IGNORED

Mega Man Best Order to Completion

StanJr

I don't know if we have done this before, but I just put Mega Man to bed and thought I would share.

I found this to be the best order to beat the Robots in:

Bombman

Gutsman

Cutman

Elecman

Iceman

Fireman

Wily

Each weapon acquired easily defeats the next Robot. I managed to get to Wily's level without losing a single man. Wily's level is a different story! :)

Also, is it just me or does Mega Man look a LOT like AstroBoy without his armor????

I take it you're talking about the NES version? The PSP game (which I highly recommend) has two extra bosses, plus new vulerabilities for all the bosses. And here they are!

Cutman < Guts

Timeman < Electricity

Gutsman < Time

Oilman < Fire

Iceman < Bomb

Bombman < Cut

Elecman < Oil (but only the slider)

Fireman < Ice

Note that you can also use these counter weapons against Dr. W when he attacks you with any of the other weapons on this list. For instance, when he tosses bombs, hit him with Cutman's scissors.

JR

Geezus christ Stan don't tell me this is your first time playing Megaman.. :P I guess since that game's still fresh for you now it's time to play the remake, Mega Man Powered Up on the PSP (which really rocks by the way)

..or I guess just Megaman 2 if you wanna just want to move on to 1989 :D

Well, for the original NES version my order was this:

Gutsman

Cutman

Elecman (use Power Arm to get the Magnet Beam first run)

Iceman

Fireman

Bombman

Dr. W

Though on the Genesis/MegaDrive versions and the GameCube collection I would definitely suggest BombMan as a start (you don't really need FireStorm to kill him).

i used the same order, but started with Cutman.

the one flaw of mega man games is that the game gets easier as you aquire more weapons

the first mega man is a fairly hard to find game, so its understandable that a person can be playing it for the first time

I have respect for anybody that can beat Mega Man with using only the Arm Cannon, without cheats. That is a real challenge.

Does Wily take pea shooter damage in this one?

I know in MM2 only the bubble lead damages him, but I can't remember how it works in MM1.

I have respect for anybody that can beat Mega Man with using only the Arm Cannon, without cheats. That is a real challenge.

Well I didn't do all the bosses with just my arm cannon, but most of them. The reason being that I always did them in a random order and usually the weapons I had didn't do much damage to the bosses and were slower. My trick was to always do a little hop while firing over and over again. For some reason when you did that little jump it would trick the AI into thinking you were going to do a large jump and they would usually run around rather than shoot at you. In fact most of the time the damage I took was from the boss running into me. This strategy didn't work for the Wily bosses though, they were too tough for that (especially that damn rock monster).

Tempest

in the original, you could cheat by using the elec beam, then rapidly pressing select to pause/unpause the game. every time the game was unpaused, it registerd a hit, so you could defeat wily with one or two shots.

I knew about that trick at the time, but it seemed kinda worthless to me. For me, there wouldn't be any satisfaction in beating the game using that trick.

Yeah, Fire works really well against Wily, but you'll run out of power before he is defeated. Finish him off with Elecman's weapon (but don't cheat, you sissy!)

And no, I had played this a lot as a kid, but never beat Wily. I finally found it for a reasonable price ($1) and picked it up, so I am enjoying it again!

Gosh, talking about Mega Man on a pre-NES retro-centric forum feels really weird, but hey, I love Mega Man, especially the original series on NES. :D

Anyway, I usually start with Bomb Man, since he's a pushover with the standard Mega Buster when you know the correct strategy to use (which is essentially to run towards him continuously to force him to jump around instead of tossing bombs).

I never start with Cut Man because I like to use the trick where you can pick up a block outside Cut Man's lair (using the Super Arm), and carry it inside. Not only do you have three blocks to throw at Cut Man instead of two, but if you throw the block you are carrying the instant the fight starts, it will always land directly on Cut Man's noggin', taking away half his energy in a cold second! Pick up and toss one of the other two blocks in the room, and you're done!

As for the Wily levels, I know the pattern of the Yellow Devil's flying blobs so well that they only touch me when I'm not careful. I would never use anything else than the Thunder Beam against it though, because the eye usually appears in a spot that's out of reach of most weapons, most notably the Mega Buster. The Mega Man copy is easy to beat with the Fire Storm, as long as you jump up slightly so that the fire wave is aligned with the second row of colored squares. The copy will get hit even if it tries to jump. The Bubble Drones in the third Wily level are easy to beat, if you have a good trigger finger: kill the first slow ones with the Mega Buster, and use the Super Arm to throw blocks at the last four. Real easy if you keep a cool head.

For Wily himself, I too use the Fire Storm at first, because the barrier of fire that surrounds Mega Man for a couple of seconds does a lot of damage to Wily's machine when you jump up near it. For the second half of the fight, I use the Rolling Cutter, because I can launch it and then run to the safe spot under Wily's machine, where the whirling spheres can't reach me. Even better, a single Rolling Cutter can score multiple hits if you throw it from the right spot while Wily's Machine is moving from left to right.

I have never been able to beat a Mega Man game :_( But I just got MM3 for the NES and I was able to beat two bosses making me feel a little optimistic. Does anybody know the best order to fight the bosses in MM3?
My recommendations:

1 ) Start with Top Man. He's easy to beat with the Mega Buster.

2 ) Use the Top Spin against Shadow Man. Be careful: There is a bug in the game where you can empty the meter of the Top Spin without damaging Shadow Man! To avoid this bug, try to touch Shadow Man with the Top Spin while he's making high jumps. Touching him with the Top Spin when he's sliding toward you is never a good idea.

3 ) The best weapon against Gemini Man is the Search Snake, but since you don't have it yet, use the Shadow Blade. There are ways to use the Shadow Blade more effectively: While there are two Gemini Men on the screen, place yourself a little to the left of the center of the room, toss a Shadow Blade to the right while standing on the ground, and then jump straight up just as one of the Gemini Man is about to ram into you from the left side. If you time it right, the Shadow Blade will hit Gemini Man as it returns. Repeat this technique until one of the Gemini Men dies. After that, keep firing Shadow Blades at the remaining Gemini Man, only now you must jump up and toss each blade in mid-air, because Gemini Man will jump up each time you fire a weapon.

4 ) You can take care of Needle Man easily with the Gemini Laser. The only thing to remember is that it's preferable to fire the laser at close range, because if it misses Needle Man, the laser can bounce around the walls for quite a while before you can fire another shot. Sliding in close to Needle Man is a good strategy, as long as you don't ram into him and take unecessary damage.

5 ) The Needle Cannon is the best weapon against Snake Man. Just stay near the door, and fire needles while jumping up and down. With some good aim, Snakey will go downy easely.

6 ) The Shadow Blade is the weapon of choice against Spark Man, not only because it does a lot of damage, but also because you can fire it at a 45-degree angle. Just toss blades at Spark Man like crazy and he will go down in no time.

7 ) Next is Magnet Man, which is actually weak to two weapons: The Shadow Blade and the Spark Shock. Use either weapon with some precision to defeat him easely.

8 ) Last is Hard Man. Some prefer starting the game with him because he's easy to defeat with the Mega Buster, but I prefer waiting until I have the Shadow Blade and all three Rush items, to make the journey through Hard Man's level a little easier. Anyway, use the Magnet Missile on Hard Man, but remember not to shot missiles at him while he's flashing in white, or else you'll waste missiles without inflicting damage (this tip is valid for all Robot Masters in MM3, BTW).

Hope this helps.

In MM3, there are "two cycles":

First Cycle: Top Man, Shadow Man, Spark Man, Magnet Man, Hard Man

Second Cycle: Snake Man, Gemini Man, Needle Man

The first cycle is easy to enter with Top Man's, but the second cycle is hard because none of those three are pushovers like Top Man. I use Snake Man because he has a reliable pattern and is pretty easy to beat once you have mastered it. Stay on the center platform as much as possible, jump over him when he leaps up onto it, then turn around and jump back, firing all the while.

As for Mega Man II, Difficult=Normal on all other Mega Mans. Its far more rewarding to play it and beat it on Difficult.