IGNORED

HSC Season 4 Week 24: Gorf

Ze_ro

Important Note: This week's competition is over, and no further scores will be accepted.

The Gorfian armada has been encroaching into our space, Cadet. Your job is to attack them and do as much damage as possible. Do a good enough job and you just might get a promotion!

Game Information

• Game Name: Gorf
  • Released By: CBS, 1982
  • Left Difficulty: B / Novice
  • Right Difficulty: B / Novice
  • Game Mode: Game 1
  • Chosen By: Goochman

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Thursday, October 12th at 1:30 AM (CST).

If you want to suggest a game for future weeks, please send me a private message and let me know! I will add your game to the list. One one game per person will be kept on the list, so you will not be able to suggest a game until your first game is played!

Anyone can play! Just post a score and I'll add you to the list! Please read the Rules & Information if you haven't already done so!

Current High Scores

1. 58,200 (rheffera) [+11]
  2. 43,900 (Rom Hunter) [+10]
  3. 15,900 (Deteacher) [+9]
  4. 15,500 (Christophero Sly) [+8]
  5. 15,300 (SpiceWare) [+7]
  6. 13,000 (scogey) [+6]
  7. 11,950 (JacobZu7zu7) [+5]
  8. 8700 (atari2600land) [+4]
  9. 7700 (mojofltr) [+3]
  10. 4300 (vdub_bobby) [+2]
  11. 3900 (LarcenTyler) [+1]

Best Tips

• Deteacher [+2]

Bounties and Challenges

• None yet posted

TwinGalaxies Top 3

(Game 1, Difficulty B)
  1. 322,650 (Ron Corcoran)
  2. 182,800 (Stephen Knox)
  3. 118,100 (Robert T Mruczek)

Current Standings

1. Rom Hunter [238]
  2. keilbaca [172]
  3. SpiceWare [170]
  4. vdub_bobby [103]
  5. Deteacher [96]
  6. LarcenTyler [93]
  7. BrianC [78]
  8. shawnb [71]
  9. the 5th ghost [66]
  10. Malc74 [63]
  11. scogey [53]
  12. Cybergoth [42]
  13. theKLT [37]
  14. 128bytes [34]
  15. Jred [26]
  16. Christophero Sly [26]
  17. atari2600land [25]
  18. Goochman [25]
  19. doctorclu [22]
  • SeaGtGruff [21]
  • phaxda [21]
  • Lord Helmet [19]
  • Random Terrain [1]5
  • Lord Thag [15]
  • Nathan Strum [12]
  • rjchamp3 [11]
  • shadow460 [11]
  • ResOGlas [11]
  • Thomas Jentzsch [11]
  • rheffera [9]
  • Gabriel [8]
  • mojofltr [8]
  • Hiryu [7]
  • supercat [5]
  • Recycled [4]
  • Omegamatrix [1]
  • Dan Iacovelli [1]
  • ewing92 [1]
Scoring Points Gorf
  • Mission 1 - All enemies worth 50 points
  • Mission 2 - All enemies worth 100 points
  • Mission 3 - All enemies worth 100 points
  • Mission 4 - Flagship worth 1000 points

Hints and Tips

As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy available online. Unfortunately, it doesn't offer any real hints.
In the first level, if you shoot all of the aliens in the bottom row except one, the last one will be the only one that will shoot. So you can go take out all the red ones without a fear of being shot at. The only problem then is taking out the green one and the red one and still have enough time to take the white ones out. (colors I mention are for NTSC version)
Here is a tip for after you have been through the cycle three times or so.

At this stage the bombs dropped by the first two rows of invaders ( purple and oraange on PAL system) are extremely fast and if you are trying to shoot them from bieng underneath them you will run out of lives quickly. what i do is whittlee at the eges and then them move into my bullets.

Here's a tip for the Laser Battle stage. Keep firing your cannon in rapid succession and pick off the dive bombing aliens by guiding your ship into them. They'll be destroyed when they meet your short, but nearly continuous cannon volley.
Here's a couple hints.

Invaders stage: The White invaders don't fire, so try to clean out the green and red ones quickly.

Laser Battle: If the blue alien gets too far down, just evade his shots until he works his way back up. It's easier to pick him off when he's up high because you can get a shot off and run when he stops to fire at you.

Black Hole: (this is my best hint for the game.) Position your ship about 1 ship's width to the left of the first number in your score. I find that spot to be the easiest place to pick off the circling ships. You might need to adjust a hair or two between each ship to get the sweet spot. See the second screenshot for the general position.

Flag Ship: Seems like more luck than anything else. Hope these help!

--Ze_ro

Here's a couple hints.

Invaders stage: The White invaders don't fire, so try to clean out the green and red ones quickly.

Laser Battle: If the blue alien gets too far down, just evade his shots until he works his way back up. It's easier to pick him off when he's up high because you can get a shot off and run when he stops to fire at you.

Black Hole: (this is my best hint for the game.) Position your ship about 1 ship's width to the left of the first number in your score. I find that spot to be the easiest place to pick off the circling ships. You might need to adjust a hair or two between each ship to get the sweet spot. See the second screenshot for the general position.

Flag Ship: Seems like more luck than anything else. Hope these help!

post-9712-1160241156_thumb.jpg

post-9712-1160241166_thumb.jpg

6950. The third level is like, let's see how many direct shots the ship can take before the emulator doesn't want to taunt me anymore. The flickering is horrible if it messes up with whether you shot a ship or not. And the fourth, well, shooting that orange thing is harder than winning the lottery.

post-9475-1160279164_thumb.png

Edited by atari2600land

My colours are different cause im PAL. also im using an actual 2600 so ita a bit easier. Personally the game is easy till after ive killed the mothership for about the 5-6th time!

Here is a tip for after you have been through the cycle three times or so.

At this stage the bombs dropped by the first two rows of invaders ( purple and oraange on PAL system) are extremely fast and if you are trying to shoot them from bieng underneath them you will run out of lives quickly. what i do is whittlee at the eges and then them move into my bullets.

thats one of the things i used to survive to get my 30,700.

:cool:

Edited by rheffera

My new high score: 8700. My first-ever hint. In the first level, if you shoot all of the aliens in the bottom row except one, the last one will be the only one that will shoot. So you can go take out all the red ones without a fear of being shot at. The only problem then is taking out the green one and the red one and still have enough time to take the white ones out. (colors I mention are for NTSC version)

post-9475-1160289951_thumb.png

Edited by atari2600land