IGNORED

Best version of LODE RUNNER?

Adrian M

Lode Runner is one of my all-time favorite classic games. Which version is your favorite?

For me, I'd have to rank my selections like so:

1.) Lode Runner Macintosh 128K version

2.) Lode Runner for Palm OS

3.) Battle Lode Runner for TG16/PC ENGINE (they modernized this enough to make it fun and the multiplayer modes really rule!)

The NES versions truly suck primarily because they make the sprites too big and force you to scroll horizontally to see the reset of the level! UGH!!

Broderbund owned the rights to Lode Runner at one point, but I believe they got bought out by some other company is the mid 90's. Anyone know who?

As for the best version, I think it's the original Apple IIe version. Lode Runner and Karateka were the first two games I got for my Apple (bootlegged from my neighbor of course

Tempest

The cool thing about the XEGS version of Lode Runner is that all the levels that were on the disk version are immediately accessible via the banked ROM. So it's like having a ramdisk or fast hard drive. And the XEGS version still has a level editor and disk support. So it's the best of both worlds.

Since I was an 8-bit Atari person with my 130XE back in the day, I got the best of both worlds as far as the 800 version and the XEGS version and they are my favorites because I've never played another version. But, I prefer Load Runner's Rescue on the XE with it's isometric 3D graphics and fantasticly true-to-the-original gameplay mechanics, only adjusted for the 3D. I LOVE THAT GAME.