IGNORED

downloading games over the airwaves

jahfish

same here .... with so much information about the gameline and supercharger on the net, you would have thought that someone would mention it ... but larry probably dug out this prototype only after getting the research job for microsoft ...

hey rom ... here's some fresh pics for atarimania ;)

post-12-1245943776_thumb.jpg

post-12-1245943787_thumb.jpg

I would have crapped myself if I could have been able to grab Atari games off of radio waves.

Just think, if they broadcasted Pitfall! over the radio there could be some alien race form jumping on crocs with Pitfall Harry as we speak.

Fascinating.

I remember reading in some kid-friendly computer mag many moons ago, that a commercial FM station DID transmit programs over the air. The concept was simple: You turn on your boom box's tape recorder when they play it over the air, and you have yourself a program. It was the multi-casting of its day!

Sadly, I could never find that article again. I wouldn't be surprised if it was some FM station in Europe, as I can't fathom a station in America pulling off something so innovative.

Bill Heineman also claims to have worked on a similar device that got data streamed in through cable TV. I have yet to see a proto of that.

ist that the same bill that won the first atari national space invaders competition in 1980?

:ponder:

Edited by jahfish

Just think, if they broadcasted Pitfall! over the radio there could be some alien race form jumping on crocs with Pitfall Harry as we speak.

i think they picked up on of the test signals from larry, thought that it's a video signal and that the whole planet is just made of pixels, scorpions and crocs ..... and that's why they haven't showed up yet! :D

I wonder if Curt knows about this and could enlighten us?

Maybe CPU?

Any of you other Atari knowledge fountains?

I've known about this device for many years, AFAIK there is only one of them and I am not sure who owns it.

That's cool, all you'd need is a PCI FM transmitter for your PC, and a good deal of games to put on a loop broadcast, that would be sweet :P (and then FCC would be banging down your door wondering why your transmitting low range gibberish over the airwaves and interfearing with the neighbors fridge :P O

Bill Heineman also claims to have worked on a similar device that got data streamed in through cable TV. I have yet to see a proto of that.

ist that the same bill that won the first atari national space invaders competition in 1980?

:ponder:

Yes, and the same one that had a sex change operation recently.

That's cool, all you'd need is a PCI FM transmitter for your PC, and a good deal of games to put on a loop broadcast, that would be sweet :P (and then FCC would be banging down your door wondering why your transmitting low range gibberish over the airwaves and interfearing with the neighbors fridge :P O

The whole idea of doing this is multicasting. Unless you have a lot of 2600 users in a given radius, and a major radio network doing the broadcast, it hardly makes sense.

Now, in the late 90s there were many projects to use leftover bandwidth for digital data transmission. Larry Wagner had a company pushing emails and other IP type traffic via the VBI on TV signals. I worked for a startup that was using the WebTV for Windows specification (for things like the ATI all in wonder cards, not necessarily the standalone WebTV boxes, Windows terminology can be confusing). With analog it's a pain to do this. Now with digital TV this kind of thing I think is built into the spec. Program guide material and probably CC goes through at least.