modes: In your first sortie shoot as *many* planes as possible. In every following launch shoot as *precisely* as possible!

- Be quick on the fire button, else you waste away your ammo with pointless rapid fire.

- Everytime you get shot, you'll sink a little deeper than before, so when in the beginning it's safe to stay 10 (miles or what?) above the ground, it later may require 15 or more.

--Ze_ro

Well, I have the game with the box and cartridge in my room. The box was damaged and I was miffed, but as long as the cartridge works, it's all that matters. For now, here's my first score, which could have been a lot better if I hadn't pushed the wrong button after landing!

(And so far I rank as a Fighter Pilot. Not bad.)

post-1653-1137547708_thumb.jpg

Edited by LarcenTyler

To land, simply slowly lower your plane untill it's at 0 for altitude (you don't want to crash so dive untill you're close to zero, then slowly tap the joystick a few times) and wait for the runway to appear. When it does, press forward on the joystick untill you come to a stop.

At any rate, here's my newest score, and a couple of (measly) tips:

-Make your shots count. Since you only get as much ammunition reloaded as hits you made each time up, it's important to try to make sure you don't waste ammunition. Instead of firing off your guns rapidly, try to wait untill a bogey is in your sights, and then press the button to fire a shot at him.

-While you can be attacked at any place at any time, the red zone is especially dangerous.

-If you're being shot while at a low altitude, pull up quickly, since you lose a bit of altitude if you're hit, and one crash ends it all.

post-1653-1137622516_thumb.jpg

-Make your shots count.  Since you only get as much ammunition reloaded as hits you made each time up, it's important to try to make sure you don't waste ammunition.  Instead of firing off your guns rapidly, try to wait untill a bogey is in your sights, and then press the button to fire a shot at him.

1002638[/snapback]

Basically, you get to play until you've missed a total of about 99 times. Every single miss counts against you in this game. While you can't dally around forever waiting for the perfect shot or you'll run out of fuel, you shouldn't take a shot if you aren't pretty confident of getting a hit.

Hi there!

Ah... finally my landing skill returned! 78 :)

Tips:

- It's advisable to completely finish one formation at a time, else you'll be busy searching singled out planes later...

- If you see other formations while doing that, remember the height where you saw them!

- Stay the hell out of the flak zone, unless it collides with the first tip ;)

- The game requires sort of 2 different playing modes: In your first sortie shoot as *many* planes as possible. In every following launch shoot as *precisely* as possible!

- Be quick on the fire button, else you waste away your ammo with pointless rapid fire. :-o

- Everytime you get shot, you'll sink a little deeper than before, so when in the beginning it's safe to stay 10 (miles or what?) above the ground, it later may require 15 or more.

Greetings,

Manuel

Just a couple of notes:

1. I have received (one of) my replacement hard drives from Maxtor and have gotten my primary system back into a usable state... Although there is still more configuration to be done, this hopefully means I'll be a little more productive with HSC updates and score compiling and such.
  2. No response from Luigi301, so next weeks game is unchosen at the moment. Once again, I'll let you guys decide it. Whoever posts the first (appropriate) game gets it.

--Zero

Just a couple of notes:

2. I have received (one of) my replacement hard drives from Maxtor and have gotten my primary system back into a usable state... Although there is still more configuration to be done, this hopefully means I'll be a little more productive with HSC updates and score compiling and such.

3. No response from Luigi301, so next weeks game is unchosen at the moment. Once again, I'll let you guys decide it. Whoever posts the first (appropriate) game gets it.

--Zero

1005694[/snapback]

Quadrun :)

B/B

Well, that's the end of this weeks edition of the High Score Club. Congratulations to everyone on their scores, and I hope you enjoyed Air Raiders! Join us again next week when we'll take a run at one of the rarest games in the 2600's library!

--Zero