IGNORED

A funny thing happened on my way to get a Wii...

MegaManFan

So all week long I've been hounding the retail outlets trying to get a Wii, ever since I stood in line for one Saturday at midnight and watched it slip through my grasp as I was too far back before they ran out. After realizing (and I find no amount of irony in this believe me) Wal*Mart had been the most helpful in giving me information about shipments, quantities, and arrivals I decided to focus largely on one store within a few miles of me. Yesterday evening I talked to a clerk there in person and he said I should call back after 7 this morning and talk to a guy named Rich because he expected they'd be getting in about SIXTY more units.

I called at 7. He told me he had no idea until all their truck deliveries came in, and to call back at 1.

I called back at 1. NO WII. He did however tell me they had FOUR PS3'S that had just arrived.

I got off the phone with him and realized I had to make a snap decision.

* Stay hunting for a Nintendo console that seems destined to be in short supply all winter, or...

* Head over to Wal*Mart as fast as humanly possible and snap up the PS3 before all four are sold so I have SOMETHING new to play.

Less than 30 seconds later I had my shoes on and I was out the door. Less than ten minutes later (yes I broke a few speed limits) I was at Wal*Mart. Less than fifteen minutes later I had a PS3 and a copy of Resistance in my hands.

Okay, so I'm heading to Best Buy in a few minutes to buy accessories. Apparently my PS3 is the "barebones" model with a 20 GB hard drive, so I figure I need a lot of stuff...

* A wireless broadband adapter of some kind

* A composite or HD cable for my big screen

* At least one more controller

Anything I'm missing here? Fellow PS3 owners clue me in.

When I booted up this thing for the first time and saw nothing but PSP-esque menus, I felt a little weird. I suppose they did that for compatibility reasons but I honestly thought out the box it was going to be so new I wouldn't recognize shit. Also what's up with Talledega Nights as a Blu-Ray pack-in? I'm not complaining, but seriously, weird choice.

Sweeet! You won't regret it, that game kicks ass, I finished it (took about 25-30 hours, can't remember). :D

You don't need a second controller right away and the unit has a ethernet jack, so you don't need wireless. Depending on your TV, I would recommend a component cable or a HDMI cable.

Sweeet! You won't regret it, that game kicks ass, I finished it (took about 25-30 hours, can't remember). :D

You don't need a second controller right away and the unit has a ethernet jack, so you don't need wireless. Depending on your TV, I would recommend a component cable or a HDMI cable.

Without going into an overly long explanation, ethernet is not possible. It would either require well over 50 feet of cable running from the office to the basement (which the Mrs. won't stand for) or me snaking it through the walls somehow (which I will not stand for). I need a compatible PS3 wireless adapter I can plug in that ethernet jack. Suggestions?

I bought an HDMI cable, but it turns out my TV is HDTV-DVI, which is not the same thing. Shit. I also tried running a component cable to the back of my set, but the piece of shit cable I bought had massive interference and made rolling wavy lines down the screen, and of course the good brand Sony cables for component hook-ups are long since sold out.

I went ahead and bought a second controller anyway just so I can do some sort of head to head or multiplater on Ridge Rager and Resistance if I have friends over to show if off. I also bought a third party "chill" controller for a laugh but now that I have two wireless Sixaxis controllers (couldn't find a store with them in stock 'til about 9 tonight) I'll probably return that one.

I know 20 GB seems small (my Sony Vaio laptop has 120 for freak's sake) but I'm only using this thing to game so how much memory could I really go through? I've never even scratched the surface of what the hard drive in my old X-Box had, and from what I heard the drives are easily replaceable/upgradeable in PS3's anyway.

Without going into an overly long explanation, ethernet is not possible. It would either require well over 50 feet of cable running from the office to the basement (which the Mrs. won't stand for) or me snaking it through the walls somehow (which I will not stand for). I need a compatible PS3 wireless adapter I can plug in that ethernet jack. Suggestions?

I bought an HDMI cable, but it turns out my TV is HDTV-DVI, which is not the same thing. Shit. I also tried running a component cable to the back of my set, but the piece of shit cable I bought had massive interference and made rolling wavy lines down the screen, and of course the good brand Sony cables for component hook-ups are long since sold out.

I went ahead and bought a second controller anyway just so I can do some sort of head to head or multiplater on Ridge Rager and Resistance if I have friends over to show if off. I also bought a third party "chill" controller for a laugh but now that I have two wireless Sixaxis controllers (couldn't find a store with them in stock 'til about 9 tonight) I'll probably return that one.

I know 20 GB seems small (my Sony Vaio laptop has 120 for freak's sake) but I'm only using this thing to game so how much memory could I really go through? I've never even scratched the surface of what the hard drive in my old X-Box had, and from what I heard the drives are easily replaceable/upgradeable in PS3's anyway.

Oh crap, go ahead and get one of these cables then...

hdmi-dvi_cable.jpg

...it's a HDMI to DVI cable, that is precisely what I use. :) They can be found as low as 5 bucks + shipping, if you dig around. We bought about 20 of those for work.

hdmi-dvi_cable.jpg

...it's a HDMI to DVI cable, that is precisely what I use. :) They can be found as low as 5 bucks + shipping, if you dig around. We bought about 20 of those for work.

Okay, I assume I can probably find one of those on the 'Bay, but what about wireless internet? What should I hook up to the PS3 to get on my router? I don't presume it would be that hard, both PSP's and the Vaio I own were compatible with my network right out of the box (why they couldn't build wireless into the PS3 I'll never know).

hdmi-dvi_cable.jpg

Okay, I assume I can probably find one of those on the 'Bay, but what about wireless internet? What should I hook up to the PS3 to get on my router? I don't presume it would be that hard, both PSP's and the Vaio I own were compatible with my network right out of the box (why they couldn't build wireless into the PS3 I'll never know).

The 60GB model has wireless ethernet. What you need to get is called a "wireless ethernet bridge".

The 60GB model has wireless ethernet. What you need to get is called a "wireless ethernet bridge".

Oh for fuck's sake, that figures. Now I know why people are waiting to get the 60 GB model. Okay, so what wireless ethernet bridge should I get?

My guess would be that any of them should work, it basically just picks up the wireless ethernet protocols and hands them along, over a cable.

If it matters, if you have a wireless router, you can often disable it's features and essentially make it a wireless bridge.

That being said, it was definitely kind of a bitch getting my linksys SRX to not do what it wanted to do and just act like a cheap ass bridge. :P

hdmi-dvi_cable.jpg

Hell, you should just go back to Wal Mart for that cable. I bought one there in their electronics department (I forget the price). I use it to connect my PC to my HDTV.

Okay I'm now essentially more confused than I was to begin with on this PS3 issue. I assumed by "wireless ethernet bridge" that there was some sort of device, with either a USB or a 10-BASS T end, that I could just plug into the PS3 and it would pick up the router's internet broadcast. I mean after all I bought just such a USB device for my wife's computer so I didn't have to snake a cord all the way around the office to the back of my router. She leaves it plugged into the USB port and everytime her computer's on, she's online because it communicates with the router and keeps her connected. So whether you call it "wireless ethernet bridge" or whatever, I just want the one device that will do this for my 20 GB PS3. Not "any one will do," I want the ONE that WILL do - tried and proven. Unfortunately I haven't the foggiest idea where to find this information online because I'm sure most people online with their PS3 have the 60 GB with the built-in wireless and never even have to think about this issue.

There is such a device, but for no obvious reason they cost more than a router. The common one is a Linksys, I forget the model, it's a little blue box with an antenna and one ethernet port. I have an SRX router that I intend to use as a wireless access point, but I haven't tried it yet, maybe later today.

I also have a Netgear print server and access point. For $99 you get 4 ethernet ports instead of just one. Downside is that it's Netgear, so it blows (like, it's six months old and the USB print server part stopped working...luckily the printer I have it on has its own ethernet).

I thought Sony basically "unlocked" the USB ports so that you could plug in just about anything, vs the 360 ports that only work with branded products. Anyone try plugging a wireless USB adapter in yet? Also, at least theoretically, USB storage devices should work in the USB.

Eric

I doubt a USB wireless adapter will work. Those things are windows dependent. They don't work with a Mac so I really don't think they'll work with a PS3.

OK, megaman fan, I've done a little digging around.

Now, assuming you have some kind of wireless setup from your office, and you just need a wireless point from the PS3, here's an ebay link to the Linksys wireless gizmo. (WGA54AG) .

I've read a few reviews and this seems to be everyone's favourite, but these (buy it now) ebay auctions are a hell of a lot cheaper than the retail price.

If you don't have any wireless setup in your house at all, the Logitech Play Link and Nyko Net Extender are both sets of two boxes. One end plugs into your router or net connection and the other into your console. They're basically like an ethernet cable with a wireless gap in the middle.

Only 1.5Mbps though (compared to the Linksys 802.11g unit which is 54Mbps) though importance of speed here depends on what kind of net connection you have (as you're not going to be really using it to network PC and PS3). Anyway, there are loads of them on ebay too and they're cheapish, but that linksys is preferable if, as I say, you have some kind of wireless internet at home already.

I doubt a USB wireless adapter will work. Those things are windows dependent. They don't work with a Mac so I really don't think they'll work with a PS3.

OK, megaman fan, I've done a little digging around.

Now, assuming you have some kind of wireless setup from your office, and you just need a wireless point from the PS3, here's an ebay link to the Linksys wireless gizmo. (WGA54AG) .

I've read a few reviews and this seems to be everyone's favourite, but these (buy it now) ebay auctions are a hell of a lot cheaper than the retail price.

If you don't have any wireless setup in your house at all, the Logitech Play Link and Nyko Net Extender are both sets of two boxes. One end plugs into your router or net connection and the other into your console. They're basically like an ethernet cable with a wireless gap in the middle.

Only 1.5Mbps though (compared to the Linksys 802.11g unit which is 54Mbps) though importance of speed here depends on what kind of net connection you have (as you're not going to be really using it to network PC and PS3). Anyway, there are loads of them on ebay too and they're cheapish, but that linksys is preferable if, as I say, you have some kind of wireless internet at home already.

LIAB, if you were a girl I'd kiss you on the lips. I might fly over to the UK and buy you a pint of beer anyway mate! (Speaking of which I wonder what the bloody hell happened to Osmeroid, I haven't seen him around in ages.) I just bought the adapter on eBay and I can't wait to get it next week and get in a nice game of Resistance with you all. Hopefully my learning curve on it will have improved by then - so far I'm getting my butt kicked in the opening area. (Duck and fire is more like pop up and get slaughtered.)

Yeah, what did happen to Osmeroid?!

And you're welcome :) But I won't be able to play Resistance with you. Even if I was going to drop the money for a PS3 (no doubt even more money here), It doesn't appear here till March! I'm strictly handheld until next year :)

Congrats on getting a PS3, MM!

I know almost nothing about the PS3 as I haven't really read much about it or paid hardly any attention to it (other than knowing it was expensive). So I'm picking up info by reading the forums here.

I got a question: in reading the posts here, people are talking about "buying" component and HDMI cables. Am I correct to assume from reading these posts that the PS3 comes with AV cables? A $500 - $600 system bragging about it glorious HighDef graphics, doesn't come with component cables???

Say it isn't so, Martha!

Mendon

I got a question: in reading the posts here, people are talking about "buying" component and HDMI cables. Am I correct to assume from reading these posts that the PS3 comes with AV cables? A $500 - $600 system bragging about it glorious HighDef graphics, doesn't come with component cables???

Say it isn't so, Martha!

Mendon

Sorry old friend, Sony cheaped out. It comes with the standard set of component cords with RCA plugs. They charge up to $100 for a seperate cable but thanks to eBay I've got a $12 HDTV-DVI to HDMI converter which should hopefully put me in glorious HD (both the 20 GB and 60 GB system come with an HDMI hook-up standard).

Well it turned out CPUWIZ' suggestion for an HDTV-DVI to HDMI converter cable was right on the money. Instead of spending $100 for one of Sony's bullshit cables or $60 for one from a competitor I'm viewing glorious 1080i on my HDTV right now thanks to a $12 cable from eBay. R, you're the man! :D

Well it turned out CPUWIZ' suggestion for an HDTV-DVI to HDMI converter cable was right on the money.

Yeah, I picked up an HDMI-DVI converter cable as well. I initially had component cables hooked up, but my component switchbox is out of room so this is an easy fix for the moment.

The only problem with setting your PS3 to 1080i is that 720p only games downscale :( to 480p instead of upconverting to 1080i like the Xbox 360 does with everything.

The only problem with setting your PS3 to 1080i is that 720p only games downscale :( to 480p instead of upconverting to 1080i like the Xbox 360 does with everything.

Actually that's not the ONLY problem. Right now the browser mode for web surfing doesn't get wider, it just fills the middle of the screen and gets longer. Why is this a bad thing? There's no option to enlarge the font, and there's no option to zoom in on the display. Basically if you want to web surf you'll have to manually shift your settings back down to 480 because as is it's as good as useless at 1080. That's a damn shame too because I wanted to take advantage of the high res definition and use the HDTV like one gigantic computer monitor but unless they totally revamp the browser and put a lot more options in it (it's pretty featureless as is) that's not gonna happen.

Actually that's not the ONLY problem. Right now the browser mode for web surfing doesn't get wider, it just fills the middle of the screen and gets longer.

Hmm. I set my PS3 to 720p, so I haven't looked at the browser in 1080i. I have no problem with it in 720p and it looks great.

Clicking the right stick to full screen view doesn't help you?

Nope, it doesn't. Also I'm just now realizing that I have no sound because I can't hear any of my games or DVD's. :P

Well since the industry dicked around too long with DVI specs, it doesn't have an audio input in any case. When using a HDMI-DVI adapter, you'll need to use the consoles optical audio output (if you're setup will allow) or use the analog output from the AV port cable.