IGNORED

Which is the Big Boy!!!!!!!!

My collection of Atari items just keeps growing and I was thinking about the old Atari computers and was wondering if you guys can tell me which of the Atari computers is the best with the most power and options? I think I read that the Falcon was the king, is this right and why?

The Falcon030 was Atari's last and greatest machine. Numerous clones have even been made with more powerful internals. Personally I loved the Falcon... it was a hell of a machine, even if its '030 processor could have been ramped up a bit. (It came with a 16MHz 68030; in that regard, the Falcon's predecessor, the TT030, was more powerful as it came with a 32MHz 68030 as standard)

Anyway, the Falcon is basically like an STe with tons more toys: 16MHz 68030 processor, Motorola 56001 digital signal processor, internal IDE hard disk, incredible graphics capabilities (build any graphics mode you want, limited only by RAM), 16 megs RAM total (2 megs reserved for video, so you really only got 14 megs), 16.7 million colour palette, stereo 44.1KHz unlimited channel sound, and all kinds of other cool stuff.

quote:

Originally posted by Mindfield:

Anyway, the Falcon is basically like an STe with tons more toys: 16MHz 68030 processor, Motorola 56001 digital signal processor, internal IDE hard disk, incredible graphics capabilities (build any graphics mode you want, limited only by RAM), 16 megs RAM total (2 megs reserved for video, so you really only got 14 megs), 16.7 million colour palette, stereo 44.1KHz unlimited channel sound, and all kinds of other cool stuff.

That only 14 out of 16 meg could be used is of historical/compatibility reasons and is NOT video RAM. In the upper 2 megs there is the OS ROM and hardware chip registers. The video ram can be anywhere in the lower 14 meg. You can add more ram above the 16 meg memory area (with hardware modification like afterburner) but that becomes fast ram and is not accessible by the video chip (thats why it is faster).

Robert