IGNORED

Work Disks found in loft including Music by R. Munns and Metrocross screen dump and demo

Plastron

Disks_1_to_5.zipOK here are 5 disks i found which have all kinds of Mac and Basic files on them have a play.

Disk 1 have music on it they are all in Turbo basic not yet coded for games. "GAMEMUS.BAS" was done by me and is used in COUNTDOWN the game.

Disk 2 is stuff from Heartache / Heartbreak

Disk 3 Just work stuff for Metro Cross demo

Disk 4 no idea

Disk 5 Has a bin file of Metro Cross demo which can be run via DOS load command

Metro Cross was an ST game by US Gold and i knock up this demo in about 5 hours. It was sent to US GOLD and I got the green light to do the game but they did not give me a contract so i did not do any more. It would not have been much use to copy a game and then try to get paid if they did not offer enough i would have been stuck with the game and no one else could publish it.

You may guess the work was not wasted look at Plastron

Hope you find these disk images of use.

Will try to run the Mac files on my machine and see what is there.

There are some basic charactor set editors on the disk and screenmaker too

Andy

Edited by Plastron
  • Like 1

Now I see where you got your inspiration... When was the Metro-Cross demo done? We'll gladly add this to our site :)

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

Will this was done sometime in 1988 to 1989 it is very basic as i remember there was only about 5 hour of work in knocking up this demo. I did the graphics and the programming over a couple of evenings as you can see Richard had not done any of his magic on them yet so things were not as good as they would have been had it gone on to become a full game.

The source is also there on the disk images as well as the binary file.

Andy

Richard was a very skilled guy with music. The tune for Plastron as i remember it was very slow in basic and did not sound good at all. Quite how he knew what it would be like when it was running full speed is still beoynd me today but just listen to it and you will not believe this was in basic and to slow to hear.

I am not sure what happened to Richard but i wish i had 10% of the skill he had with Music and Art but you will see from Metro Cross that i did not hehehehe

Edited by Plastron

Plastron/Andy.... how about getting Albert (Al) to host the game on his w/s (demo only...initially for free) and then change peeps a couple of quid to download the full game (when you've finished, properly coding it)

England winning the world cup... youv'e got to be bloody Joking haven't you, i've probably got a better chance of winning the national lottery 3 times on the spin then england have of lifting the WC trophy

Just one thing about the actual game plastron, plastron/andy... why is it that the same level is repeated over and over again (ATR version), i got bored after playing the same level after the 10th or 11 time (i did have some help from a nifty pc util called artmoney)

Plastron/Andy.... how about getting Albert (Al) to host the game on his w/s (demo only...initially for free) and then change peeps a couple of quid to download the full game (when you've finished, properly coding it)

England winning the world cup... youv'e got to be bloody Joking haven't you, i've probably got a better chance of winning the national lottery 3 times on the spin then england have of lifting the WC trophy

Just one thing about the actual game plastron, plastron/andy... why is it that the same level is repeated over and over again (ATR version), i got bored after playing the same level after the 10th or 11 time (i did have some help from a nifty pc util called artmoney)

This demo was written in around 1988 and i have not written now for the Atari for a long time. The source of the Demo is there and also the source for Plastron is out there which has some routines that could be used to help make this into a game. Anyone who wants to take on the challenge can feel free to do so.

In Plastron the first 3 floors have the same floor plan with a changes of Character set to make them look different. So in effect screens 4 7 10 (and so on) are new layouts each one getting harder to complete more stuff to slow you down etc.

• 1 month later...
Desktop.zip

OK it was that i was using .rar and it did not like that so lets see if this works

Enjoy

Is this stuff to download? I will check this out. Obviously everybody else is sleeping ;)

Yes i messed up a bit could not work out how to post the files so i have just added the files to the first post too changed name as well to disk 1 to 5

There is some nice stuff on the disks to show you how Richrad Munns did his music.

Thank you, Plastron, for stuff given to public. Sure, I checked the source code, music is well done, indeed. And the best thing, it's in pure BASIC and Turbo BASIC. With Turbo BASIC XL Metro Cross, could be completed, as TBXL is very fast, no need for machine language.

Does anybody has plans to finish Metro Cross?

I will add these sources to my library if it is ok Plastron.

Thank you, Plastron, for stuff given to public. Sure, I checked the source code, music is well done, indeed. And the best thing, it's in pure BASIC and Turbo BASIC. With Turbo BASIC XL Metro Cross, could be completed, as TBXL is very fast, no need for machine language.

Does anybody has plans to finish Metro Cross?

I will add these sources to my library if it is ok Plastron.

Please feel free to added them any thing i can find i will make public it may be interesting to people to see how it was done all that time ago before the tools that are there today.

Please feel free to added them any thing i can find i will make public it may be interesting to people to see how it was done all that time ago before the tools that are there today.

Yes, it was very hard to compose in a READ - DATA manner with all those notes wrote down as opposed to now when we can use many tools to do same work very quickly. I found in your source simple 16-bit channel sound generation, very nice.

As I see there are Atari BASIC listings on disks, for example on disk 1, with Turbo BASIC XL enabled (AUTORUN.SYS). Nice touch, I use the same system, for improved speed. Most listings do not have notes about authorship in REM statements. I will retrieve all these disks for my source code library, but I don't know who created them, you or R. Munns.

As I see there are Atari BASIC listings on disks, for example on disk 1, with Turbo BASIC XL enabled (AUTORUN.SYS). Nice touch, I use the same system, for improved speed. Most listings do not have notes about authorship in REM statements. I will retrieve all these disks for my source code library, but I don't know who created them, you or R. Munns.

LOL it was so long ago. The CHR set editors and PMG editors were as i remeber taken from Antic or Analog with some changes to make them suit our needs. Not sure what other basic stuff was on there i have not checked them all. All the music was by Richard execpt Count Down which i did after playing around with one of Richards players.