IGNORED

HSC Season 4 Week 15: Dragonfire

Ze_ro

Important Note: This weeks competition is over, and no further scores will be accepted. If you still wish to discuss Dragonfire and compare scores, feel free to do so in this thread, but they will not be added to the list.

Dragons have driven the Royal Court from the Castle.

"O we are lost, lost" laments the King. "Without our vast treasures we cannot raise an army 'gainst these accursed dragons. Our Kingdom must now languish under lizards!"

"Nay, not so, my liege!" replied the young Prince. "None knows that Castle, those many bridges and storerooms, better than I. Give me leave and I shall loot those lizards of their plunder and restore my lord to his birthright."

"Brave boy," said the King, fully pleased. "But," he added darkly, "beware dread dragonfire!"

Game Information

• Game Name: Dragonfire
  • Released By: Imagic, 1982
  • Left Difficulty: B / Novice
  • Right Difficulty: B / Novice
  • Game Mode: Game 1
  • Chosen By: seventhsage, theKLT

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Thursday, August 10th at 1:30 AM (CST).

If you want to suggest a game for future weeks, please send me a private message and let me know! I will add your game to the list. One one game per person will be kept on the list, so you will not be able to suggest a game until your first game is played!

Anyone can play! Just post a score and I'll add you to the list! Please read the Rules & Information if you haven't already done so!

Current High Scores

1. 125,380 (Rom Hunter) [+11]
  2. 64,290 (Malc74) [+10]
  3. 20,000 (keilbaca) [+9]
  4. 14,470 (theKLT) [+8]
  5. 14,230 (SpiceWare) [+7]
  6. 12,730 (shadow460) [+6]
  7. 8200 (LarcenTyler) [+5]
  8. 4850 (Deteacher) [+4]
  9. 4550 (scogey) [+3]
  10. 4410 (Goochman) [+2]

Best Tips

• shadow460 [+2]

Bounties and Challenges

• None yet posted

TwinGalaxies Top 3

(Difficulty B)
  1. 1,265,310 (Todd Rogers)
  2. 106,300 (Stephen R Riesenberger)
  3. 102,350 (Christian L Keilback)

Current Standings

1. Rom Hunter [151]
  2. keilbaca [120]
  3. SpiceWare [107]
  4. shawnb [71]
  5. vdub_bobby [68]
  6. LarcenTyler [59]
  7. BrianC [56]
  8. the 5th ghost [46]
  9. scogey [43]
  10. 128bytes [34]
  11. Deteacher [30]
  12. Jred [26]
  13. Goochman [21]
  14. Lord Helmet [19]
  • Cybergoth [18]
  • Christophero Sly [17]
  • phaxda [17]
  • Random Terrain [15]
  • Lord Thag [15]
  • Malc74 [15]
  • doctorclu [14]
  • ResOGlas [11]
  • theKLT [11]
  • Gabriel [8]
  • Hiryu [7]
  • supercat [5]
  • Omegamatrix [1]
  • Dan Iacovelli [1]
Scoring Points in Dragonfire
  • Jug - 10 pts
  • Lamp - 10 pts
  • Goblet - 10 pts
  • Helmet - 60 pts
  • Candelabra - 60 pts
  • Chest - 200 pts
  • Harp - 200 pts
  • Diamond - 400 pts
  • Crown - 400 pts

Hints and Tips

As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy of it available online. Here are the hints the manual provides:

- Don't spend any more time on the bridge than you have to. Cross it as fast as you can and you'll encounter fewer fireballs.

- If you face an impossible combination of fireballs on the bridge, run back to the right tower if you can make it in time...you're safe there. Or make the Prince squeeze through close-trailing fireballs by jumping from a crouch (pull joystick and press button at the same time).

- In the treasure room, run fast to the objects. KEEP MOVING! Return to the hiding place if you need a rest, because the Dragon never stops hunting.

A couple of pointers in the treasure room:

When you go for treasures in the lower right, don't worry about the dragon trapping you there. you can run into the door for safety and wait for an opening to re enter the treasure room.

The same holds true in the upper left if that's where the last treasure is.

Lure the dragon away from treasures that are lower on the screen. You are faster than the dragon and you can get back to those treasures before it does.

--Ze_ro

post-6203-1154871564_thumb.jpg

Done.

8)

Nice! That'll give Keilbaca something to aim at! :lol:

As for me, I'm stuck around the mid twenty thousands at the moment. I know I can do better, as my all-time best is around forty thousand, but I just seem to be hitting a plateau right now. Not to mention the fact that I'm scaring my wife, the cat and the dog with all the swearing and controller throwing I'm doing. :grin:

It'll all come back to you. :)

Meanwhile, I just blew away my best ever score - 41740.

I love this game, but I'm taking a rest for now - I have major 'Proline Hand-ache Syndrome' at the moment.

Hopefully but I haven't been playing it nearly as much as I want to be. I got another project in the works, I'm modifying my Guitar Hero controller.

0:35.09

It does say Barnstorming in the first post. :P

12,730 for Dragonfire

I should have used a Pro Line--my CX-40 was feeling a bit spongy.

A couple of pointers in the treasure room:

When you go for treasures in the lower right, don't worry about the dragon trapping you there. you can run into the door for safety and wait for an opening to re enter the treasure room.

The same holds true in the upper left if that's where the last treasure is.

Lure the dragon away from treasures that are lower on the screen. You are faster than the dragon and you can get back to those treasures before it does.

Edited by shadow460

Not directly related to this week's competition or anything, but I was looking through some of the old HSC threads and noticed that one must've been missed during the forum move. The original Tapper competition from season 1 is languising in the Atari 2600 directory instead of in the HSC section.

Just thought I'd mention it so maybe a mod can shuffle it to where it rightly belongs...