IGNORED

HSC Season 4 Week 21: Super Breakout

Ze_ro

Important Note: This week's competition is over. If you wish to discuss Super Breakout, feel free to use this thread, but no further scores will be accepted.

Imagine you're in a one-man space shuttle travelling through the heavens at the speed of light. you and your tiny ship are totally engulfed in darkness, except for the luminance of an occasional passing star.

Suddenly, without warning, there's a brilliant flash straight ahead. You check the radar screen. Nothing. Pretty soon there's another flash, and another. Next thing you know the flashes have turned into one gigantic force field of some kind and it's dead ahead. You check the radar screen again, still nothing.

The colors in this mysterious force field are so bright, they're almost blinding. And they seem to be in layers. But the stranges thing is that nothing shows up on the radar screen. What could that mean? Is it possible to travel through this mysterious force field or will you crash and be destroyed? And what about the layers? If you make it through one, can you make it through the next, and the next?

It's decision time and there are only a few seconds to think about it. Turn back or blast ahead and try to make it through the layers of the brightly colored force field. It's up to you.

Game Information

• Game Name: Super Breakout
  • Released By: 1978, Atari
  • Left Difficulty: B / Novice - Large Paddle
  • Right Difficulty: N/A
  • Game Mode: Game 7 (Progressive)
  • Chosen By: Dauber

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Thursday, September 21st at 1:30 AM (CST).

If you want to suggest a game for future weeks, please send me a private message and let me know! I will add your game to the list. One one game per person will be kept on the list, so you will not be able to suggest a game until your first game is played!

Anyone can play! Just post a score and I'll add you to the list! Please read the Rules & Information if you haven't already done so!

Current High Scores

1. 3415 (Rom Hunter) [+11]
  2. 2639 (SpiceWare) [+10]
  3. 2569 (keilbaca) [+9]
  4. 2484 (Deteacher) [+8]
  5. 2459 (the 5th ghost) [+7]
  6. 2086 (Christophero Sly) [+6]
  7. 1694 (Malc74) [+5]
  8. 1599 (Recycled) [+4]
  9. 908 (vdub_bobby) [+3]
  10. 521 (atari2600land) [+2]
  11. 255 (LarcenTyler) [+1]

Best Tips

• Deteacher [+2]

Bounties and Challenges

• Paddle Master - Score 2000 points or higher and get 2 bonus points!
    • Rom Hunter, SpiceWare, keilbaca, Deteacher, the 5th ghost, Christophero Sly [+2]

TwinGalaxies Top 3

(Difficulty B)
  1. 4011 (Brian L Wagner)
  2. 2796 (Alan W Hewston)
  3. 2254 (Robert T Mruczek)

Current Standings

1. Coming Soon!
Scoring Points Super Breakout
  • Bricks are worth between 1 and 7 points depending on their colour.
  • In Progressive mode, when a brick progresses to the last row at the bottom of the screen(which places it very close to your paddle), it will stay there for a specified amount of time and then disappear. If you hit such a brick squarely(in the center), before it disappears, you may receive special bonus points.

Hints and Tips

As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy of it available. Here are the hints it provides:

- When playing any of the SUPER BRAKOUT games, your best bet is to break out through the right or left corner of the playfield. The corners seem to be the easiesst points at which to establish a "groove". Beginners should use the larger paddle size. (Set the appropriate difficulty switch to the b position.)

- Be prepared for the ball to return at a faster speed when it hits the bricks in the last four rows(or the upper rows of bricks in PROGRESSIVE). You can miss a lot of shots simply by not being prepared.

- Don't panic when the ball reaches the top boundary of the playfield and your paddle reduces to half its original size. All it takes at this point to keep the ball in play is a little more concentration, and a finer touch on the Paddle Controller. In time you'll have no trouble at all keeping the ball in play when your paddle is reduced in size.

- Learn to anticipate where the ball is going to be. Anticipation can be a key factor, particularly when the ball bounces off one of the side boundaries near the bottom of the playfield. When the ball is travelling at high speed, you won't always have time to react and move your paddle to the right position. Your paddle will have to be in the correct position to advance. The only way to accomplish this is to anticipate where the ball will be.

It's possible to break thru the first level of bricks on the first ball if you are able to play off the bricks on either far edge. Any other place, you won't usually break thru before the ball goes wide-angle on you (thus losing a lot of possible points.) So, my hint is to try to play off the bricks on the far sides of the board. If you're lucky, you can break thru and knock out a lot of those 7 pointers, before they become 5's.

--Ze_ro

1,554. I play much better with paddles. :)

I'm not sure if this counts as a "hint" per se, but here goes:

It's possible to break thru the first level of bricks on the first ball if you are able to play off the bricks on either far edge. Any other place, you won't usually break thru before the ball goes wide-angle on you (thus losing a lot of possible points.) So, my hint is to try to play off the bricks on the far sides of the board. If you're lucky, you can break thru and knock out a lot of those 7 pointers, before they become 5's.

I will be a paddle master by the end of the weekend. ;) But this will have to do for now.

post-9712-1158356639_thumb.jpg

Edited by Deteacher