I just made an interesting observation: in the current version of iOS 12.2., Apple has changed the behavior of webapps that have been added to the homescreen: you can now put launch Stellerator from the homescreen, put it into the background and resume it later where you left off — just as with a real app.
With Linux, my next step in a situation such as yours would be to "sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb2(or whatever)" Often, the reason Windows tools will no longer write to a 'disk' is because either the 'bootsector' or partition table(s) doesn't make sense to them. Perhaps you could try a "disk wiper" utility in Windows instead?
I agree, but I'd like to add a WORD OF WARNING for the general audience: don't copy this and run it in verbatim under all circumstances. You absolutely need to figure out the correct block device to use on your system; otherwise, you may well end up overwriting you hard drive with zeroes. If you don't know what a block device is, don't try this either
Didn't you get it running with some patching? Or was that a different game?
Almost correct What I tried and got working was running unmodified DPC+ games on the UnoCard memory layout in emulation (6502.ts) by patching them. However, I haven't tried the same thing on the Uno yet. Maybe later this year, after documenting Stella's TIA emulation and a myard of other stuff that I'd like to do
I just received an email from somebody who's not yet a member of AtariAge (he's having trouble logging in for some reason, and found me via my website). He's asking me why Space Rocks doesn't run. Based on this, I gather he needs a firmware update. Has it been released, or are y'all still working on it?
There currently is no firmware for the UnoCard that supports DPC+ or CDF.
Man this may make it the system to get over the flashback. Unless there's a chance of getting stella 6 on it.
A major obstacle may be speed. I don't know the hardware specifics of the FB 9, but the Retron 77 is rather beefy (1.2GHz quadcore ARM) and is literally just enough for running Stella 6. There are several games and demoes that scrape at the limits, though we managed to get them all (?) running at full speed, and all four cores are in action to achieve this.
Actually, the worst ARM candidate is Spiceware's 128.bin 128 pixel ARM DPC+ demo. It is what we are using for the profiling builds, and it loads the core running the emulation thread around 95% Another fun fact: the final starfield in Kylearan's "Catharsis Theory" is almost as bad, even though it doesn't run ARM code --- just as 128.bin, it requires the profiling build for full speed, and the emulation thread runs at about 90% CPU.
Did you change any settings before launching the game? no, but I did a bunch of screen snapshots for image preview in the game select menu
Seems we got a winner It looks like you have found a memory leak in Stella. I can't try on the R77 (I don't have an USB keyboard around to try), but by launching a few ROMs from the launcher and taking a bunch of snapshots of each, I can easily increase RAM consumption by more than 80MB. I guess your snapshots drove memory usage near the limit, and when something tried to allocate some more memory, the kernel OOM killed Stella.
This may be a bug in Stella that we need to fix, but till then: don't take any snapshots I have added a few notes to the readme.
Ladies and gentlemen, the Stella team is proud and happy to present the first beta release of Stella 6 running on the R77. With this release, you will get Stella 6 on your R77 at full speed, including cycle exact audio, TV emulation, scanlines and phosphor, all with beautiful, tear-free vsync. You can grab the release from the github page. The installation procedure is largely the same as with the original community image, but be sure to read the installation instructions and the readme nevertheless before embarking on this adventure.
While this release is fully working and playable, it is a beta release, so there are a few known issues:
* The Color/BW and 4:3/16:9 buttons are swapped
* 16:9 mode is not yet available
* There may be some issues with aspect ratio correction for PAL games
If you encounter any other issues, please report them here or on the github tracker. Also, please be aware that you are using this on your own risk; nobody else will be liable for any damage to your R77, your computer or yourself. Note that Hyperkin is not involved in involved in the development of this image in any way (beyond providing the source for their original FW on their webpage).
Special thanks goes out to Fluxit for discovering that the micro USB port is indeed connected, and to Remowilliams for the original community images which already fixed many of the shortcomings of the original firmware.
Once I got networking access working (thanks DirtyHairy!), I was able to accomplish more in one day than in the previous 3 weeks combined.
I would like to add a big "thank you" to Fluxit; his discovery of the connected micro USB port was the key to getting a network connection to the device. Without it, no development from my side would have been done anytime soon
I'm currently trying to figure out how I would emulate the TIA, and my most recent issue relates to the way you use HMOVE/HMP0 registers to achieve smooth scrolling.
One piece of advice that I can give is this: don't try to model your emulation after the "official" VCS programmer's guide, but instead try to understand how the chip's interconnected counters work to implement the described behaviour. In particular, Andrew Tower's TIA hardware notes (available i.e. here) are an excellent resource. Just understanding and sticking to them will get you about 95% along the way.