IGNORED

Can you ship game carts by media mail?

Here is the media mail description from the postal web site. Seems like to me that game carts would qualify.

Used for books, film, manuscripts, printed music, printed test materials, sound recordings, play scripts, printed educational charts, loose-leaf pages and binders consisting of medical information, videotapes, and computer-recorded media such as CD-ROMs and diskettes. Media Mail cannot contain advertising.

Yes, absolutely. I alwawys make sure to list them as "Atari Tapes". Heh Heh.

Here is the media mail description from the postal web site. Seems like to me that game carts would qualify.

Used for books, film, manuscripts, printed music, printed test materials, sound recordings, play scripts, printed educational charts, loose-leaf pages and binders consisting of medical information, videotapes, and computer-recorded media such as CD-ROMs and diskettes. Media Mail cannot contain advertising.

The answer is no.

I know that a lot of people think that cartridges can be sent media mail but they can't. Here is a link from the post office that specifically states that cartridges cannot be sent media mail.

http://www.usps.com/cpim/ftp/bulletin/2003/pb22115.pdf

On page 107 under where it says "What is Media Mail Services" it says the following

"video game cartridges, for example, cannot be mailed at Media Mail rates."

Wow, from 2003 even... that's some good research. I've always shipped by Media Mail and never had any trouble with it--it seems odd that they would single out this one form of media. Because say what you will, a cart is a form of media, the dame as a diskette, tape, or CD.

So I just call them tapes.

The answer is no.

I know that a lot of people think that cartridges can be sent media mail but they can't. Here is a link from the post office that specifically states that cartridges cannot be sent media mail.

http://www.usps.com/cpim/ftp/bulletin/2003/pb22115.pdf

On page 107 under where it says "What is Media Mail Services" it says the following

"video game cartridges, for example, cannot be mailed at Media Mail rates."

Wow, from 2003 even... that's some good research. I've always shipped by Media Mail and never had any trouble with it--it seems odd that they would single out this one form of media. Because say what you will, a cart is a form of media, the dame as a diskette, tape, or CD.

I know. I sent a DVD and they wanted a higher rate, but CDs could be sent media mail. I dont know why they need the distinction here.

People send me boxes of cartridges all the time via Media Mail. It really depends on the individual post office, some seem to enforce this rule better than others. I do think it's pretty ridiculous that the post office has singled out video game cartridges as not falling within the "computer media" umbrella. It certainly is computer media, just in a different physical form than floppy disks or CD-ROMs. Either the person who excluded cartridges from Media Mail doesn't understand "computer media" or it's an attempt by the post office to try and force more people to use Priority Mail / Parcel Post, which are both considerably more expensive. My guess would be the latter.

..Al

I do think it's pretty ridiculous that the post office has singled out video game cartridges as not falling within the "computer media" umbrella. It certainly is computer media, just in a different physical form than floppy disks or CD-ROMs. Either the person who excluded cartridges from Media Mail doesn't understand "computer media" or it's an attempt by the post office to try and force more people to use Priority Mail / Parcel Post, which are both considerably more expensive. My guess would be the latter.

Here's my take on it. Some packages are not as fragile as others, and can therefore be handled less carefully (read "more quickly") than other packages. The post office, in an effort to encourage people to let them know which packages can be processed more efficiently, offers a lower rate for these packages. However, if everyone decided their packages didn't need any extra care, then everything would be shipped at the lower rate, and the post office wouldn't make as much money. Therefore, there has to be a line, where the post office can find the best balance between fast processing and decent money making.

Thinking about it that way, it makes sense to draw the line at "media." Generally speaking, tapes, papers, discs, etc., are a lot less fragile than, say, electronics, foodstuffs, housewares, and so forth, and they conceivably make up just the right percentage of all packages shipped in order for that balance to be achieved. At the same time, it's easy to argue that video game cartridges are just as much computer hardware as they are media, and are potentially more fragile than other types of media; so, they get left off the list.

(Yes, I know cartridges tend to be more durable than CDs and DVDs, but that's during every day use. This is talking about shipping, where a cartridge's hard plastic case is more likely to be cracked than a DVD's soft plastic case, not to mention the DVD's case is more expendable than a cartridge's case.)

Edited by skunkworx

I'm throwing my 2 cents here, despite this has been covered in the past and I've already said this. I ship games media mail all the time. The post office I go to likes me, and I specifically go there because I know they won't give me a hassle.

Personally, it's computer data. Just because it's in a plastic cartridge instead of a plastic floppy doesn't make any difference to me. Fargin' post office is greedy. The people who run it should be fired. They are total idiots.

Since I've passed the postal exam and have gotten a job offer, I can say this. I wanted to be a clerk, the man you meet behind the counter. The post office I go to is stupid. They give a 12 hour shift to the clerks, but force them to take a 1 1/2 hour lunch. So the poor guy behind the counter is there from 6 to 6. The rate of pay these guys get for overtime is really high, especially if they've been with the usps for a long time. So instead of hiring someone at the starting pay, the managers bitch they're paying the veteran's too much overtime. It all boils down to the health insurance. They don't want to pay the newbie benefits. Also, there is no longer a pension, they'll match some money for a 401k.

Phil

Personally, it's computer data. Just because it's in a plastic cartridge instead of a plastic floppy doesn't make any difference to me.

This is nitpicking, but I'll throw it out anyway. Is a 2600 Pitfall II cartridge just computer data? What about Ballblazer or Commando for the 7800?

Edited by skunkworx

Personally, it's computer data. Just because it's in a plastic cartridge instead of a plastic floppy doesn't make any difference to me.

An EPROM does not just contain data storage transistors; it also contains some active circuitry to interface with them. On the other hand, it would be interesting to know how they would view something like a multimedia card full of digital photos. An MMC card has a lot more active circuitry in it (even not counting the storage transistors) than a 2600 cartridge.

I don't do alot of Media Shipping for carts. I would if I had a large load. I usually just don't bother with the hassle and eat the Parcel Post charge.

If you have alot of carts to mail, I think it's marginal, and you shouldn't factor in Media, but it would be a nice bonus to use media for a large shipment if you can get away with it. Still, don't plan on it, as it could come back in your face.

First class is great for 2-3 carts in a bubble mailer under 10 oz. When you hit 10-16 oz, it's just priority mail. You can ship most single carts for $1-$1.50. I do free shipping for single cart sales on eBay, as I can get bubble mailers (#0) that fit Atari-NES for a quarter each.

Media I reserve for books and larger loads of CDs, since I have had some boxes opened and delayed by weeks. I sent 3 or 4 packages by media, which all got returned VERY SLOWLY to me. when I went to pick them up, the clerk looked at the opened boxes with me. He then proclaimed that he didn't understand why they had been returned- that he thought the packages met Media criteria, and we resealed them and sent them off without more postage. The folks who open the packages are LOOKING for a reason not to send them.

I don't mess with Media that much. I think that it would be too much trouble to abuse anyway. I mail alot, I do postage at home, and aside from the monthly or less big trade, it would be more trouble than it's worth.

An EPROM does not just contain data storage transistors; it also contains some active circuitry to interface with them. On the other hand, it would be interesting to know how they would view something like a multimedia card full of digital photos. An MMC card has a lot more active circuitry in it (even not counting the storage transistors) than a 2600 cartridge.

Well, with the glacial pace that the postal service seems to operate it, I doubt they'd recognize memory cards as "media mail" any more than cartridges. But you'd really have no reason to send tiny memory cards as media mail anyway, unless maybe you were shipping a thousand of them. :) You can fit several in a small bubble envelope and mail them via First Class for less than a dollar.

..Al

I do think it's pretty ridiculous that the post office has singled out video game cartridges as not falling within the "computer media" umbrella. It certainly is computer media, just in a different physical form than floppy disks or CD-ROMs. Either the person who excluded cartridges from Media Mail doesn't understand "computer media" or it's an attempt by the post office to try and force more people to use Priority Mail / Parcel Post, which are both considerably more expensive. My guess would be the latter.

Here's my take on it. Some packages are not as fragile as others, and can therefore be handled less carefully (read "more quickly") than other packages. The post office, in an effort to encourage people to let them know which packages can be processed more efficiently, offers a lower rate for these packages. However, if everyone decided their packages didn't need any extra care, then everything would be shipped at the lower rate, and the post office wouldn't make as much money. Therefore, there has to be a line, where the post office can find the best balance between fast processing and decent money making.

Thinking about it that way, it makes sense to draw the line at "media." Generally speaking, tapes, papers, discs, etc., are a lot less fragile than, say, electronics, foodstuffs, housewares, and so forth, and they conceivably make up just the right percentage of all packages shipped in order for that balance to be achieved. At the same time, it's easy to argue that video game cartridges are just as much computer hardware as they are media, and are potentially more fragile than other types of media; so, they get left off the list.

(Yes, I know cartridges tend to be more durable than CDs and DVDs, but that's during every day use. This is talking about shipping, where a cartridge's hard plastic case is more likely to be cracked than a DVD's soft plastic case, not to mention the DVD's case is more expendable than a cartridge's case.)

I always ask for media mail for game carts when someone ships to me and I'VE NEVER HAD A GAME ARRIVE BROKEN. This idea that they may be more fragile is ridiculous. It depends if the guy packaging it correctly does so. even then, when the idiot doesnt seem to know what cushioning a package is for, ive had the games still work fine even though that is just blatant stupidity not to package something without some newpaper at the very least. They still worked anyhow. They arent as fragile as you may think and these are media in my mind and i will take it to the supreme court if USPS ever tried to call me on the issue. I also had 2 different idiots ship me consoles in the past(when id buy a whole lot for 1 game) with NOthing else in the box! Electronics bouncing all the way here with no padding! Can you imagine the brain on these people? They must put dinosaurs to shame. Anyhow 1 worked and 1 didnt and i did get a refund for the 1. People always find new ways to amaze me. I just figured Id share that. Carts are media mail, I dont care what anyone says. Ciao

Edited by Phantom

I always ask for media mail for game carts when someone ships to me and I'VE NEVER HAD A GAME ARRIVE BROKEN.

I was speaking from the point of view of whomever has to make the decisions for the post office. Of course just about anything can survive the UPS treatment if it's packed properly.

Personally I don't think most video game cartridges are fragile at all, however, I can see how someone might think they are, compared to discs and papers, and I can also see how such a person would use that for justification when declaring cartridges are not "media."

Personally I don't think most video game cartridges are fragile at all, however, I can see how someone might think they are, compared to discs and papers, and I can also see how such a person would use that for justification when declaring cartridges are not "media."

I worked at the UPS on Mykawa and even the best packaging could get destroyed there. It occurs when the managers are trying to speed the workers up by overriding the sensors that sense overload on a particular equipment.

Edited by Almost Rice

Don't confuse "and computer-recorded media such as CD-ROMs and diskettes" as a separate sentence describing the contents of the package. The description of the package is "Used for books, film, manuscripts, printed music, printed test materials, sound recordings, play scripts, printed educational charts, loose-leaf pages and binders".

The second part that people get hung up on is just describing some of the contents that can be used in the first part. If you digest the sentence in whole, you'll clearly see video games don't qualify.

As much as we want them to say yes, our video game habbits are not included.

With that said, I too have played the chance game and in over 10 years of collecting, I have only had one package inspected, and all I had to do was pay around $3 more for the postage.

Don't confuse "and computer-recorded media such as CD-ROMs and diskettes" as a separate sentence describing the contents of the package. The description of the package is "Used for books, film, manuscripts, printed music, printed test materials, sound recordings, play scripts, printed educational charts, loose-leaf pages and binders".

It is interesting--looks like an old description put into place before video games were commonplace. Books, film, sound recordings, scripts? These all sound like entertainment to me, and it seems odd to leave video games out of this list. I doubt it was intentional omission as much as the description simply hasn't been updated to reflect the times. And updating it probably IS intentional, as the USPS knows that would open the floodgates for media mail.

..Al

It is interesting--looks like an old description put into place before video games were commonplace. Books, film, sound recordings, scripts? These all sound like entertainment to me, and it seems odd to leave video games out of this list. I doubt it was intentional omission as much as the description simply hasn't been updated to reflect the times. And updating it probably IS intentional, as the USPS knows that would open the floodgates for media mail.

..Al

They used to just call it "book rate", so it must have been updated within the last 20 years or so(since carts existed, I would think).

They have the exclusion of advertising, so they pretty much closes the floodgates for commercial use of game sales, etc.

Also, it takes forever to send media mail to any US state or territory not in the lower 48. HI is 6 weeks for example. I don't know how long for VI and PR or AK.

They used to just call it "book rate", so it must have been updated within the last 20 years or so(since carts existed, I would think).

There is still a "Bound Printed Matter" rate, and the prices are different than for Media Mail.

Here's what the USPS website says about what can be sent as Bound Printed Matter:

Content Standards for Bound Printed Matter

BPM is a subclass of Package Services and must:

a. Meet the basic standards for BPM in 101.8.1 and 2.0 and 3.0.

b. Weigh no more than 15 pounds. Pieces might be subject to other minimum weights or dimensions based on the standards for specific rates.

c. Consist of advertising, promotional, directory, or editorial material (or any combination of such material).

d. Be securely bound by permanent fastenings such as staples, spiral binding, glue, or stitching. Loose-leaf binders and similar fastenings are not considered permanent.

e. Consist of sheets of which at least 90% are imprinted by any process other than handwriting or typewriting with words, letters, characters, figures, or images (or any combination of them).

f. Not have the nature of personal correspondence.

g. Not be stationery, such as pads of blank printed forms.

h. Consist of mailable matter that is neither mailed or required to be mailed as First-Class Mail nor entered as Periodicals (except as permitted under 3.2 or permitted or required under 707.7.9).

..Al

Hey lets make this totally a Grey area. the atari 2600 isnt a video game system. like atari stated in 1977 on the box iteself. ATARI VIDEO COMPUTER SYSTEM. hell it says computer system in it. wouldnt u think the programs ( that happen to be on cart instead of disk and CD ) would qualify as media mail. if you word it that way it would stand to reason that it should be allowed