IGNORED

HSC Season 4 Week 16: Millipede

Ze_ro

I feel that the leap between Centipede and Millipede is much smaller.

I like Millipede a lot more than Centipede. It's one of my favorite 2600 games. I was never much of an arcade player. I once played Centipede on an arcade machine at a bar-- after having played it many times at home on the 2600-- but I sucked at it. For one thing, I couldn't get the hang of the track ball. I've never played Millipede on an arcade machine, or on anything else besides a 2600. I did play the NES version of Centipede, I think, but it felt all wrong, too slow and sluggish.

Michael Rideout

I feel that the leap between Centipede and Millipede is much smaller.

I like Millipede a lot more than Centipede. It's one of my favorite 2600 games. I was never much of an arcade player. I once played Centipede on an arcade machine at a bar-- after having played it many times at home on the 2600-- but I sucked at it. For one thing, I couldn't get the hang of the track ball. I've never played Millipede on an arcade machine, or on anything else besides a 2600. I did play the NES version of Centipede, I think, but it felt all wrong, too slow and sluggish.

Michael Rideout

I like Millipede more than Centipede too (and Millipede is also one of my favorites), but the point I was trying to make is that I feel that the leap between Defender and Stargate is farther. I like Defender, but it's not even close to the arcade. Stargate is vastly improved over the 2600 Defender and much closer to the arcade. On the other hand, Centipede is a very good port of the arcade Centipede, despite not being as good as the Millipede port. BTW, Centipede isn't on NES, but Millipede is. Millipede NES felt a bit off to me too. I prefer the 2600 Millipede over it.

Also, while I actually like the Atari 800 Centipede, I prefer the 2600 version over it becuase the 800 version starts out slower than the arcade and takes a long time to get faster, unlike the 2600 one, which captures the speed of the arcade much better. Also, some versions like the C64 and Intellivision versions of Centipede seem to be ports of the Atari 800 version (though I prefer the Inty version over the A800 for some odd reason and the C64 version seems to be a bit better too).

Edited by BrianC

I did play the NES version of Centipede, I think, but it felt all wrong, too slow and sluggish.

BTW, Centipede isn't on NES, but Millipede is. Millipede NES felt a bit off to me too. I prefer the 2600 Millipede over it.

Okay, then it must have been Millipede! :) I knew it was one of the two, but it's been a little while, and I couldn't remember which. I just remember that my reaction was "Yuck!" :) The game looked good enough-- probably a lot better than 2600 Millipede-- but the speed of the game play just didn't

feel right. As I said, I've never played arcade Millipede, so I'm not sure how fast it is compared to the various conversions of it, but 2600 Millipede has a more "frantic" feel than NES Millipede does.

Michael Rideout

I think the lack of a track ball is why I don't like this port. I got used to using a track ball on the arcade version.

But doesn't it work with a track ball if you have one? I know I bought a track ball, and I tried playing Centipede with it, but I sucked too bad at it compared to using a joystick. I don't remember if I ever tried playing Millipede with a track ball, but wouldn't that work, too?

Michael Rideout

Speaking of Millipede...

I was out a month ago with my wife, and we met some friends at a bar/gameroom at this fitness club. On the way to the bathroom, I passed through a "game" area which had the usual air hockey, and claw machines. But guess what caused me to do a double take!

Millipede, and in mint condition! I couldn't believe my eyes :lust:

I would think that it is a rarish machine, it was the first time I ever saw one in fact.

Strange place to find one, that's for sure!

(I didn't have any quarters :x )

50,130! Not bad for a first score posting, but it looks like I've got some work to do. Great scores everyone!

As for helpful hints, I try to save a few DDTs for the flying bug waves (especially the dragonfly waves.) Shoot a couple of those at the beginning of the wave. You can usually nab several of the flying buggers for lots of points! On the Dragonfly stage, if you have a couple DDTs going, you can push a lot of the mushrooms off the top of the screen.

post-9712-1155484119_thumb.jpg

Edited by Deteacher

I don't think screenshots are required, but they make for good proof of your score. :) I don't know why anyone would cheat by saying they have a high score that they didn't really achieve. There aren't any prizes at stake. Me personally, I like to post a screenie of my accomplishment. :)

I don't think screenshots are required, but they make for good proof of your score. :) I don't know why anyone would cheat by saying they have a high score that they didn't really achieve. There aren't any prizes at stake. Me personally, I like to post a screenie of my accomplishment. :)

I post screenshots when I can play in emulation only. For TV shots I have no camera. Just post your FB2 scores Michael, we trust you :)

It's nice to know y'all trust me. (Mwahaha! Now to unload that ocean front property in Arizona on the fools! :twisted:)

Okay, tomorrow I'll switch to FB2.

And of course, it's not like screenshots can't be faked...

post-7456-1155528277_thumb.jpg

Michael Rideout

50,130! Not bad for a first score posting, but it looks like I've got some work to do. Great scores everyone!

As for helpful hints, I try to save a few DDTs for the flying bug waves (especially the dragonfly waves.) Shoot a couple of those at the beginning of the wave. You can usually nab several of the flying buggers for lots of points! On the Dragonfly stage, if you have a couple DDTs going, you can push a lot of the mushrooms off the top of the screen.

BTW: How can you post a tip for a situation that'll only come with a score higher than the one you posted? :twisted:

I finally made it: 104.115 for a new personal best! :)

Closing in on the 3K barrier:

Sorry, no screenshot. :(

BTW: How can you post a tip for a situation that'll only come with a score higher than the one you posted? :twisted:

I finally made it: 104.115 for a new personal best! :)

Congratulations on your new personal best!

Regarding Deteacher's tip, your score when the dragonfly wave first appears is going to depend on your style of game play. What I mean is, if you tend to leave the millipede alone and focus more on getting the spiders, beetles, etc., then you're probably going to rack up more points in each round, in which case the dragonfly wave probably won't appear until after you've exceeded 50,000. But if you tend to wipe out the millipede as quickly as possible-- whether or not you go after the other bugs, or try to avoid them-- then you could definitely hit the dragonfly wave before reaching 50,000. I usually hit the dragonfly wave somewhere between 40,000 and 45,000.

Michael Rideout

if you tend to leave the millipede alone and focus more on getting the spiders

That's what I do. I ignore any other stuff as long as there's a spider on the screen. They often score 900 for a single kill :)

I usually hit the dragonfly wave somewhere between 40,000 and 45,000.

Even then would your endscore be above 50.000, no? I usually score some 15.000-25.000 in that wave.