IGNORED

(Insert stupid Blog name here) - Ahhrrr... matey!

RSS Bot

I just wrapped up working on the manual for Phantom II / Pirate (coming soon to the AtariAge store).

Dave Dries (who did the Wolfenstein VCS artwork) created the excellent artwork for Phantom II, while I worked on the art for Pirate, and laid out the manual (which covers both games).

Pirate is basically being included as a bonus game, so the focus of the cover and label is Phantom II. The Pirate stuff is inside the manual.

Since you probably won't get to see the Pirate art until you buy the cartridge (and you're going to... right?), I thought I'd go ahead and post it here.

Here's the original rough sketch of "Up" Chuck LeDuc, and his faithful zombie parrot:

leduc-sketch.jpg

And the finished artwork:

upchuck_leduc.jpg

I wanted to go for a "wood cut" on parchment look, and I think I managed to capture that. I'm pleased with the way it turned out - still cartoony, but a different look than what I usually do.

There's also a treasure chest in the manual, which actually turned out to be more work to do than the pirate:

pirate_treasure.jpg

Originally, I was going to add a couple of other things in there as well (a snake, and maybe an overview of the island) but they ended up just not working. No point in forcing something to work that just isn't going to. Plus there's the whole "running out of time" thing. :roll:

Right now, I'm working (again with Dave) on the Space Battle manual. Dave's a great illustrator and designer (check out his Cinemarcade site sometime), and I usually bounce ideas off him to get some feedback and a fresh look at my stuff anyway. So working with him on these projects is pretty cool, since it's yet another way for me to stretch as an artist.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...;showentry=2466