IGNORED

HSC Season 4 Week 7: Jungle Hunt

Ze_ro

Important Note: This week's competition is over. If you still wish to discuss Jungle Hunt and compare future scores, feel free to do so in this thread, but no further scores will be added to the standings.

Let me introduce myself: Sir Dudley Dashly is the name, and big-game hunting is my game. It was, anyway, until yesterday afternoon at 4:00 (teatime, you know) when my wife, Lady Penelope Dashly (Lady P. for short) was kidnapped from camp. It simply ruined my whole tea service! Seems that a couple of savages saw Lady P. and decided to cook her up for their own tea! Please help rescue her, and you'll be welcome to join us for tea afterwards.

Game Information

• Game Name: Jungle Hunt
  • Released By: Atari, 1982
  • Left Difficulty: B / Novice
  • Right Difficulty: B / Novice
  • Game Mode: Default
  • Chosen By: vdub_bobby

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Thursday, June 15th at 1:30 AM (CST).

If you want to suggest a game for future weeks, please send me a private message and let me know! I will add your game to the list. One one game per person will be kept on the list, so you will not be able to suggest a game until your first game is played!

Anyone can play! Just post a score and I'll add you to the list! Please read the Rules & Information if you haven't already done so!

Current High Scores

1. 57,580 (shawnb) [+11]
  2. 52,400 (Rom Hunter) [+10]
  3. 41,380 (BrianC) [+9]
  4. 36,440 (LarcenTyler) [+8]
  5. 24,770 (Hiryu) [+7]
  6. 24,480 (ResOGlas) [+6]
  7. 22,330 (keilbaca) [+5]
  8. 22,260 (SpiceWare) [+4]
  9. 19,920 (vdub_bobby) [+3]
  10. 19,830 (128bytes) [+2]
  11. 16,420 (scogey) [+1]
  12. 6500 (Goochman) [+1]

Best Tips

• LarcenTyler [+2]

Bounties and Challenges

• Master of the Hunt - Score 75,000 points or higher and get 2 bonus points!
    • No one!

TwinGalaxies Top 3

(Difficulty B)
  1. 851,500 (Todd Rogers)
  2. 73,170 (Stephen R Riesenberger)
  3. 50,340 (Bryan Miller)

Current Standings

1. Rom Hunter [66]
  2. keilbaca [48]
  3. SpiceWare [43]
  4. vdub_bobby [42]
  5. shawnb [39]
  6. Jred [26]
  7. the 5th ghost [24]
  8. BrianC [19]
  9. 128bytes [18]
  10. Random Terrain [15]
  11. Lord Thag [15]
  • LarcenTyler [15]
  • Lord Helmet [14]
  • scogey [13]
  • Cybergoth [7]
  • Malc74 [7]
  • phaxda [7]
  • supercat [5]
  • Christophero Sly [4]
  • Omegamatrix [1]
  • Dan Iacovelli [1]
Scoring Points in Jungle Hunt
  • Jumping to a Vine - 100 points
  • Stabbing a Crocodile (Closed jaws) - 100 points
  • Stabbing a Crocodile (Partially open jaws) - 200 points
  • Stabbing a Rogue crocodile - 300 Points
  • Running under a boulder - 50 points
  • Ducking under a boulder - 100 points
  • Jumping over a boulder - 200 points
  • Jumping over a cannibal - 200 points
  • Each time you exit a section of the jungle - 500 points
  • Rescuing Lady P. awards a bonus of 3xTimer value
  • A bonus life is awarded at 10,000 points

Hints and Tips

As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy and a scanned copy of it available online. The manual doesn't contain any specific hints, but there is a good bit of info in there that might be helpful to you.
-In the Deadly Forest, be patient with the vines, especially on the later levels, where you don't jump as high. Wait for them to be swinging towards you so there's less chance of missing.

-In the Swimming stage, if you want optimal points, wait for the crocodiles to partially open their mouths, and then stab their bellies. You don't have to stab every crocodile, though, so don't risk losing a life just to stab one.

-For the Rocks, you can jump over the big ones if your timing is right, which earns you more points than crouching under rocks. Try to jump just as the rock is coming down, but leave yourself a little room between the rock and yourself before you jump, so you have more time to ascend.

-When you encounter the cannibals, again it's best to give yourself a small distance between them before you jump, and try to do so when they jump towards you.

Tips:

Don't kill crocodiles at all after the first level. There's way too much trial & error going on there.

The timer is already counting down during the starting tune, so don't wait for the tune to end.

When a cannibal is jumping away from you, walk in and immediately jump over him.

Eh...

Jumping your girlfriend saves time.

Mastering the big builder remains a mystery to me.

By looking at the high score of the twin galaxies it can be done, but I really don't know how.

EXTREMELY good timing, I guess...

--Ze_ro

I know I can do a lot better than this, I'm just not wide awake yet.

At any rate, these are my tips:

-In the Deadly Forest, be patient with the vines, especially on the later levels, where you don't jump as high. Wait for them to be swinging towards you so there's less chance of missing.

-In the Swimming stage, if you want optimal points, wait for the crocodiles to partially open their mouths, and then stab their bellies. You don't have to stab every crocodile, though, so don't risk losing a life just to stab one.

-For the Rocks, you can jump over the big ones if your timing is right, which earns you more points than crouching under rocks. Try to jump just as the rock is coming down, but leave yourself a little room between the rock and yourself before you jump, so you have more time to ascend.

-When you encounter the cannibals, again it's best to give yourself a small distance between them before you jump, and try to do so when they jump towards you.

(EDIT: Forgot the stupid picture!)

post-1653-1149868889_thumb.jpg

Edited by LarcenTyler

post-6203-1149954866_thumb.jpg

Tips:

Don't kill crocodiles at all after the first level.

There's way too much trial & error going on there.

The timer is already counting down during the starting tune, so don't wait for the tune to end.

When a cannibal is jumping away from you, walk in and immediately jump over him.

Eh...

Jumping your girlfriend saves time.

Mastering the big builder remains a mystery to me.

By looking at the high score of the twin galaxies it can be done, but I really don't know how.

EXTREMELY good timing, I guess...

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

This game is one of my childhood favorites. I loved playing it in arcades and I love how it was ported to the 2600. It's amazing how many screens from the arcade are intact. Oddly enough, I actually don't mind how the rocks stage is flat in the 2600 version. I was playing the arcade Jungle Hunt in the PS2 Taito Legends earlier. The part with the savages is very cool and almost completely different from the 2600 version of it. I like how monkeys are on the vines starting with the second loop. The music in the arcade one is awesome too.

Edited by BrianC

One funny thing about the arcade version is that the character looks fairly young during the main gameplay, but looks like the stereotypical old man explorer during the ending. Speaking of graphical hilarity, the explorer looks naked in the alligator stage in the Atari 800/5200 versions.

I tried the Colecovision and Atari 800/5200/C64 versions. The Colecovision version is a fine port. The Atari 800/5200/C64 versions have all the pieces, but don't put them all together correctly. In those versions, the hit detection is a bit off in the alligator stages and the stopping position in the rock stages is 3/4 up the screen, instead of 1/2 up the screen like it should be. This makes the rock stages harder than they should be with very little room when going full speed. The 2600, arcade, and CV versions all have plenty of room to manuver when going full speed in the rock stage.

I was pretty good at the C-64version of this, but I cant get past the 2nd vine level on 2600.

You can do it, you just have to be patient and avoid worrying about time left on the clock during the second loop. Don't jump until both vines are curving inward toward each other no matter what.