IGNORED

Tiger R-Zone

Dusk2600

Its really a punchline of a system, what with the headstrap and the Borg-like eye piece. Theres nothing to appreciate about the games other than how Tiger scored some major licenses only to make shameful games out of them. Star Wars, Panzer Dragoon, Duke Nukem, Virtua Fighter...All played out like those games Burger King gives away with kids meals. Although there is a sort of tabletop arcade version of the R-Zone out there I'd pick up, sad as it is I confess to collecting R-Zone games.

• Like 1

I got one of these back in the day for $10 and a Razor's Edge CD, of which I had 2. I guess it's ok.

Now the dumbest move I've ever made in my video game buying history was asking for Star Wars Millenium Falcon for R-Zone for Christmas on year. It was $20 and I hate Star Wars, I just wanted a game to play on it and it was the only one available.

But, you live, you learn.

Edited by bretthorror

I actually enjoyed some of the RZone things, but the head set sucked ass. I much prefered the table top version, which was actually enjoyable.

Most the games,a re well, pretty much like Tiger's own hand held LCD games. If you liked those, then you'll like this, if you didn't, then don't bother.

It's interesting to have, but not very useful.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got one. I picked it up in a thrift with Virtua Fighter in it. I can't even tell what the *!@# is going on with that lousy eye reflector thing. The game's 'graphics' are just a big smudge with the eyepiece. I came across the desktop unit in a thrift, but decided against it since they had priced it to around $15. Eventually I re-thought my decision, and when I went back it was gone.

I've only got three games for mine, the aforementioned Virtua Fighter, and unopened packages of Panzer Dragoon and Batman & Robin. I haven't opened and played either game, because Panzer Dragoon is supposed to be ever-so-slightly rare, and Batman & Robin has to suck. Everything attached to that movie sucks by association.

I had one these when they first came out. Had to play it in the dark, or else I couldn't make out the graphics on that screen/eyepiece, which kept sliding off my head. The R-Zone's intrigue was short-lived for me, but I'm pretty sure I still have it someplace, along with Road Rash 3 and Star Wars: Millenium Falcon Challenge. I remember thinking the controller was pretty cool though.

Personally, I never really considered the R-Zone to be a real video game system.

The controller is pretty cool, and probably the best part of the crummy machine.

And yes, in some cases, the game has less charactures on the screen, than there are buttons on the controllers. Though on most games, those buttons in the middle aren't all used, and the few that are, are just option settings. I never had very may ganes. Just Virtua Fighter, which I liked enough, and some other game like raceing or something....

Any Idea what the complete list of games for this thing is? Where would I find out?

Edited by Video

The most impressive thing about this system is that it is somehow even worse than the Game.com!

For anyone who's never played this thing, the games are basically about the level of sophistication of Nintendo's Game & Watch's, or Tiger's 80's-90's dedicated LCD portables... you know the ones where nothing on the screen actually moved or animated, it was just shapes that were either on or off? The cartridges actually replace the screen in order to generate new graphics.

--Zero

I have the tabletop one. It's pretty hairy. I'd still rather play it than the new Mattel Hyperscan though.

I heard the Table top one is pretty decent actually.

Any Yes the hyperscan sucks and in 20 years from now people will still make negative references to it :)

• 2 weeks later...

I got one of those back in the day when it was still marketed hah hah.. it wasn't a bad idea and some of the games had decent sound for LCD games. You really can't call the games poorly done... there is only so much you can do with LCD, and when you fired the thing up all the frames would glow for a second, they used EVERY inch of the LCD. I had Area 51 for it which was nicely done if not rediculously difficult. Also had Batman Forever, Virtual Fighter, and Mortal Kombat 3

I have the table top version, I had hoped this system was a lot better than I remembered it :P

A kid in my school had the eye patch version and I recall it being much better than it was.

How disappointed I became to see that no, it just is an lcd game machine.

I remember the ads, it was clearly advertised as an LCD game machine...

Edited by EmOneGarand

I have a boxed XPG version and several versions of the dorky headset version. I have about 7 or 8 games boxed in which all are in a safe place....in a box. The tabletop version( I do believe it is called the supervision) is blurry and hard to control. The picture that is on the headset package is priceless. About two years ago, I scored a headset version with a game Mask of Zorro(package and sealed). Anyone else have one of these?

I have a boxed XPG version and several versions of the dorky headset version. I have about 7 or 8 games boxed in which all are in a safe place....in a box. The tabletop version( I do believe it is called the supervision) is blurry and hard to control. The picture that is on the headset package is priceless. About two years ago, I scored a headset version with a game Mask of Zorro(package and sealed). Anyone else have one of these?

I didn't realize they made a Mask of Zorro game, nice find. The Mega Screen was nothing more then an inverted slide projector, it was an interesting idea but really just novelty. The only game I had that came with a Mega Screen slide was Area 51. Have any scans of that Mask of Zorro/Headset pack?

• 10 years later...

i got 1 of these a few days ago

I'm so sorry. But I hear there's medication to treat it now. Remember. It's nothing to be ashamed of. You're a victim, not a bad person.

On a more serious note, I remember these things first appearing in WalMart electronics sections and then being migrated to the toy aisle and then being migrated to the clearance aisle. I remember the systems being marked at 99 cents and the games being marked at a quarter each. And even then no one was buying them.

• Like 1

I had an R-Zone for a little while in the mid '90s. I thought it was neat enough in its own way--and red-screened "VR" systems were all the rage, at least until we actually played them--but I had to play it in the dark or I couldn't frickin' see anything on the eyepiece. It came with Star Wars: Millennium Falcon Challenge, and I think I had Road Rash 3 or something. Even though the games certainly didn't stack up to even Game Boy titles, I had some fun with the R-Zone for a little bit; I was still a dumb kid and we weren't very far removed from Tiger handhelds yet at that point, several of which I had and enjoyed. Whatever interest I had faded pretty quickly though, and it became a weird thing to mess around with out of curiosity every now and then. It got lost at some point.

The R-Zone was a repackaging of existing LCD games with zero improvments. Tiger LCD games, even before the R-Zone, were a very old concept. The only thing Tiger ever had going for it was that it was incredibly cheap compared to buying a Game Boy, and the R-Zone was no different in that regard. There's only so far you could go by being the cheap substitute.

It would be like going back 10 years, when people were deciding if they should buy a $99 DVD player or a $400 BluRay player, and what the costs and benefits were of each, and then Tiger comes in and says "Don't worry about either, I've got a zoetrope for a tenth of the price!"

• Like 2