IGNORED

Genesis model one video help

I bought a model 1 Sega Genesis at a thrift store for $2.00 a while ago. I didn't have anything to do with it unitl now; I want to overclock it. Yes, I want to overclock it. The problem is, when I turn it on, the TV dosent display the picture. I tried it on another TV; the screen is gray normally, and then with the Genesis turned on, it turns black, with some gray in it. So I guess it's "reading the Genesis :ponder: ", it's just not displaying the picture. BTW, I'm using the composite video port. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Well... here's the thing...

The Genesis doesn't HAVE a standard composite video port. In ANY model.

That's your problem.

That RCA socket on the back of a Genny1 is from the modulator. It's for an auto-RF switchbox.

Unless I totally misunderstand.

Edited by JB

That's your problem.

That RCA socket on the back of a Genny1 is from the modulator. It's for an auto-RF switchbox.

1022781[/snapback]

Actually they did make a composite cable for the model 1 Genesis. They were pretty uncommon though. Although I do agree it wasn't standard.

That's your problem.

1022781[/snapback]

That's what I meant.

1022783[/snapback]

Okay.

Just to cover the full gamut of possibilities from here...

If changing to an auto-switchbox doesn't fix things(I believe one from an NES/SNES/N64/GameCube will work just as well, though I haven't tested), then I'd recommend scrubbing the cart connector. The Genny seems to be second only to the NES in terms of connector issues in my limited experience.

The RCA-F-type adapter and manual switchboxes that serve the older systems so well... don't work on the auto-switchbox generation.

The Genny, like everything but the 5200 that uses an auto-switchbox, puts voltage onto the line to trigger the switchbox, and it does nasty things to the image if there's not an auto-switchbox there to be triggered.

Personal experience speaking.

That's your problem.

1022781[/snapback]

Actually they did make a composite cable for the model 1 Genesis. They were pretty uncommon though. Although I do agree it wasn't standard.

1022786[/snapback]

Yeah. I made one for mine the other day. Took 2 tries because I had a reversed pinout diagram.

At least Sega used an easily-attainable plug on the Genny1's multi-out.

Yeah. I made one for mine the other day. Took 2 tries because I had a reversed pinout diagram.

1022810[/snapback]

JB you must have got your pinout from the same place (gamesx.com???) as me...as its backwards or from the connector front? I wired it up and my video was audio and my audio was video. :x

Anyway, like JB said before the RCA jack on back is the RF out. If your using composite hook-ups you must have the 8 or 5 pin DIN connector cable (as both work for composite) plugged in, correct? And, if you made it yourself try switching the plugs on the TV around, as you may have them wired in reverse.

Also, I assume you have a cartridge in the slot, 'cause it won't do anything but a black screen without one of those.

If everything stated above is in order, like JB said before, try giving the cartridge slot in the genny and your cart a good cleaning with q-tips and alcohol. You'd be amazed at the results a good cleaning can produce.

That's my $0.02.

1022810[/snapback]

JB you must have got your pinout from the same place (gamesx.com???) as me...as its backwards or from the connector front? I wired it up and my video was audio and my audio was video. :x

Yah. Only mine was 1 lead. I'm using a SegaCD, so my sound's coming out the headphone jack, into the SCD, and out a pair of RCAs there. Made trouble-shooting more difficult since I couldn't just swap plugs.

Damned symmetrical connector...

Thanks for the replies guys. How would I go about cleaning the cartridge slot? Would I just spray air in there or what? JB, you lost me in the whole switchbox thing. I tried using the SNES/ NES gray thing, and that didn't work. I also used just a cord with both male ends, and then a gold adpater that lets me use the cable on newer tv's.

Thanks for the replies guys. How would I go about cleaning the cartridge slot? Would I just spray air in there or what?

Dunno what the best method is.

I've got an old cleaning kit that I use, but that's not exactly easy to scrounge up.

I doubt just spraying air in would help.

Maybe cardboard with something like t-shirt wrapped on it? I think I've seen that recommended.

JB, you lost me in the whole switchbox thing. I tried using the SNES/ NES gray thing, and that didn't work. I also used just a cord with both male ends, and then a gold adpater that lets me use the cable on newer tv's.

The NES switchbox(the "gray thing") would've been the right tool for the job, as far as I know.

I'd double-check right now if it weren't so hard to get behind my TV, but at this point I'd assume a dirty game connector.

Using a straight RCA cable and adapter to hook into the antenna connection results in a VERY nasty picture on my TV. I can easily see other TVs refusing to display anything.

The signal that flips the switchbox does Bad Things if there's no switchbox to be tripped.

Just for grins, I tried hooking my genny directly to the Antenna/RF on channel 3 with on of those rca-F adapters straight through. I must say that I got perfect RF video, even without one of those fancy auto-switch boxes or a DC block. The resulting video was only slightly less sharp as the composite version, as I had them both hooked up similtaneously and could switch between channel 3 and the input jacks for comparison.

However, if you can muster the composite cable that is surely the way to go.

For this discussion though, just give the cart slot and cart a good scrubbing and you should be good to go. I've had good luck using a toothbrush and alcohol to scrub the cart slot and use q-tips with alcohol on the cart pins. Also, try inserting and removing the cart several times before you power up.

Just for grins, I tried hooking my genny directly to the Antenna/RF on channel 3 with on of those rca-F adapters straight through. I must say that I got perfect RF video, even without one of those fancy auto-switch boxes or a DC block.  The resulting video was only slightly less sharp as the composite version, as  I had them both hooked up similtaneously and could switch between channel 3 and the input jacks for comparison. 

You've got a very friendly TV.

I ran out and got some air in a can. I blasted the whole slot out, and then used a toothbrush to scrub out some gunk. I cleaned my carts. After all that, it still didn't work.

So if anyone has any over clockable model 1 Sega Genesis' PM me.

1023405[/snapback]

Well then, I must congratulate you, as you probably have the only truly dead Genesis 1 to be found within the realm AFAIK.

I ran out and got some air in a can. I blasted the whole slot out, and then used a toothbrush to scrub out some gunk. I cleaned my carts. After all that, it still didn't work.

So if anyone has any over clockable model 1 Sega Genesis' PM me.

1023405[/snapback]

Well then, I must congratulate you, as you probably have the only truly dead Genesis 1 to be found within the realm AFAIK.

1023508[/snapback]

You think?