IGNORED

Ideas for AtariAge Contests?

Albert

I have some interesting things I can give away for contests, and would like to solicit some feedback from the AtariAge community for some contest ideas. We often run label contests, but those have a limited appeal since not all of us are talented artists. We've run a few broader contests in the past, such as:

2004 Holiday Qb Contest

Indy 500 XE Track Design Contest

Combat Redux Playfield Design Contest

2003 Holiday GreetingCart Contest

AtariAge T-Shirt Slogan Contest

The most successful of these were the two Holiday cart contests, since they were the most broadly accessible. I'd love some contest ideas that everyone can participate in. For instance, I drove by a building a few days ago that had its address, 2600, in large, easiliy visible numbers from the street. Might be cool to have a contest where people take pictures of buildings located at 2600, 5200, 7800, etc. and include a description of what's at that address (residences would need to be excluded). Another interesting contest would be for people to take a picture of themselves holding an Atari console in front of a sign featuring the town or city name where they live. Especially given that we have members all over the world.

Contests that require a bit of imagination and/or creativity are more enjoyable for me personally. :)

..Al

I have some interesting things I can give away for contests, and would like to solicit some feedback from the AtariAge community for some contest ideas. We often run label contests, but those have a limited appeal since not all of us are talented artists. We've run a few broader contests in the past, such as:

2004 Holiday Qb Contest

Indy 500 XE Track Design Contest

Combat Redux Playfield Design Contest

2003 Holiday GreetingCart Contest

AtariAge T-Shirt Slogan Contest

The most successful of these were the two Holiday cart contests, since they were the most broadly accessible. I'd love some contest ideas that everyone can participate in. For instance, I drove by a building a few days ago that had its address, 2600, in large, easiliy visible numbers from the street. Might be cool to have a contest where people take pictures of buildings located at 2600, 5200, 7800, etc. and include a description of what's at that address (residences would need to be excluded). Another interesting contest would be for people to take a picture of themselves holding an Atari console in front of a sign featuring the town or city name where they live. Especially given that we have members all over the world.

Contests that require a bit of imagination and/or creativity are more enjoyable for me personally. :)

..Al

In the same vein as Indy 500, how about another track design contest, except this time for a new WIP game (Superbug)?

If there's interest, I could whip up a utility to import tracks into the game, and, the 5 best tracks would be put into the game when it's released. It would give everyone a chance to contribute to a new Atari 2600 game.

Some weak ideas:

- building the highest cart tower (without any additonal material allowed)

- finding the numbers 2600, 5200, 7800 somewhere (since we don't have those high number on houses in Germany) and take a picture. Some polls will decide which one is the most original picture.

- taking pictures of non-Atari related celebrities holding an Atari cart

- a new game mockup contest, must fit to the specs of the target system, conversion or original gameplay (prefered), with a complete description of as many details as possible

(Many of these ideas are based from threads I've read here at Atariage)

Alternate/funny labels for pre-existing games.

Labels and/or gameplay descriptions for Atari games you would like to have seen made or are glad don't exist.

Creative alternative ways to play games (not by the manual)

Story submissions with fiction & nonfiction categories (game related)

Atari related music and/or poetry contest.

It might be cool to have a contest for the best pictures/videos of peoples' pets (staged or unstaged) with anything Atari related. (A while back, I viewed a video PDF posted of his cat chasing the Galaga flies on the computer monitor :) )

T-shirt designs and slogans for homebrew games (with homebrew authors' permission of course) to be sold in the Atariage store.

Arcade Game Mock-ups contest. The best looking submission that stays within the limitations of the VCS wins. The homebrew guys could help judge this one. (Looks like Thomas beat me to this one)

I think there was a thread, a while back, that showed different photos of various non-Atari products or places where you could see an Atari Fuji. Maybe this could be incorporated into some sort of contest for the best photo? An alternative contest might be to design a new non-Atari product that incorporates the Fuji in one way or another?

A contest for the best photos taken of the Atari in its hayday (ie Christmas photos of when someone first got their VCS, etc)

Hmm, I suck at ideas.

Edited by mojofltr

Thomas, mojofltr, lots of great ideas there. I like contests that involve people sending in pictures as they are relatively easy to mange and post, and easy for people to look through. I like the idea of capturing the Atari Fuji in everyday life, or perhaps by arranging/posing ordinary objects into fuji symbols, although that would probably be too easy to come by. I know that every now and again I'll spot something that resembles a fuji symbol.

The pets one would be good, too, although not everyone has a pet. Reminds of the Stuff On My Cat page, which is pretty amusing. Building the highest cart tower would beinteresting, although you'd have to take everyone's word for how many carts they stacked up. I could see some people going a bit overboard on this one, using hundreds (if not thousands) of carts to build rather impressive structures. Would be fun to see what people come up with.

I like the various game mockups, labels, slogans ideas, and will queue those away for the future.

Thanks for the ideas so far!! :)

..Al

1. Have people pose nude while strategically placing their favorite carts over their explicit parts.

2. Design the best Pancake Boy game concept.

3. Place the Atariage logo in the weirdest place.

4. Make something creative out of used Atari carts.

5. Can't say publically, but it involves oil, a rubber body suit and a lot of bologna.

EDIT: 6. Take a large container like a foot locker or a chest and fill it with commons. Have people guess how many are in the container. Closest earliest guess wins.

1. Have people pose nude while strategically placing their favorite carts over their explicit parts.

2. Design the best Pancake Boy game concept.

3. Place the Atariage logo in the weirdest place.

4. Make something creative out of used Atari carts.

5. Can't say publically, but it involves oil, a rubber body suit and a lot of bologna.

EDIT: 6. Take a large container like a foot locker or a chest and fill it with commons. Have people guess how many are in the container. Closest earliest guess wins.

Well, three out of five isn't bad.

Whoa! As I was typing this, a trans-dimensional conduit open opened up and number SIX appeared!

Scary stuff!

..Al

Caption contests can be fun...maybe with some of the webcam shots from the Midwest Classic, or possibly with user-submitted images.

Hmmm I still have to sort through over 30,000 webcam images and save the more interesting ones and put them up in a photo gallery. :)

..Al

I don't know how many people remember it, but a few years ago someone had a joke auction on eBay of a Combat-Man they had made out of a Combat cartridge, some googly eyes, and pipe cleaner. I wish I had a picture, but the one photo of Combat-Man with his head inside an Atari 2600 is one of a few things that has really made me laugh out loud to the point of hurting my side! :lol:

Maybe there could be a contest for the funniest, most clever, interesting, or creative way to sell a Combat cartridge on eBay. The cartridge has to remain functional and sell on eBay to qualify for the contest. After submission time is over, a poll could be set to vote on the cartridges that actually sold.

Edited by mojofltr

Caption contests can be fun...maybe with some of the webcam shots from the Midwest Classic, or possibly with user-submitted images.

Hmmm I still have to sort through over 30,000 webcam images and save the more interesting ones and put them up in a photo gallery. :)

..Al

Put 'em all up and let us sort 'em =)

I think high score contests - using homebrews sold at the AA store as the games -- would be a great way to drum up some interest in those homebrews and increase sales of them! The rules devised by ze_ro for the 2600 HSC would work nicely.

Use the interesting things you were thinking of as the prizes.

To prove my point - I enjoyed watching the progress of the Star Fire patch contest in the past, and I bet it helped stimulate sales of that most excellent title.

Edited by 128bytes

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

- A contest to see who can get (or already has) the best Atari-related tattoo inked on their body.

- Find a game that is kind of hard, so people won't be playing it all day. Have a high score contest, but the catch is you must play with the joystick upside down. Since I'd want to pick a harder game you might not be able to play all day people could video tape and send in their entries of them playing.

- I liked Thomas's idea about finding the numbers.

- Best use of a broken Atari 2600. Maybe someone had a 2600 beyond repair and didn't want to throw out the thing so they gutted it, filled it with dirt, and have flowers growing out the cartridge slots or where the select switches were, etc.

- Games and mockup pictures of games Mystique/Playaround should have made

• 4 weeks later...

- A contest to see who can get (or already has) the best Atari-related tattoo inked on their body.

- Best use of a broken Atari 2600. Maybe someone had a 2600 beyond repair and didn't want to throw out the thing so they gutted it, filled it with dirt, and have flowers growing out the cartridge slots or where the select switches were, etc.

I just need to get mine fixed up, but I got a pretty large atari fuji on my arm, and soon hopefully, the blue bomber on my left arm.

Best use of a broken 2600... Hmm, I do need a new computer project.

How about, best mod of an atari 2600?

• 3 weeks later...

A best collection photo contest but here's the catch. It must be 25 items or less that way it's fair for everybody to enter (some collections here are WAY to large to compete with). Judging could be based on variety, rarity, creativity, apearance, how they were aquirred, original ownership, condition, etc...

BTW - I love the idea of taking pictures of yourself in front of the sign with your town or city name holding an Atari. Someone should start a thread up for this. :)