IGNORED

NEW MIO production run.

MEtalGuy66

I probably won’t buy one of those MIO boards. So I believe I’m more impartial and less subjective than others in this thread. And that’s exactly why I decided to post.

I cannot but share Ken’s feeling and attitude to “atari4all” post.

In first place, this thread is not the right place for critics (valid or not) to the project. In second place, the main point of the project is 100% compatibility with the original MIO board. There are obvious many alternatives, and some might like them more. But what Ken is doing, and what many people want, is something as close as possible to the original MIO design.

This is a vintage, small-scale project. Nobody can expect from Ken to do all prototyping steps that a big hardware manufacturer could do for a massive-scale device. Yeah, he might have made a mistake, so what? Supporting the user and commitment to solve the problems is much more important, and what really matters.

Lastly, I admit I would have been as suspicious as Ken. A (not very) constructive critic as a first post of a new member, is at least, not very polite. Others, in Ken’s place, perhaps would have been more cautious in his reply. But most would have feel the same as he did.

Thank you guys for speaking in support of me...

It is great to know I have your support.

But please, lets put an end to this conversation, as it fills the thread with unnecesary and useless messages,

and I really want to keep this thread on the topic of progress status reports, and useful comments/information

for the benefit of those who have invested their money in this project. I'm currently making preparations

to enter the most comprehensive phases of this project, and I really would prefer people not have to sift

through stuff like this to get to my posts, and those of other users, in support of the project.

My 100% refund offer stands, and is available to every single buyer, right up to the day they recieve their board,

plug it into their ATARI, and see it work as promised.

Thanks again, guys.

Edited by MEtalGuy66

JULY 1st is the CUTOFF DATE FOR ORDERING THIS BOARD!

paypal to kjones66@earthlink.net

MIO Mainboard, fully populated/tested functional is $150.00US

MIO Mainboard + XE PBI EXTNDR board is $190.00US

Not trying to rain on the MIO parade but all this seems VERY risky. To skip the prototype phase of a design

and go straight into production is not well advised. Even if you have verified every part of the circuit with

the origional, that in no way guarantee's that your board will work. Don't get me wrong, I am not questioning

your ability at all, its just that there are always gotcha's in any hardware design project. Assuming that the

hardware does work there is still the issue of finding hard disk drives that will work with the old SASI/SCSI

interface of the MIO. Even when the MIO was first released by ICD there were only a handful of the many

SCSI drives available that would actually work.

atari4all

Yeah those points have already been stated several times, and as far as skipping the prototype phase, thats not what's been done here.

You have zero knowldege of what I have or haven't "prototyped", or any of the work that has been done by me or others, which has culminated in the final production spec of this product.

If you look at my reputation, of all the things Ive built and sold in the atari community, not to mention a 100% EBAY rating, I think you can take my word when I promise to deliver a 100% funtional and tested unit.

I also think, in light of the fact that I myself did the work on the layout of the new board, that I can confidently say that its a 100% electrical equivelant to the original design, and any issues that may arise will be

due to parts tolerances and/or changes in operating characteristics of more recently produced devices verus their 1987-1990 counterparts. I am fully prepared to deal with this during the assembly/testing phase, and have made ample allowances in both time and funding, as well as flexibility of build options and parts selection. Or As the locals put it, "This ain't my first Rodeo." I also think in light of the previous work Ive done with various production date MIOs, I am fully aware of the inherent "temperamentality" of the design, and am fully qualified to asess the "risk", as you put it.

As far as the SCSI device compatability issue, That is an inherant characteristic of the original design. Anyone who uses an MIO has to locate the appropriate additional hardware (drives, mfm-scsi controllers, etc.) to create a complete hardisk system. Original MIOs sell for quite a bit on EBAY.. In fact several times what I am charging for these boards. Nowhere have I represented that an MIO will work with all SCSI hardisks, and anyone who buys one of these is fully aware that what they are getting is a 100% functional equivelant to the original MIO interface. The purpose for this project, which Ive stated several times on this thread, is to make this device available to people who want one, for a decent price. Regardles of the shortcommings of the MIO, it is still the best supported hardisk interface for the ATARI 8-bit, especially from a spartados standpoint.

I hope this dispells any doubts you may have created in the minds of the people who had the good faith and guts to support me in this project.

But if thats not enough, I will personally guarantee full refund of 100% of EVERYONE's money in the event that I cannot deliver 100% functional, compatable, and tested STABLE units.

The people who have put their money forward in good faith here have my word and reputation to back them, and I really don't appreciate the pesimistic comments especially in light of the fact that there are possibly people on here with a lesser understanding of the nature of these projects than you or I.

I also notice, that whoever you are, you actually went through the trouble to create an new account on here today JUST to post this message, did not post any other messages to any other threads, and that all of the information in your user profile has been left empty, or kept anonymous. This leads me to believe that if in fact you are a person with any degree of credibility, knowledge, or personal experience to back what you've said, that you need to seriously GROW SOME BALLS and post under your normal account. If you just happen to be someone who coincidentally logged onto this forum for the first time, and happened to stumble apon this thread, and post only this single message on this thread, out of the entire forum, then you should at least enlighten me as to who you are, and on what basis you choose to criticize my ability to deliver what I have promised (because regardless of your "rain on the parade" disclaimer, that's exactly what you are doing.) I would really prefer you didn't do it here, as this thread is specifically for the purpose of following the PROGRESS of this project and providing updates to those who have invested their money. I'd really prefer it not become a controversy thread debating the specifics of how I choose to develop/produce the products.

That said.. Thank you for your advice...

Frankly your unhinged rant in response to my observations speak volumes

to your unprofessionalism and lack of maturity. Your ego seems rather thin skinned

and fragile to react in such a manner. Just because I am a new member to this forum

does not in any way prevent me from expressing my opinions or comments about any

thread posted here. Instead of re-hashing other engineers 25 year old design why not

enhance the MIO with an updated SCSI interface faster serial I/O or USB & Ethernet

capability. That would truly put you in the "Rodeo".

That said, have a nice day :)

Back in the hay day of the Atari. ICD sold $70,000 dollars worth of SpartaDos x carts, and $200,000 dollars worth of mio's before they built the first one! They stood behind there product just as Ken is standing behind his. I have spoken with him on the phone for hours going over what he has already gone over 3 or 4 time. I have no dought in my mind he will dilliver a better product than ICD did. If a person has not invested there time or money in this project I personally think they should keep there comments to themselves.

Stephen J. Carden

• 2 weeks later...

Ok.. I have several items to report..

First, the XE PBI EXTNDR boards are here.. I will have them assembled by the end of the week, to ship out monday.

I have posted a picture in the other thread.

Those of you who ordered MIOs and EXTNDRs will get all of your stuff in one package, when the MIOs are complete..

The 4 people who ordered EXTNDR boards ONLY, I will go ahead and ship those orders monday.

Ok. Progress on the MIO..

The boards are still scheduled to be here on July 21st. All of the parts are either here already, or will be here well before the 21st.

There are 2 parts on backorder. These are scheduled to arrive no later than augiust 15th.. These are "plug in" parts, so this will not delay assembly at all. I have enough parts in stock to go ahead and do my post production build analysis and testing. Once this is done, and I am happy with the build specs, I will go ahead and begin assembling all of the boards. This is going to take me quite some time anyway. When the last few parts arrive, in august, I will simply plug them in, test the boards, and ship out the orders.

The parts that are on backorder are the 2 resistor networks (bus terminators). THey are pretty obsolete, and are having to come straight from the manufacturer. None of the vendors stock them anymore.

Thanks for your patience on all of this, guys..

And last but certainly not least...

The MIO will ship with a copy of Steve Carden's new DOS.

REALDOS is a massively improved version of SPartaDOS, that has been rebuilt and optimized from the

ground-up.

Much emphasis has been placed on correctly "AUTO-SENSING" just about any possible configuration of ATARI

hardware that could possibly be pieced together. REALDOS does this at boot-up, and loads the appropriate support code

for your hardware, in the appropriate places in memory.

Also, all of the commands and sparta-toolkit utilities, including those for the MIO, blackbox, various extended memory upgrades, all features of the

APE program and interface, etc. have been optimized and modernized.

I have been using a beta release version of this DOS from Steve on all my ATARIs for a month now, and It's easily the highest level of functionality

I've ever gotten out of an 8-bit ATARI.

Check out Steve's Post in this thread for more info:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=90278

Edited by MEtalGuy66

And last but certainly not least...

The MIO will ship with a copy of Steve Carden's new DOS.

REALDOS is a massively improved version of SPartaDOS, that has been rebuilt and optimized from the

ground-up.

I have been using a beta release version of this DOS from Steve on all my ATARIs for a month now, and It's easily the highest level of functionality

I've ever gotten out of an 8-bit ATARI.

Check out Steve's Post in this thread for more info:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=90278

All I've got to say about that is: Kick ass!

Thanks Ken, I know it will be worth the wait...

-- geoff76 (JGS Enterprises)

I recieved the MIO PCBs yesterday.

Ive got one about 2/3 assembled. As soon as I get it finished, I'll upload a picture.

Hay all you Hard core Atari users. Ken got the mio production board yesterday. I received all of the Stock that Bob Puff had on the mux board Today! Gonna order parts in a few mins.

Stephen J. Carden

My excitement and anticipation levels are just about unbearable!!! LOL

I know. Its bearable for me because I can see the development 1st hand. I could not have come back to the Atari at a better time. :cool: The only thing I can complain about is my checkbook getting lighter. :(

Hay all you Hard core Atari users. Ken got the mio production board yesterday. I received all of the Stock that Bob Puff had on the mux board Today! Gonna order parts in a few mins.

Stephen J. Carden

Horray! There's another piece of classic Atari hardware that I'll finally have the opportunity to own!

Between the mux boards and the new MIO boards, not to mention the new DOS, the Atari 8-bit computer world is really getting exciting! I too am glad I'm getting back into it in a serious way, after being a "casual" user for many years.

Welp, here it is... MIO-B REV. 1....

Serial No. 0001

newmio1.jpg

And.... ANother important shot of the solder side of the board...

newmio2.jpg

Check out page one of this thread, in the topic post... I "updated" that pic too.

Hope you guys like what you see so far...

All though, I must say that the pictures dont do it justice.. You can see your reflection in these babys..

It really is a beautiful board...

Edited by MEtalGuy66

:-o :-o :-o :love: :love: :love: :lust: :lust: :lust:

I like it !!!

I especially like the fact that you're taking the time to socket every last chip on the board. I recently socketed all the chips in my 130XE, and it made me wish that every manufacturer would make the extra effort to socket their chips.

That does look like a very nice board, too; it's a whole lot nicer than the 130XE boards Atari made.

:thumbsup:

All I can say is...

UnF***ingBelievable!!!

What an awesome job!!! And being immortalized on a piece of Atari history, I think I'm about to crap myself!!

Seriously, Ken, amazing job. I can't wait to try it out. And for the nod on the back of the board, completely unnecessary, but thanks just the same. My own little mark in Atari history!!

This thing is almost like a rebirth of not just an era in computers but an era in life when the Atari and its peripherals were at the leading edge of a technological revolution. A lot of people I know look at me funny when I show them the huge collection of Atari I have, but I look at it and think how cool is it that something that was produced 25+ years ago can still be so much fun and still be as useful on a regular basis. Not to mention to still have so much activity in the way of new programs and hardware being turned out like the MIO.

Have I played my Atari today??? You bet your ass I have!!!

That MIO board is absolutely beautiful. You have, yet once again, out-done yourself. I know everyone here, who has purchased this board, will be incredibly impressed. As are your friends, with the sheer dedication and determination you put into your work.

As always, job well done! Keep up the good work!

Thank you all for the complimnets and encouragement..

I would have put ALL of the names of the people who pre-ordered on the back of the board, if there was room.

Toan, Dan, and Adam were the three who disassembled their original MIOs for me to analyze...

Steve Carden, as you all know, is working closely with me, to provide the fullest level of software support for this device. He will also be working on

updated firmware releases for it.

I am currently working with the board, to decide how Im going to wire the RAM logic. (notice empty sockets in the RAM area).. This is very timing dependant, and is going to require some additional testing..

Stay tuned for more updates....