Photo

What's the latest Atari related thing(s) you've bought on ebay?

4437 replies to this topic

#4426 SS OFFLINE  

SS

Quadrunner

• 6,306 posts

Posted Fri Apr 5, 2019 3:28 PM

I got these two (plus a pair of paddles) for $11 plus shipping.  The TAC-2 casing has a few deep scratches and I haven't had the chance to test anything yet.  I hope they work but at this price I thought it worth the chance.  

joysticks.jpg

I also got a USB BLASTER with which I hope to be able to flash my ANTONIA board with the newest firmware so that it will be compatible with my UNO Cart.  

#4427 DrVenkman OFFLINE  

DrVenkman

River Patroller

• 3,984 posts
  • Back off, man! I'm a scientist.

Posted Fri Apr 5, 2019 3:43 PM

I got these two (plus a pair of paddles) for $11 plus shipping.  The TAC-2 casing has a few deep scratches and I haven't had the chance to test anything yet.  I hope they work but at this price I thought it worth the chance.  

Holy shit that's a great price for a TAC-2! Those were selling for $25 - $40 just last year last time I checked. They're pretty high-demand sticks for 2600 players. I think I paid $30 or so for mine a couple years ago.

#4428 Nezgar ONLINE  

Nezgar

Stargunner

• 1,863 posts

Posted Fri Apr 5, 2019 5:41 PM

I got some M27C512  UV eproms from China and the guy sent them in a small plastic bag: two feet broken, all feet bent.     Fortunately, not a big lost, just few ICs, but I wonder "how is that possible!!!?!!?"

If it's just the 'skinny' bottom part of the pin, and the top 'fatter' part is still intact, you can snip a pin off of some other dud chip and solder it on, overlaying the fat parts together. My brother introduced me to this technique, as he used it as he really needed to get a dump of a rare EPROM with broken pins... I've revived a few EPROMS that otherwise would have been useless with this trick.

#4429 _The Doctor__ OFFLINE  

_The Doctor__

Flux Capacitor Master Craftsman

• 6,796 posts

Posted Fri Apr 5, 2019 7:12 PM

lol I've solder to metal nubs protruding from the edge of chips... forgotten about them and found them still working in the socket I left them in years later... have at it, you've got nothing to lose more than likely

#4430 manterola OFFLINE  

manterola

Moonsweeper

• 346 posts

Posted Fri Apr 5, 2019 8:50 PM

I will probably try to save those EPROMs. You know, we love fixing stuff even when it makes no economic sense....
Thanks Nezgar, I'll try your technique.
Btw, finally I followed your advice and got a tl866ii very cheap from a seller located in US. I got lucky I guess. It works with minipro Linux command line tool, as well. Very happy with it so far.
I also got a cheap $6 tooth brush sanitizer, that I use for the original intent, but also works great erasing EPROMs

#4431 Nezgar ONLINE  

Nezgar

Stargunner

• 1,863 posts

Posted Sun Apr 7, 2019 9:49 AM

I will probably try to save those EPROMs. You know, we love fixing stuff even when it makes no economic sense....

Hehe so true. Although it could mean not having to wait weeks for new ones from China. :)

Here's before/after pics of one I repaired a few weeks ago.

Attached Thumbnails

• before.jpeg
  • after.jpeg

#4432 Nezgar ONLINE  

Nezgar

Stargunner

• 1,863 posts

Posted Sun Apr 7, 2019 9:57 AM

lol I've solder to metal nubs protruding from the edge of chips...

Ooh that's serious repair there! I presume it would be super delicate, and probably wouldn't survive extraction again?

#4433 Brentarian OFFLINE  

Brentarian

Moonsweeper

• 478 posts

Posted Sun Apr 7, 2019 10:18 AM

Michael - will this widget accept the RGB output of a SOPHIA? If so, I may have to buy one myself once I get around to buying the SOPHIA.

GBS-8200 - it works with Sophia. I've had one for a few years.

#4434 gozar OFFLINE  

gozar

Dragonstomper

• 983 posts

Posted Sun Apr 7, 2019 1:29 PM

GBS-8200 and 8220 both tested here with VBXE (albeit on PAL systems) and known to work. YMMV regarding latency, artifacts, etc, but I found it perfectly acceptable, and more than acceptable for the price.

I have one on a VBXE and one on my Original Xbox, and they both work really, really well. I haven't tested the latency, but I don't have an artifacts.

#4435 hueyjones70 OFFLINE  

hueyjones70

Moonsweeper

• 311 posts

Posted Sun Apr 7, 2019 7:05 PM

A SIDE2 cartridge.

#4436 SS OFFLINE  

SS

Quadrunner

• 6,306 posts

Posted Sun Apr 7, 2019 7:54 PM

I was watching one of Hueyjones's 800XLs the other week. It had a beautiful AWC mechanical keyboard and a nice Wizztronic RAM upgrade. It was very, very tempting but I eventually talked myself out of it because I really don't need another 800XL collecting dust, no matter how nice it is.

#4437 shoestring OFFLINE  

shoestring

Dragonstomper

• 578 posts

Posted Sun Apr 7, 2019 8:46 PM

Ooh that's serious repair there! I presume it would be super delicate, and probably wouldn't survive extraction again?

Nah. That is going to be fairly durable. As long as there's enough leg exposed to solder a donor leg to then it's not coming off easily.

#4438 _The Doctor__ OFFLINE  

_The Doctor__

Flux Capacitor Master Craftsman

• 6,796 posts

Posted Mon Apr 8, 2019 9:55 PM

wiggling it out with screwdriver probably would be a big fail but they have survived the deft yank of a chip puller...

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users