IGNORED

Best 2600 two-player games?

Dave Farquhar

M.A.D. is a unique experience. I think that few people know about their player-vs-player oprion wherin one of the players controls the attacking space fleet.

Demons to Diamonds is almost tolerable as a two-player game.

M Network had saome goodies: Armor Attack is a lot more interesting than combat.

For those who want to name-drop Party Mix: few people own a freaking supercharger.

For those who want to name-drop Party Mix: few people own a freaking supercharger.

[namedropping]

I play Party Mix and I don't own a freaking supercharger....

...But I do own a Cuttle Cart 2, which plays all supercharger games. :cool:

Party Mix rocks. But it belongs in the "Best 2600 FOUR player games" category.

[/namedropping]

My favorite 2600 two-player games, if I limit myself to the top 2, are Mario Bros. and Joust.

Not mentioned yet: A personal favorite of mine was M-Network's Super Challenge Baseball. Activision's Tennis and Hockey are also good head-to-head games. I also got a kick out of playing Air-Sea Battle with my sister, since it was one of the first games I owned.

The worst? Star Wars: Jedi Arena.

[namedropping]

I play Party Mix and I don't own a freaking supercharger....

...But I do own a Cuttle Cart 2, which plays all supercharger games. :cool:

Party Mix rocks. But it belongs in the "Best 2600 FOUR player games" category.

[/namedropping]

Aside from having to own a Supercharger, Party Mix is scarce among the Starpath games. I have the game on my Stella Gets A New Brain CD. Party Mix has always been the unknown 2600 multiplayer game.

I had not given Party Mix a try until I had Stan Jr and pitfallaimee over to my place last summer. We always play Warlords when we get together. It plays fine with three, once the green computer controlled player dies in the first ten seconds. So we really looked forward to trying out Party Mix. (I had forgot to bring my CD when I was last visiting them in Louisville.)

Here is what we learned in our research. Heavy stress on the FOUR player aspect of Party Mix. All of the games divide the players up into teams of two. The third player has nothing to do, we tried alter the rules to make it somewhat fun with three and coudn't come up with anything. So if you have three players or fewer, you can pass on playing Party Mix. You can play the games with only two players, but there are a lot better two player 2600 games mentioned in this thread.

Pong, Mario Bros, Centepede co-op.

There's a co-op version in Centipede? I thought there were just two game versions: easy and standard. Just checked my manual and that's what it says.

He's probably thinking of the 7800 Centipede, which does have co-op. The 2600 version doesn't have co-op.

As for two player games, I like Air Sea Battle, Canyon Bomber, Combat, Space War, Joust, Mario Bros, Warlords (I love the doubles mode), and Slot Racers.

Edited by BrianC

Well, Maze Craze is outsanding two player fun. I also like Armor Ambush, Surround (stupid but fun), Fall Down, Combat, and Indy 500. My personal favorite two player game is Warlords. With four people, I can still play that game for hours.

• Like 1

Pong, Mario Bros, Centepede co-op.

There's a co-op version in Centipede? I thought there were just two game versions: easy and standard. Just checked my manual and that's what it says.

He's probably thinking of the 7800 Centipede, which does have co-op. The 2600 version doesn't have co-op.

As for two player games, I like Air Sea Battle, Canyon Bomber, Combat, Space War, Joust, Mario Bros, Warlords (I love the doubles mode), and Slot Racers.

Yep, stupid me :dunce:l Mario & Pong are still cool for the 2600 in 2 player mode anyhow :) Also HTF did I forget Gunfight!! Gunfight is wicked!!