IGNORED

scans of old video games magazines

All 11 issues of AtariAge magaine are scanned and available right here on AtariAge. There is a site that has most of the issues of Joystik available, but the issues many not be complete here. I have a COVER SCAN gallery of all the issues in my collection on my site here. I have a full set of pre crash magazines, including complete collections of all issues of Electronic Games, Electronic Fun, VG Illustrated, Joystik, VG Player, Video Games, Vidiot, Blip, and a few other assorted ones in there too. Unfortunately, scanning entire issues is not going to happen.

Edited by MrRetroGamer

If you read French, you can go to this site:

http://www.abandonware-magazines.org/index.php

They have scans of the wonderful French "Tilt" magazine from the first issue in September 1982 to the last one in January 1994.

Tilt magazine covered consoles (Atari 2600, Coleco, Vectrex, Videopac, etc.), computers (Spectrum, C64, Apple 2, etc.), games, handhelds, etc. If you read French, it is full of great information. Tilt was THE video game magazine in France at the time.

The first issues seem to be based on translations of the US "Electronic Games" magazine (I've never read this magazine, but I'd be interested to do so, to see the similarities). Over time, the publisher developped more "local" content.

There is a site that has most of the issues of Joystik available as full scanned images here.

It is important to note though.. that those are NOT FULL scans. He omitted the pages that dealt with home console games. :sad:

He also left out pages if they had other things.. like stories, etc.

It is important to note though.. that those are NOT FULL scans. He omitted the pages that dealt with home console games.  :sad:

He also left out pages if they had other things.. like stories, etc.

My mistake, I was not aware of that since I just searched for them quickly and didn't actually read them.

Here is a full issue of Electronic Games - from May 1982

http://rapidshare.de/files/12754675/3-EG-May82.zip.html

Thanks for reposting this - I was looking for it today with no luck and I was going to PM you about it! :D

Edited by MrRetroGamer

My mistake, I was not aware of that since I just searched for them quickly and didn't actually read them.

Yeah I actually know the guy who did those. He himself admits it was a mistake to omit those pages. But oh well. Maybe someday I'll put up some new FULL ones :)

Speaking of which, I just noticed that the site has MY scan of the Dec 82 mag (the one that was previously unavailable).. It even has my .nfo file I wrote up :lol: I'm glad to see it's making the rounds :D

Thanks for reposting this - I was looking for it today with no luck and I was going to PM you about it!  :D

Hey no problem! Before I was hosting it on my own webspace which was really limited. But then I found out about that rapidshare.de site (and others) and figured what the heck :) Maybe I'll resurrect that old thread...

In case anyone hasn't heard yet, some guys at http://www.retromags.com/ are scanning magazines. I've just downloaded whatever appeared on alt.binaries.emulators.misc, which is mostly the first dozen or so issues of Nintendo Power. The only one I've seen that isn't Nintendo Power is an issue of Sega Vision.

One thing to be aware of is if you get them as .CBZ or .CBR files, they may be incorrectly named. .CBZ files are supposed to be a ZIP file full of jpegs, and .CBR files are supposed to be a RAR file full of jpegs. Some "comic book reader" programs look at nothing but the file name to decide whether to unzip or unrar the archive, never mind that you can tell from the first four bytes of the file.

Here is a full issue of Electronic Games - from May 1982

http://rapidshare.de/files/12754675/3-EG-May82.zip.html

1014547[/snapback]

I just downloaded it. What is real interesting is looking on page 48-49 where they describe games they DON'T want to see and "Gang Wars" is real close to the plot of GTA:SA. The author of the article should sue them for stealing his crappy game idea :)

Yes, it seems that they are currently doing some heavy maintenance work. I read the related threads in their forum and they're saying that they hope to reopen the site this week-end.

I sure hope they do, because they had so many scans of magazines from the 80's! This was a gold mine!

If anyone is interested, if have a few issues of Tilt (the French translation of Electronic Games) on my hard drive. They're large files, though: 30 to 60 MB

I have issues 1 (September 1982), 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 100, 122 (last issue - January 1994)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes, In Spain were Microhobby (dedicated to sinclair spectrum only) and Micromania (is more like C&VG in UK), and in 8bit era, covering spectrum, amstrad, commodore and msx (the most famous computers here, in that order).

Both magazines from the same .... (ummm publisher? My English...)

scans of microhobby here: http://www.microhobby.org/

and micromania why not? That´s another story ... There is authorization from the publisher to put microhobby in internet, but not to micromania. You can find it searching in p2p anyway...

• 2 weeks later...

I have some Micromanias in pdf format, if you´re interested.

some from the "first age" (starting in 1985), and some from the "second age" (starting in 1988, changing covers design and with bigger format)

Micromania is still publishing as a pc magazine, and for the 20th anniversary, they reprinted in paper the first issue of the secong age. For the first time in years, I buyed micromania again :)

For those interested in a more UK-centric selection of magazines, The World of Spectrum archive (scroll down the page to 'Additional Material') has a huge bunch of magazine scans, including multiformat stuff like Computer and Video Games. If you're going to download, though, be aware of the Acceptable Use Policy Statement so you don't end up being banned.

• 4 weeks later...
If you read French, you can go to this site:

http://www.abandonware-magazines.org/index.php

They have scans of the wonderful French "Tilt" magazine from the first issue in September 1982 to the last one in January 1994.

Tilt magazine covered consoles (Atari 2600, Coleco, Vectrex, Videopac, etc.), computers (Spectrum, C64, Apple 2, etc.), games, handhelds, etc. If you read French, it is full of great information. Tilt was THE video game magazine in France at the time.

The first issues seem to be based on translations of the US "Electronic Games" magazine (I've never read this magazine, but I'd be interested to do so, to see the similarities). Over time, the publisher developped more "local" content.

Oh thanks I didn't know that Tilt was the french version of Electonic Games! I've just downloaded all 122 issues (still missing 70, 72 and 109) that's very interesting... if you can read french of course. What is most interesting is that the consoles in france were shadowed by game computers (C64, ZX81, etc.) during 1984-1987 between the 2600 and the NES. Being french I started with a NES and don't regret to have missed those "game computer" years (too much choice, too much loading before playing, etc.).