IGNORED

Falcon owners?

Zeptari

What do you mean with "anything running"?

I have a fully working EtherNat: I am on a Mac+Linux+PC local network and I read and write to all shared devices using NFS (under MiNT)

I just can't print, since there isn't a port of the lp unix command on MiNT, so I have to print to a file, and then print it with lp fron another box.

HTTP also works great (CAB 2.5 and Highwire) as well as FTP

Thanks Jens, but Bnet has been a NO-GO!

I don't actually know why, but I tried everything came in my mind to make it work: using gluestick, using plain stik-sting, using both.

Maybe it is because of MiNT, maybe not. However, now I am used to this additional step of printing to a file, hoping that one day the lp command will see the light on MiNT.

Same goes with LPR, that suold actually be the ST version of LP, but it only works on Sting, and I coudn't use it with Gluestik.

There were MiNT libraries in the works, but nothing happened :-(

Edited by Paolo

CT-63 / 68060 @ 100MHZ w/ 128M RAM

You know, you guys with the 100mhz CT60 Falcon are really starting

to get on my nerves! <lol>

I can only get 95mhz out of mine - well, maybe 97.5. At 100 mhz, I

get random software errors and stuff.

Maybe I should add water cooling, or some kind of cryo-freeze

setup... :D

Some people get this kind of errors but they disapear using a new Atx power supply. But you must know one thing i have done some benchmarks, after 95 Mhz the Falcon slow down in performance. So 95 Mhz is a good frequency.

GT :)

Well, my Falcon arrived last night. It is about 90-95% cosmetically sane. Looks pretty darn good after a run through the dishwasher! One problem I've noticed though is the previous owner lost a couple of case screws so he just used what he could find and ended up splitting a couple of the posts that the screws go into. I am going to contact Best to see what a Falcon case would run. If they have one I will keep the existing case as a backup since it is clean and unyellowed.

I am considering using the CT63 but my frustrations are the external PSU. How does it all fit together? I am not sure since I received them separately.

Gary

I am considering using the CT63 but my frustrations are the external PSU. How does it all fit together? I am not sure since I received them separately.

Gary

Gary, you ever thought about just recasing your Falcon? Its what a lot of us have done.

There are various places across the 'net with descriptions on what people have done.

I went with the Wizztronics Rack case, although its *very* expensive, IMHO.

You can see my recased Falcon at my website. (see sig).

Gary

Gary, you ever thought about just recasing your Falcon? Its what a lot of us have done.

There are various places across the 'net with descriptions on what people have done.

I went with the Wizztronics Rack case, although its *very* expensive, IMHO.

You can see my recased Falcon at my website. (see sig).

I could but I am a purist. I like my machines to be as close to original condition as possible.

I could but I am a purist. I like my machines to be as close to original condition as possible.

I never even considered recasing my Falcon, or Amiga 1200 for that matter. They just wouldn't be the same machine to me. Not that I won't do things on the inside ;)

Then again, I don't use them for anything heavy either.

I never even considered recasing my Falcon, or Amiga 1200 for that matter. They just wouldn't be the same machine to me. Not that I won't do things on the inside ;)

Then again, I don't use them for anything heavy either.

I understand where you guys are coming from. I think thats why quite a few Falcon owners

have 2 machines. One stock, or fairly so, at least doing everything but radically changing its

looks, and one that is an ultimate or "mega" Falcon with the works.

I know I like my Falcon in a Wizztronics case much more than the stock case with an

external P/S hanging out the back of it. :)

<shrugs> Different strokes for different folks...its nice having choices. :)

Just thinking that I have so many choices, that my CT60 Falcon sits completely naked (AAAARGGHHHH!) on my desktop, with keyboard interface (eiffel) hanging here and the PSU hanging there, and an old mouse used as powerbutton hanging somewhere else, and ...

What I'd like to do is making (well, letting some professional make) a [what's the name of that plastic-like transparent stuff] case that suits my Falcon in an horizontal fashion (no towers).

Just thinking that I have so many choices, that my CT60 Falcon sits completely naked (AAAARGGHHHH!) on my desktop, with keyboard interface (eiffel) hanging here and the PSU hanging there, and an old mouse used as powerbutton hanging somewhere else, and ...

What I'd like to do is making (well, letting some professional make) a [what's the name of that plastic-like transparent stuff] case that suits my Falcon in an horizontal fashion (no towers).

Well, I spent a fair amount of time cleaning up my new Falcon. Here are the final photos. Enjoy. :)

http://gallery.randomspamsubjects.com/main.../ataris/falcon/

I called Best about the CT63. Brad told me to send my Falcon out to have it installed since each Falcon is allegedly slightly different so it would be difficult for me to install correctly :(

I called Best about the CT63. Brad told me to send my Falcon out to have it installed since each Falcon is allegedly slightly different so it would be difficult for me to install correctly :(

Clean looking Falcon, congrats.

About the CT6x series...

Brad is awesome, I buy stuff from him all the time. Thank goodness

we still have people like him around...

But...I'm not so sure he's 100% correct on this. Aside from a few

(mostly user) problems, I think most CT6x buyers have come away

with a very good experience.

The CT6x plugs into the expansion port on the Falcon's motherboard.

Its that simple. You do need to find good memory to install in it, as

well as having a good memory card (and memory again) in the Falcons

memory slot. A good brand name ATX power supply is needed as well.

You do have to plug the original floppy drive power cable into the CT60,

not sure about the CT63. But...there is no soldering involved. On the

software side, you install a config CPX for the CT6x and thats it.

I'll put it to you like this, I did it, and if I can do it... <lol>

The really difficult part to me, is when you start talking about the mother

board mods (boost). That was way over my head so I sent it off to Mark

Ducksworth, who was kind enough to do it for me. Here, slight diffs in the

Falcons do show up - some can be boosted to x speed, some can't. Some

DSPs handle higher speeds, others don't. So it does take a little patience

and experimenting by the installer.

If I were you and had reservations, I'd go to Rodolphe Czuba's web site:

http://www.czuba-tech.com/

grab his e-mail address, and ask him about it. He usually responds very

quickly. (he does tend to get excited and answer questions sometimes

in! a! form! like! this!, but don't pay any attention to that - just his style)

HTHs.

Edited by DarkLord

That sounds like the very first PC I built - oh, like a million years ago it seems. That badboy had everything mounted to a piece of plywood. Yeah! :D

Ok, all!

Some of you will probably faint, now; so be warned! ;-)

Although my Falcon is *very* functional, and it is *still* a Falcon, I need to find him a proper -hmmm- nest.

here we go!

The pictures are grainy, since I did not use a flash, and I did not set properly the camera, but I think you got the idea...

post-978-1164237930_thumb.jpg

post-978-1164237946_thumb.jpg

post-978-1164237959_thumb.jpg

Hmmm... a couple of months, more or less.

It is connected in a 100Mbit LAN with a Mac, a LinuxBox and some Winboxes, routed to the Internet at a 4Mbps adsl connection. The LAN activity is performed vith SahrityLight, which mounts other systems' shares as NFS.

I use Mint (as I already wrote in other threads) with its net modules, and I just activated Gluestik in order to use Aicq.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Atari Falcon 030

14MB RAM

Falcon to VGA Adapter, Falcon to ST Adapter

Syquest Easydrive 135MB, Iomega Jazz 1GB, Panasonic SCSI CD-ROM

Cubase 3.10 and Dongle

Atari branded carry case/gig bag

Manuals, discs, CD-ROMs, etc.

(by the way, I'd be happy to take generous offers for the lot) ;-)