IGNORED

HSC Season 4 Week 36: Kangaroo

Ze_ro

Important Note: This week's competition is over, and no further scores will be accepted.

The nasty monkeys have stolen Mother Kangaroo's baby! You have to help her get him back, but the monkeys aren't giving up without a fight!

Game Information

• Game Name: Kangaroo
  • Released By: Atari, 1983
  • Left Difficulty: N/A
  • Right Difficulty: N/A
  • Game Mode: Game 1
  • Chosen By: Goochman

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Thursday, January 11th at 1:30 AM (CST).

If you want to suggest a game for future weeks, please send me a private message and let me know! I will add your game to the list. One one game per person will be kept on the list, so you will not be able to suggest a game until your first game is played!

Anyone can play! Just post a score and I'll add you to the list! Please read the Rules & Information if you haven't already done so!

Current High Scores

1. 31,200 (Deteacher) [+11]
  2. 18,300 (Rom Hunter) [+10]
  3. 18,200 (Recycled) [+9]
  4. 17,300 (JacobZu7zu7) [+8]
  5. 17,200 (SpiceWare) [+7]
  6. 16,200 (Captain Beard) [+6]
  7. 15,900 (Cybergoth) [+5]
  8. 9100 (Goochman) [+4]
  9. 6800 (LarcenTyler) [+3]

Best Tips

• Rom Hunter [+2]

Bounties and Challenges

• None yet posted

TwinGalaxies Top 3

(Game 1, Difficulty B)
  1. 410,500 (Todd Rogers)
  2. 111,100 (Ron Corcoran)
  3. 79,400 (Carlos Marrero)

Current Standings

1. Coming Soon!

Scoring Points in Kangaroo

• Punch a monkey - 200 points
  • Punch a falling apple - 200 points
  • Punch a thrown apple - 100 points
  • Strawberries - 100 Points
  • Tomatoes - 200 Points
  • Cherries - 400 Points
  • Pineapples - 800 Points
  • The Bonus Timer starts at 2000 points at the beginning of each turn, and depletes over time. If the Bonus Timer runs down to zero, you lose a life.
  • One bonus life is earned every 20,000 points

Hints and Tips

As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has both a scanned version and a typed version online for your reading pleasure! Here are the hints it provides:

- When a monkey moves toward you, ready to throw an apple, watch the direction of its throwing arm. If it winds back underhand, the apple will be thrown low, so jump over it. If it winds up overhand, the apple will be thrown high, so duck under it. As you progress to higher levels, apples will be thrown mid-level, so either punch them or jump over them.

- Time your ladder climbing carefully so you can be out of the firing range of falling apples.

- Monkeys are usually most dangerous when you move away from them, so try to move toward them so you can punch them before they can throw apples.

- Time your jumps carefully. Mother Kangaroo can leap from the edge of a branch or log, but she must land flat on her feet. When preparing for a Super Leap, make Mother Kangaroo walk to the end of the log with her toes hanging over the edge. Then pull the joystick back and immediately push it up in the direction of her leap.

- For a high score, climb up and down each screen until every type of fruit is picked.

Tips:

Most points can be scored by hitting as many monkeys as possible.

The best spot to do this is near the monkey tree, but don't stand too close to it, otherwise the monkeys will start throwing apples at you!

An apple from above can also be hit (just like a mid-level apple thrown by a monkey).

Don't be too hasty with jumping the gaps between two platforms!

Jump diagonally forward at the moment you think you'll fall off the edge of the first platform, otherwise you will not reach the second platform.

Ignore the bell at level 2 and 3.

It's not worth it.

Although I try to ring the bell on 2 and 3.....just in case I get hit....I can grab some more fruit on the way up again (that is if you have any lives remaining). Although....I know I've gotten clobbered going for the bell when doing that. I still lean towards ringing it...just in case I have to go back up.
I ring the bell on level 2 (the first time through) and pick up the fruits right next to the bell. It's just a simple jump off that platform to pick up those fruits. Doesn't take long to do and it's worth it for the points. I don't bother with the bell on the 3rd level though.

When I get to the second board the second time around, I don't mess with the bell. Too many monkeys and too many flying apples. Just get to the top and move on. :)

--Ze_ro

I think the first screen of the three is the easiest to gather points. The 2nd and third screens are quite challenging....I usually just attempt to survive them.

ps You need perfect functioning joystick as well. I was using a worn out one to begin with....it was very frustrating....I had to use a FB2 joystick to get appropriate control.

Edited by Recycled

post-6203-1168262524_thumb.jpg

On an emulator, mind you.

Tips:

Most points can be scored by hitting as many monkeys as possible.

The best spot to do this is near the monkey tree, but don't stand too close to it, otherwise the monkeys will start throwing apples at you!

An apple from above can also be hit (just like a mid-level apple thrown by a monkey).

Don't be too hasty with jumping the gaps between two platforms!

Jump diagonally forward at the moment you think you'll fall off the edge of the first platform, otherwise you will not reach the second platform.

It's not worth it.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

It's not worth it.

Although I try to ring the bell on 2 and 3.....just in case I get hit....I can grab some more fruit on the way up again (that is if you have any lives remaining). Although....I know I've gotten clobbered going for the bell when doing that. I still lean towards ringing it...just in case I have to go back up.

Edited by Recycled

It's not worth it.

I ring the bell on level 2 (the first time through) and pick up the fruits right next to the bell. It's just a simple jump off that platform to pick up those fruits. Doesn't take long to do and it's worth it for the points. I don't bother with the bell on the 3rd level though.

When I get to the second board the second time around, I don't mess with the bell. Too many monkeys and too many flying apples. Just get to the top and move on. :)

EDIT: 31,200!

post-9712-1168398635_thumb.jpg

Edited by Deteacher