IGNORED

Atari Ethics

I don't know how others feel about bidding on Ebay, Yahoo, etc. against people they know and trade with. For myself, I tend to avoid bidding on items when I see the high bidder is someone I know. Not that I'm afraid of cheesing them off, but I just feel a sense of 'Atari Ethics'. I'll just wait for the next one, or until they are not the high bidder. I give up on many items I really want, but I've also formed some great friendships and trade relationships with folks I lost out to, or who lost out to my bid. Same goes for normal trade, keep the atmosphere clear and don't spoil a contact that is good to you, i.e., never screw over anyone. Any thoughts on the subject of 'Atari Ethics is greatly welcome.

Geo

Hmm..

This is an interesting topic to bring up. Until you mentioned it I have never even thought about this before. After thinking this one out here is what I think:

I agree that if I know the person I wouldn't bid against them until the conditions you already stated had occured. However, it does bare mention that some of us do not have the same names for our Ebay, Yahoo, etc. accounts that we may use here. So sometimes it wouldn't be really obvious that you might be bidding against each other.

For the record I am easy to spot on Ebay and Yahoo...simply look for "crossbow777" and that is probably 99% of the time...me.

Thanks, glad to hear I'm not alone on this thought (didn't really think I was, too many good folks out there in the Atari community). I'll try not to crash your bids, my Ebay user name is stellasboneyard.

Okay, back to your Atari!

Edited by TunnelRunner

Hehhe.

Tunnel Runner...

Your George Reese then? You run the boneyard...my Stella is number 15 (Sears Heavy Sixer).

I actually would have figured out your name from the ebay account you listed.

Anyway, that is cleared up now.

[ 07-02-2001: Message edited by: -^Cro§Bow^- ]

Hi all,

I agree with George (and others). I try to avoid bidding against my good collecting friends. I have mutual understandings about this with at least a dozen people.

Yes, that means it's sometimes hard to get your hands on stuff you still need (especially people in the 'advanced' stage of collecting, who need all the same games). But that's just part of the hobby.

Of course, when it's really rare stuff, it's, like Tempest says, every man for himself!

Cheers,

Marco

• 3 weeks later...

that brings a tear to my eye (if there was a "bring a tear to my eye" smiley it would be here) Atari ethics i love it i ussually never bid on things people have already bid on i ussually use buy it now but ill keep a look out for you guys when im on eBay and you keep an eye out for me eBay name=Hellion555