IGNORED

Solaris PAL?

StanJr

Is there a PAL version of Solaris?

I think I may have bought one today. How can I tell the difference? I put it in the VCS and turned it on and the screen rolls vertically ever time. I know PAL games screw with American TV's, but then again it may just be a -up game. How do I tell if this is PAL or just screwed?

Well, needless to say, this PAL Solaris, which looks just like a normal Solaris, does me absolutely NO good. Anyone who has an extra normal Solaris and would like to swap, I'll pay the shipping for the both of us.

FYI: The Solaris cart I have is in excellent shape.

I don't think either of you has a PAL copy of Solaris. On the VCS the games are responsible for synchronizing with the TV themselves. Some games try to use the time it takes to do that properly for other things as well, and Solaris is one of them. Not all TVs are able to recognize the resulting sync signal. But if your TV has a Vhold knob you should be able to adjust the rolling without messing it up for the other NTSC games or the TV broadcast.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

Solaris PAL-NTSC Mistery Solved!

It seems like our Solaris carts are NTSC after all, Eckhard is right, I also got a copy of Solaris (red label) that makes the screen rolls on my 29 inch CATV, at first I was suspicious about if it was NTSC or PAL, I carefully revised all labels and I didn´t found anything saying that it was PAL so by default my cart must be NTSC.

To confirm this and following Eckhard's opinion I hooked a cheap B/W TV NTSC with a V-Hold knob and Voilá! Solaris worked!

Maybe our modern TVs with digital tuners can´t lock correctly to the signal of some VCS games. Go figure.

• 7 months later...

I just bought two shrinkwrapped Solaris from The Midwest Classic.

I had to have one to play off of, so I opened one of them up. I had the exact rolling problem that you guys have described..There was no way I was going to try the other shrinkwrapped one, it would likely do the same exact thing.

First thought that came to my mind was PAL!!

But I looked all over the instructions and box for any reference to PAL, but could find nothing.

Now you guys suggest that it is my TV...and that I'd need an older style TV with adjusters. Well that's just ****ing great...hehe

At least it isn't my game that is the problem!! It was new in the box after all!

What other games do this on the Atari 2600?

[ 06-10-2002: Message edited by: KAZ ]

• 9 years later...