IGNORED

Splitting TOS 2.06 image to burn?

Hi,

I am trying to burn a TOS 2.06 image for my Mega STE. I have to split the file in two files to burn to ROMs. I used a PC program called WinHEX that can split every other word to make a new file, and I used it to make a Amiga 1200 kickstart ROMs successfully. The question I have is for the LOW and HIGH ROMs on the Atari. The low is the first set and high the second set? ROM 1 and ROM 2 is LOW/HIGH Correct?

Hi,

I am trying to burn a TOS 2.06 image for my Mega STE. I have to split the file in two files to burn to ROMs. I used a PC program called WinHEX that can split every other word to make a new file, and I used it to make a Amiga 1200 kickstart ROMs successfully. The question I have is for the LOW and HIGH ROMs on the Atari. The low is the first set and high the second set? ROM 1 and ROM 2 is LOW/HIGH Correct?

I believe thats correct.

Although the ROMs I have are listed as "EE" and "EO".

EE goes in ROM 1 and EO goes in ROM 2.

HTHs.

It is easy. I hope you have the English version (if not there is patch for german rsc file in the archive). I am using the program together with Junior-Prommer for programming EPROMs. If you have not aproproate programming hardware you can still use it for preparing data for burning.

Choose type of memory you have (Options -> Choose Type).

Load your image.

Choose which part of image you want to use for programming (Options->Split Even/Odd).

Now you can programm the EPROM or just save part to disk. The program asks you what you want to save (whole file or selected part).

I hope it is enough. My English is not good enough for writing how-tos.

Edited by krupkaj

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

Does anyone know how to split 1.04 single .img file into 6 images? I can write a win32 exe to do this if anyone knows how to split the file? I guess I need to also understand which 3 will be LO and which HI?

Searched loads for this and cannot find anything detailing the process.

1) Split into high/low-Byte

2) Split both files in 32K segments

Edited by Lynxman
  • Like 1

Thanks! You've got some awesome utilities on your site - just looking at your site has saved me posting more questions. I was going to ask for apps to make ST think it has 0.5 / 1 mb but thats on your site =)

Is it a.good idea to put 1.04 on my STFM or should I stick with 1.02, or us there any reason to go to 1.03 or other?

• 2 years later...

@ All

I have just split the tos206US into 2 files :-

tos206us.lo with a checksum of A695 (h)

tos206us.hi with a checksum of 27C2 (h)

does anybody know if this is correct.

and / or is there a listing of checksums somewhere Please.

Thanks

Ray W__________

Edited by Audronic

TOS 2.06 calculates checksum at every boot (reset). So, if it does not complain during it, checksums are OK.

If you did split and checksum fix with romsplit (link above) then it must be OK. CRC calculation used by fixing is taken from TOS 2,06 himself :)

And, checksums are at end of TOS - just need to combine properly. I guess A6 with 27 and 95 with C2 - you'll figure it out .

• 7 years later...

Is my problem of not detecting my hard drive on the 1040STF simply because that Atari ST only has TOS 1.0, i have 6 sockets with TOS 1.0 in them, what I want to do is put TOS 2.06 into my 1040 ST.

Russ

PS: I have 2 extra Eprom Burner kits all complete if anyone desires one. I am not interested in cash for them, perhaps a trade of some sort?

And I have one external SF314 drive without power supply or cables, and 4 Atari Internal drives for trade.

Edited by rcamp48

2 minutes ago, rcamp48 said:

Is my problem of not detecting my hard drive on the 1040STF simply because that Atari ST only has TOS 1.0, i have 6 sockets with TOS 1.0 in them, what I want to do is put TOS 2.06 into my 1040 ST.

Russ

PS: I have 2 extra Eprom Burner kits all complete if anyone desires one. I am not interested in cash for them, perhaps a trade of some sort?

STF can only work with TOS 1.04 and below if you want to take the easy route. Just needs 6 new EPROMs.

For TOS 2.06 you need some decoder logic. So additional hardware is needed. That is because TOS below 1.04 is 192Kb and TOS 1.06 and higher is 256Kb so it will not fit at the same address space.