Hey. I do a lot of stuff. I do this:
- Upload my thesis versions and write essays on my blog: bootlickers.party
- Vlog on YouTube: www.YouTube.com/JollyCommunist
- Run the Hip Hegelian Memes Facebook meme page: www.facebook.com/goodoldhiphegel
- Develop Homebrew Communist Atari 2600 Games: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/269750-sierra-maestra-an-early-wip/
- Run an Educational Blog on Atari 2600 Programming: http://atariage.com/forums/blog/703-vidaks-blog/
- Run a Blog on Video Game Hardware and Aesthetics: https://jumpnshoot9000.wordpress.com
- Full Time Unpaid Socialist Activist in Sydney, Australia
- Full Time PhD student.
- Write poetry: http://burninghotelsdown.tumblr.com/
I only get 27 000 AUD a year from my PhD scholarship, and I live in one of the most expensive cities in the world. This is less than the minimum wage for a full time worker in Australia, and is only twice the unemployment benefit.
I applied for 200-300 jobs last year, and was only hired to push trolleys at a supermarket chain. It would take be 4 hours of travelling by public transport every day to do that job.
This is the reality of modern life for future academics under neoliberalism.
If you'd like to buy me a coffee, go ahead. If you can't say something nice, keep quiet.
At the very least, just realise that I am not an exception as a PhD student, let alone a philosophy PhD student.