IGNORED

Songbird Celebrates CGE Fifth Anniversary

Songbird

SONGBIRD CELEBRATES CGE FIFTH ANNIVERSARY

July 24, 2002

For immediate release:

ROCHESTER, MN -- Songbird Productions is once again proud to be a part of this year's Classic Gaming Expo (CGE), which takes place in Las Vegas, NV, on August 10-11. To honor the show's fifth anniversary this year, Songbird has produced a limited number of Jaguar and Lynx collectables which provide a retrospective on the shows from the last four years.

The Jaguar CGE 5th CD features a slide show of digitized pictures from World of Atari 98 all the way to CGE2K1; nearly 50 full-screen, high-color photos are included in this collection. This CD will play on any consumer Jaguar CD unit which utilizes a JagFree CD compatible cartridge, such as Protector SE.

The Lynx CGE 5th cartridge also features a slide show of over a dozen digitized pictures from CGE's past. This is made possible by use of a brand new high-color display engine which allows pictures with dozens or even hundreds of colors to be displayed with amazingly vibrant color and clarity on the Lynx screen.

Only 60 of each commemorative item will be produced, so be sure to get to the Songbird booth at CGE right away to secure your copy. Also check out other recent Songbird releases, including Protector SE, CyberVirus, and the brand new Phase Zero Demo cartridge. The latter is an impressive, playable demo which includes at least five missions for you to explore and conquer, and is a great addition to any Jaguar fan's collection. Skyhammer and the Rapid Fire Controller should also be back in stock just in time for the show.

For the latest details on ticket pricing, directions, and special guests and events at CGE, please visit the CGE website at http://www.cgexpo.com .

Songbird Productions is the premier developer and publisher for the Atari Lynx and Jaguar. To keep up to date with the latest news at Songbird Productions, be sure to visit the company web site at http://songbird.atari.net . JagFree CD is copyright and trademark 2001 Songbird Productions. All rights reserved. This message may be reprinted in its entirety.

Simply because Jag release is on a cd (well, Carl, here you could put more than 50 pics, or there is some little secret in the cd;-)? )

Lynx release in on a linx cart, and I think it's remarkable, that Carl put so many pics in it!

Bye

No game is included, but the Lynx cart does play a MOD song in the background. The Lynx cart actually has 16 pictures (17 if you count the boot graphic); that's as much as we could stuff on a 256KB cart along with the MOD and MOD player, some decompressor code, and the display engine itself.

In reality, the high-color pictures can have up to 4096 colors in them, but some pics have fewer colors to help save on ROM space. Several of the photos with people on them look (IMO) stunning, especially when compared to what you usually see on the Lynx screen.

Hey Carl,

will any more of the Lynx carts be available after the show? I'd really like to see how the HQ pics look on the Lynx but I'm not able to attend the show this year. My wife decided she would rather go to Myrtle Beach instead of a video game show in Vegas :( .

• 4 weeks later...

Al has asked for permission to scan in the CD and cart, so I imagine they will find their way onto AtariAge soon. Screenshots will be difficult for the Lynx game since it uses a buffer swap algorithm to create thousands of colors onscreen... you really need to see it in person to appreciate it. ;)

Al has asked for permission to scan in the CD and cart, so I imagine they will find their way onto AtariAge soon. Screenshots will be difficult for the Lynx game since it uses a buffer swap algorithm to create thousands of colors onscreen... you really need to see it in person to appreciate it. ;)

Yes, I will do that this weekend. I need to hunt down the CD so I can scan it (probably still packed in a box somewhere), and won't be able to scan the cart until I receive it in the mail. But I can still add the entries along with some information about them. I don't have time right now to snag screenshots from the Jaguar version, since that has to be done with a video capture card and my Jaguar isn't presently setup, nor is the machine I do capturing with (I brought it to CGE and it's still sitting in the living room).

I may try to use my digital camera to take snapshots of the Lynx screen, but I'm not sure how well that will work. Still, I will try it. :)

..Al

I received my CGE 5th cart from Carl and I would just like to say that the graphics and music are very impressive. The music is in the realm of "Dragnet Rap Sound Demo" quality and the pictures are the best I've ever seen on the Lynx. The only cart that compares is the opening screen on Awesome Golf.

The pictures are still snapshots and there is no game to play on the cart, so it is purely nice to have as a collectors item and a way to show off the Lynx's capabilities.

I would love to see graphics like this on games, but I understand that storage space is an issue with the EPROM boards. Why? These days we have 256MB (and larger) MMC/SD cards for Palms and Pocket PCs that are only the size of a postage stamp. Couldn't 16MB and 32MB Lynx games be easily feasible for under a $50 price tag? I won't accept that the storage chips themselves would be too large to crank out large games on a Lynx-sized cart.

Tom

I certainly do hope we see more games down the road utilizing the high-color mode, at least for title screens, ending screens, etc. In game graphics would be even cooler, of course... I'd guess the code would have to be very well optimized to allow a lot of CPU to manage the buffer swap for the high-color mode.

One problem with making larger Lynx games is just that a new PCB would need to be designed and manufactured to support larger EPROMs via some sort of bankswitching scheme. Not impossible by any means, but it all takes time and money.

Screenshots will be difficult for the Lynx game since it uses a buffer swap algorithm to create thousands of colors onscreen...

Simply ask, I can do it.

you really need to see it in person to appreciate it.

There are still some old demoscreens on my site, using this technique:

www.uni-giessen.de/~gd1113/lynx/

They only run good on real lynxes, emulator only owners wont have much fun with it.

Tschau,

Sage