IGNORED

Is the x-box souless? well lets get your ideas

This has been around since the dawn of x-box that it was juts a soul less cash cow so bill gates could make even more money. Now back in 2001 i would have had to agree most games were just re hashes and other then halo lacked any real quality. In 2002 it got better with shenmue 2 house of thye dead 3 and panzer dragoon orta giving the x box more flavor. Then in 2003 we got the what many call great kotar giving the x box a must have rpg. Then in 2004 we got metal slug 3 and fable so its not nearly as soul less as it used to be. But its starting to fall in to the fps and racing game rut it was in before. In my opnion the x box just has to many games that look and feel the same but the ps2 has the problem just not as bad. I think its a good system worth owning but hardly the best ever and the psx always felt like the soul less cash cow and how bad mnay games have aged helps that idea. What are your views on this subject?

I agree that the xbox didn't look too good the first year or two it was around but by now there are many good games in my opinion. We've got two KOTOR games,halo 1 and 2,doom 3,panzer dragoon,jade empire,fable,metal slug 3,guilty gear x2,otogi 1 and and 2,ninja gaiden,breakdown,riddick,morrowind etc. Not to mention that if a game comes out for both xbox and ps2 the xbox one will have better graphics. I prefer the controllers and I like the fact that you don't need a memory card. I used to hate the xbox but I've come like it a lot more than the ps2 which is mostly used for dvds and ps1 games. And you mentioned the system having a lot of first person shooters and racing games. However I think the system is great for these types of games. Doom 3 is a excellent FPS and couldn't be done on a ps2. I think the controller is great for FPS's . The placement of the analog sticks on the ps2 controller is a bit awkward for these games. And forza motorsport looks like a great racing game. I've played a demo of it and I havn't bought gran turismo 4 because I've been holding out for forza. The only bad thing about xbox is now that we're finally seeing some quality titles they're talking about coming out with a new system.

What the hell is this thread about.... your talking rubbish.

Every type of game is available on Xbox, and the percentage of Good games is higher on Xbox than it is on the PS2.

In the begining there was Halo, great though it is - it actually held Xbox back as it was the only game anyone knew about - basically it got too much press and everything else was in the shadows. This is a shame because there were other great titles like Jet Set Radio Future which is one of the most stylish and coolest games ever made. Other good early games include Amped, Dead or Alive, Max Payne, Tony Hawk, Rallisport, Oddworld, Project Gothem and Fusion Frenzy. All around in the early days of the Xbox.

I do agree there are too many FPS and Racers out there, but these are the most popular Xbox Live genres so that is why they are made.

All consoles have plenty of good games on them.... I say stop knocking them and start enjoying your games.

I think the xbox has personality to spare. It also has some nice looking games and you can put a tablecloth on top and serve a meal for six on it. I think it is like any other member of the current generation of consoles. Whatever you like, you can probably find more titles of that kind than you can afford. People say the gamecube is lacking in titles too. Maybe I'm not hardcore enough, but I don't have the time to play up the selection for any system, even in one genre. Especially if crap is a genre, that one would take a lifetime to play through on any system.

Edited by Atarifever

The xbox has plenty of personality. Look no further than Phantom Dust for quirky awsome games. Seriously, go pick it up. $20 and a great full title.

The XBOX has had personality from Day 1. It appealed to a different group than the traditional gamer though. Brought me back from the PC world. Not to mention it has some of the best innovaition in the last ten years of the console market.

LIVE and the built in HD being the big two that will effect gaming from here on out.

Not to mention, its ironic to see MS as an inovator rather than a follower.

You may not like the XBOX or LIVE, but you can't deny the lasting effects of both on the industry.

Love the break-away controller cables too.

It's definitely missing some of the flavor of other consoles like the PS2 or Gamecube because of it's lack of Japanese support. Where Microsoft are pouring money in to Western companies to make games that will appeal to the Eastern market. You won't find any Bishi Bashis, Rez or Fantavisions on the console, but you will find a lot of solid, albeit rather soulless, FPS and racing iterations.

Definitely holes in the JRPG and Quirky sections of the machines library.

It appealed to a different group than the traditional gamer though. Brought me back from the PC world. Not to mention it has some of the best innovaition in the last ten years of the console market.

LIVE and the built in HD being the big two that will effect gaming from here on out.

Not to mention, its ironic to see MS as an inovator rather than a follower.

841144[/snapback]

Those are two points I hadn't thought about before. Be interesting to know what portion of xbox users were/are hardcore PC users. I bet it is a much bigger portion than the number of PS2 or GC users who would identify that way. Also, good point on the innovation (although the xbox is still not as innovative as the Dreamcast was). I hadn't really thought about how surprising it is to see Microsoft being trailblazers. Although, it makes sense if you think about it, the market they don't dominate is the one in which they have to rely on innovation in. Competition will do that to you.

It's definitely missing some of the flavor of other consoles like the PS2 or Gamecube because of it's lack of Japanese support. Where Microsoft are pouring money in to Western companies to make games that will appeal to the Eastern market. You won't find any Bishi Bashis, Rez or Fantavisions on the console, but you will find a lot of solid, albeit rather soulless, FPS and racing iterations.

Definitely holes in the JRPG and Quirky sections of the machines library.

841167[/snapback]

I would say most XBOX owners don't care for JRPG and quirky games. Hence the success of the box without the titles. Though If you look closely, there are plenty of quirky games. The latest of which is Phantom Dust. Developed in Japan, and then ported to our xboxes. Not to mention the numerous other niche titles. Ive said it before, and Ill say it again. The majority of gamers don't want these titles. Look at the current huge sellers for proof. Sure there are some that sell extremely well, but the majority of the top sellers are not JRPGS etc..

XBOX has plenty of flavor. It is an american designed console after all. It really shouldn't have Japaneese flavor. It simply wouldn't make any sense. Not to mention the market is less dependent on Japaneese titles each year anyway. If you don't think Racers and FPS have soul then don't buy an XBOX because you wouldn't understand it. Stick to something else.

I will mention that there are a HUGE number of important eastern developers signed on for titles for the XBOX 360. I would venture to say the next library will be more diverse.

It's got a distinctly American personality, but there's nothing wrong with that. I got it for the Star Wars and Sega games, and stayed for the excellent hardware. Games on it look and sound better than any console since. The Microsoft Games clearly understand what makes video games work and haven't squandered their name and resources like Atari did. Apart from a few EA games, the XBOX version is always the best of multiplatform releases. The online Live feature hasn't been bettered on any other console platform and gives the box a whole new way to play.

If M$'s games division is still losing money, the XBOX is the best gift to gamers since the Dreamcast. If it's in the black, so much the better for the company, the developers, and eventually for us, the players.

I like the XBOX. A lot.

Now go get XBOX Live Arcade and play MUTANT STORM on the big screen with your dual analog controllers. It's great.

http://www.pompomgames.com/mutantstorm.htm

It'd only have a soul if you were buddhist which, come to think of it, many Japanese people are and they don't want one. It must have a nasty old soul in there :)

There are some great Xbox games though, but too many unimaginative FPS war titles for my liking. Can't help feeling a moral pang when playing a game of a war that's still in some peoples living memory. Not cool.

Stick a mod chip in it and THEN you've got some soul, by jingo. I've got so much respect for that machine now I've seen what else it can do other than play Xbox games.

Can't help feeling a moral pang when playing a game of a war that's still in some peoples living memory.  Not cool.

841301[/snapback]

Thank God someone thinks that besides me. I don't want to play a war game where there are a lot of people who can still remember having a loved one die in that war and all I have to worry about is a game over. I guess that is pretty arbitrary though, as people really died in World War 2 (and all other wars) as well.

I don't know about soul but I think it adds a certain attitde to the current gen. It has that big, bold, american attitude. I usually don't like that attitude in lifes other areas (politics, etc) but I think its nice to have in the video game market. I think each console in this gen is geared twords a different kind of person and thats why they have all done reasonably well.

-Tim

It depends on the game. I think simulation style titles such Silent Hunter III or flight simulators like Pacific Fighters for the PC are more history lessons than anything.

I'm not a fan of stuff like Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, and other titles, for the reasons you stated.

I'm not going to say that the XBox is "soulless", but I DO think the motivation for creating the XBox wasn't in the best interests of the video game industry. Bill Gates has publicly stated in the past that video game consoles didn't have a future, and that computers would eventually obsolete them. Of course, when his prediction fell flat and he realized that the industry is highly profitable, he suddenly warmed up to the industry and wanted to dominate it. Make no mistake about it, though... Microsoft has no interest in video games as an artform and is only in it for the money. That's why the XBox is double the power of competing systems... Bill never wants to play fair, and (as usual) is using underhanded tactics to take a bigger piece of the pie than he deserves. You sell a Ferrari for the price of a Ford Focus, and of COURSE people are going to buy it in droves. It's just like when Bill was giving away Internet Explorer when other companies were selling their own internet browsers. Microsoft could afford to take a small hit in profits for the sake of long-term gain, and ultimately, a market monopoly.

JR

This has been around since the dawn of x-box that it was juts a soul less cash cow so bill gates could make even more money.  Now back in 2001 i would have had to agree most games were just re hashes and other then halo lacked any real quality.  In 2002 it got better with shenmue 2 house of thye dead 3 and panzer dragoon orta giving the x box more flavor.  Then in 2003 we got the what many call great kotar giving the x box a must have rpg.  Then in 2004 we got metal slug 3 and fable so its not nearly as soul less as it used to be.  But its starting to fall in to the fps and racing game rut it was in before.  In my opnion the x box just has to many games that look and feel the same but the ps2 has the problem just not as bad.  I think its a good system worth owning but hardly the best ever and the psx always felt like the soul less cash cow and how bad mnay games have aged helps that idea.  What are your views on this subject?

840843[/snapback]

Uh, the Xbox is costing Microsoft money, not making it. And do you ever think to type coherent, readable sentences? :roll: