A FEW WEEKS AGO I finally got off my rear and worked up a rough draft of some music I promised I'd write. I got the go-ahead for the concept and I thought I'd post it here - I don't think anyone has ever blogged or posted (in the forum) the development of music for the 2600, and I thought it'd be fun.
Here's the rough draft: tune20060624.bin
The concept I had was something "plinky," with two different voices: one high, one low.
The drums are almost pure filler, and will probably bear only the smallest relationship to what they end up.
So then last night Rebecca went to bed early so I settled in for a good long session working on this some more. But...instead I played Boulderdash (with Atari800Win) for over an hour. Good times, good times.
I did end up doing a little work on the tune, but not as much as I probably should have. Newest version: tune20060628.bin
Not much different here...modified the existing melody line a little and added one more 4 bar section. Also added some code to reset the binary when you hit RESET, which is nice since you can't restart a binary in z26 like you can in Stella, and Stella seems to lag like crazy when I run binaries that play music. Of course, now that I have my Krokodile Cart, I can always hear my tunes on the real deal.