IGNORED

Best N64 Driving Games?

Does this include Kart games?

Besides the obvious brilliance of Mario Kart 64, Diddy Kong Racing is a terrific game-- the most developed story mode in a Kart game I've ever seen...Co-Op play, big bad bosses, secret levels... and hands down has better battle modes than Mario Kart. Plus, it's a "fair" racer, no rubber banding, no super powerups for the guy in back, powerups of the same type in the same place, and you can "stack em up" to make 'em more powerful.

The karting doesn't have quite as good a feel as Mario Kart, but I think the hovercraft and airplane options make up for it.

Any of the 3 San Fransisco Rush titles are superb. Particularly Rush 2049, it's chock full of goodies and extras, and has a 4-player battle mode as well. Of course, this same game is available as the Dreamcast version on Midway Arcade Treasures 3, and this is easier to find.

However, Rush 2 is an N64 exclusive, so I think that one is definitely worth getting on cartridge. Hydro Thunder and California Speed aren't bad either.

no super powerups for the guy in back

I've always liked this in Mario Kart 64.

And I've also always liked the battles in Mario Kart 64; the one complaint I would have is that the arenas are all too big for less than 4 players. Well, the rooftop is small enough for two.

no super powerups for the guy in back

I've always liked this in Mario Kart 64.

And I've also always liked the battles in Mario Kart 64; the one complaint I would have is that the arenas are all too big for less than 4 players. Well, the rooftop is small enough for two.

Sometimes the rubberband effect is nice (and sometimes I miss it in DKR, which can sometimes be decided in the first quarter lap of a race), but I get sick of close matches being decided by red shells.

Battle mode wise though, MK64 never did a lot for me.....but DKR had cars w/ missles, a cool "gather and protect eggs" game, some hovercraft duels, and grab the bananas...just more variety.

Edited by kisrael

IMO Ridge Racer 64 is the best overall, with Beetle Adventure Racing a close second and Excitebike a close third. Wipeout 64 and Road Rash 64 are surprisingly good, considering the N64 is probably the last system you think of when you think of those titles (not that it is the first system you think of when you think Ridge Racer).

IMO Ridge Racer 64 is the best overall, with Beetle Adventure Racing a close second and Excitebike a close third. Wipeout 64 and Road Rash 64 are surprisingly good, considering the N64 is probably the last system you think of when you think of those titles (not that it is the first system you think of when you think Ridge Racer).

Excitebike was so damn tough...and you had to get so good at it to get to the unlockables.

I admire FZero on that system for making the unlockables a special cheat code away...

• 2 weeks later...