IGNORED

How Important is Wattage on a 2600 Power Adapter?

BLarry71

I'm really curious as to knowing this question. I've seen some power adapters for the 2600 show 9W (Part No. CO16353), others using one that shows 12W, also seen some websites listing 11W & 17W on the specs that'll work for the 2600 model.

I've found an adapter that shows I/P: 120V 60Hz, O/P: 9VAC 500 mA, but it not listing an I/P wattage. Does this really matter, and can I use this adapter without frying the board? I need an answer before I buy several of these, I can't afford damaging any 2600 units. The oringinal Atari power adapter shows 9W.

I prefer knowing the facts on this, and not mere guessing. Thanks everyone for reading this and any answers I may receive. :)

1018132[/snapback]

The adapter should be able to supply DC, 9 volts nominal at 500mA. That would translate into an output power of 4.5 watts; the input power would be higher by an amount depending upon the efficiency (if the adapter is 75% efficient at maximum load, the input power would be 6 watts; if 50% efficient, 9 watts). It's fine if the adapter can supply more current, and with most cartridges it will be okay if it supplies a little less (say 300mA). Some carts do take a fair bit of current, however, so a 300mA supply may be inadequate.

Thanks, but put simply can I use a supply that's I/P: 120V 60Hz, O/P: 9VAC 500 mA, without it stating the input wattage on it?  I've seen several PS state different wattages on them...  Thanks again.

1018228[/snapback]

The 2600 requires a DC power supply not an AC one like the one you are talking about. I have heard that the system will power up with an AC supply, but it's probably not a good idea to do that.

Dan

The 2600 requires a DC power supply not an AC one like the one you are talking about. I have heard that the system will power up with an AC supply, but it's probably not a good idea to do that.

1018353[/snapback]

Definitely not a good idea - even if it works, you will almost certainly blow the filter capacitor and the 7805 regulator in a very short time.

WalMart has an adapter that works. It's got 8 different tips, and different voltage settings. It is capable of doing 1300ma(IIRC), but of course, doesn't slam that through...it only puts out what is needed. It ran me about $15, but there isn't much I couldn't use it on, should I need to.