IGNORED

HSC Season 4 Week 16: Millipede

Ze_ro

if you tend to leave the millipede alone and focus more on getting the spiders

That's what I do. I ignore any other stuff as long as there's a spider on the screen. They often score 900 for a single kill :)

Or 1200 if they're really close to you, or even 900/1800/2700/3600 if they're destroyed by DDT (3 times normal point value, determined by how close they are to you).

I usually hit the dragonfly wave somewhere between 40,000 and 45,000.

Even then would your endscore be above 50.000, no? I usually score some 15.000-25.000 in that wave.

Maybe not. I love the swarming waves, especially the mosquitos (I think-- they look kind of like the bees but they zig-zag), because if I'm lucky I can really rack up the points-- but sometimes I get clobbered right away, before I even get a chance to zap one bug! :)

Also, just because he posted a score of 50,130 doesn't mean that's the highest he's ever gotten. I've gotten well over 300,000 before, maybe even over 400,000-- I forget, since I didn't write it down-- but I'm posting only the scores that I'm actually getting this week. Now that I've switched to the FB2 and a joystick, I expect to break 3K soon, although my hands will be sore for a long time. On the other hand, the keyboard is much less painful to use, but I can't control the movement very well.

I'm a little confused about the bugs, actually. I always thought the thin ones that come down at a slant, which push the mushrooms up the screen if you hit them, were the mosquitos-- but from what I've been reading, they're actually the dragonflies? :?

Geez, maybe I should dig out my cartridge and see if the instructions include any pictures. :ponder:

"Instructions?!? I don't need no stinkin' instructions!"

Michael Rideout

Also, just because he posted a score of 50,130 doesn't mean that's the highest he's ever gotten.

Sure, it just made me curious enough to ask :)

I'm a little confused about the bugs, actually. I always thought the thin ones that come down at a slant, which push the mushrooms up the screen if you hit them, were the mosquitos-- but from what I've been reading, they're actually the dragonflies? :?

Uihjah... Dragonflies... Next thing you're telling me is that the stones are supposed to be mushrooms or what? :-o

BTW: I like that bug that renders the stones undestructable. With those you can rapid fire in the bottom section very fast, without having to change your position all the time :)

Uihjah... Dragonflies... Next thing you're telling me is that the stones are supposed to be mushrooms or what? :-o

I searched online until I found some descriptions of the bugs (Wikipedia, for one!), as well as a page about the arcade game that included pictures, and it turns out I was right the first time-- the thin bugs that fly diagonally and make the mushroom field scroll up when you hit them are mosquitoes, not dragonflies! The dragonflies are the ones that go back and forth as they come down the screen (I always wondered what they were supposed to be).

BTW: I like that bug that renders the stones undestructable. With those you can rapid fire in the bottom section very fast, without having to change your position all the time :)

Those are the beetles, and I found out that they're supposed to be turning the mushrooms into indestructible *flowers*! :)

Michael Rideout

Those are the beetles, and I found out that they're supposed to be turning the mushrooms into indestructible *flowers*! :)

Aha! :)

So, while we have some volunteer reading the manual, what does it say about that weird (end-of-a-wave?) effect, when dozens of new mushrooms pop up in each column? Can this be avoided (other than commiting suicide when it starts... :ponder:)?

I bought a cheap digital camera, since I can't find my other one, but between my cheap camera and my crappy little TV, this was the best picture I could get...

post-7456-1155789143_thumb.jpg

At one point I had seven extra lives showing, and when I lost a life, I still had seven extra lives showing, so I had actually had eight extra lives. I'd always wondered about that-- up to seven extra lives can be shown at once (presumably six missiles and the ball, although I don't know why they couldn't be shown by playfield pixels).

Michael Rideout

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Aaargh!

So I decided to start playing Oblivion from the beginning, and I'm spending all day in jail (at the very beginning) building up my Athletics, Acrobatics, Sneak, and Restoration. I've got my Athletics up to 25, Acrobatics up to 26, Restoration up to 33, and Sneak up to 100. But this involves running at the wall in sneak mode, so I'm letting the computer sit there, and in the meantime I'm playing Millipede on the Flashback 2. Then, just as my Sneak ability went to 100, I got a score of 640219 on Millipede, so I grab my camera to take a picture. Only the battery is so low that I have to attach the camera to the computer to save the picture... and it totally locks up Oblivion before I saved my progress! :x

MR

post-7456-1159758687_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...