IGNORED

Stella at 20: DVD Release Petition

jaybird3rd

This post is a spinoff of a conversation elsewhere on AtariAge, which started as a discussion about Howard Scott Warshaw's "Once Upon Atari" but gradually evolved to include a lesser-known yet equally important production. "Stella at 20," a documentary series produced by Glenn Saunders and Cyberpunks Entertainment, tells the remarkable story of the Atari 2600 and the birth of the modern video game industry entirely through the words of the pioneers who made it possible. "Stella at 20" saw limited release on VHS videotape years ago but is no longer available for sale, and the purpose of this thread is to generate interest in a DVD re-release of this outstanding and historically important production.

For those who may not be familiar with "Stella at 20," a more in-depth discussion is in order. In 1997, a group of the video game industry's early pioneers reunited to celebrate the twentieth anniversary of the Atari 2600 Video Computer System. These individuals, representing Activision and Imagic as well as Atari's engineering and management groups, gathered together at Nolan Bushnell's residence to reminisce about the creation of the Atari 2600 and the golden age of video games. Sitting in Bushnell's livingroom and talking among themselves, their freewheeling conversation touched on the early days of Atari, the creation and design of the Atari 2600, the development of the first 2600 video games, Atari's sale to Warner Communications and the growing pains associated with it, the factors that lead to the creation of Activision, behind-the-scenes looks at the development of the 2600's most popular games, and memories of the late great Jay Miner (codesigner of the 2600, Atari's 400/800 computer series, and the Commodore Amiga).

These proceedings were captured on video by Cyberpunks Entertainment and were edited into two volumes. Volume 1 focused on the Atari 2600 itself and on Atari and the video game industry in general, and featured Nolan Bushnell and Al Alcorn and VCS engineers Steve Mayer, Ron Milner, and Joe DeCuir. Volume 2 features interviews with the game developers and an in-depth look at their games, and includes appearances by Alan Miller, David Crane, Larry Kaplan, Carol Shaw, Larry Wagner, Bob Smith, Dennis Koble, Todd Frye, Rick Maurer, Rob Fulop, and Steve DeFrisco.

The unscripted nature of much of the conversation gives "Stella at 20" a unique and refreshing informality. Nevertheless, it is a very polished and professional documentary, and at times much of its content is highly technical and philosophical. "Stella at 20" presents a more complete picture of all of Atari and its history than other documentaries of its kind, and the friendly and familiar environment in which the interviews occur prompts insights and comments (particularly from Nolan Bushnell himself) that are more candid than those you will hear anywhere else.

"Stella at 20" was largely overshadowed by "Once Upon Atari" after its initial release, mostly because of Howard Scott Warshaw's celebrity status and the fact that "Once Upon Atari" was more accessible and entertaining to mainstream audiences (it spends much of its time on the practical jokes and "smokin' the reefer" stories of some of the 2600 game development group). "Once Upon Atari" is an excellent documentary series, but Atari fans and classic gaming enthusiasts are hungry for more. Since the release of "Stella at 20," interest in the 2600 (and in classic gaming in general) has exploded among a new generation of players, thanks in large part to an energetic homebrew development community and mainstream products such as Atari's Flashback 2 console and classic compilations for modern game platforms.

I believe that all of these factors can make a re-release of "Stella at 20" on DVD a worthwhile and profitable endeavor. If you agree, express your opinion here and show your support. If enough interest is generated, perhaps Cyberpunks Entertainment can be persuaded to revisit "Stella at 20" and release it on DVD for the first time.

I wholeheartedly agree and would wholeheartedly back that up with the purchase of a DVD (should it be re-released as such, which would make a lot more sense these days, both for manufacturing cost reasons and accessibility by the audience, who almost assuredly have DVD players). I loved Once Upon Atari and found the stories fascinating and informational, but much of it was anecdotal and, as you said, focused a lot of attention on the antics that went on around the Atari offices (which in itself was amusing, and it was fun to learn about the sort of things you probably wouldn't hear in a more formal documentary). But something like Stella at 20, which generally covers broader ground and more diverse topics, would be a welcome and even needed addition for those (like me) who haven't had the opportunity to see and own it.

So, yeah. Count me in.

I believe that all of these factors can make a re-release of "Stella at 20" on DVD a worthwhile and profitable endeavor.  If you agree, express your opinion here and show your support.  If enough interest is generated, perhaps Cyberpunks Entertainment can be persuaded to revisit "Stella at 20" and release it on DVD for the first time.

938079[/snapback]

Yes, I would buy it!

Michael Rideout

I've been approached a few different times with the idea of putting in on VCD or dumping directly from VHS to DVD and I've always resisted.

I feel that if it's going to go on DVD then it should be re-edited and something new added to it.

I mean, in a couple years it will have been 10 years since I shot the original footage.

From a business standpoint it's a waste of time for me to put this on DVD. I didn't even sell out the original VHS tapes. The amount of work it would take for me to put it on DVD would not be worth it. I'd probably sell a dozen DVDs if that.

I originally shot the footage with the intention of getting it on PBS or cable TV. But that fell through.

I also tried to license it for use in commercial emulation but it never happened.

I think something like this is best discovered when channel surfing. It's not something people go out of their way to see. If you want to hear these stories, you can now go to a CG Expo and ask most of these people first-hand.

So while the "event" aspect of the birthday cake et. al. at Nolan's place was special, the actual content of what they were talking about isn't that exclusive anymore.

I've flirted with the idea of refreshing Stella at 20 by bookending it with interviews of homebrew programmers, to show the legacy. But again, I don't know who would be interested. The homebrew authors are all accessible online so you don't have to buy a DVD to hear what they have to say.

I think I'll put this on Google Video eventually, since then Google handles the streaming.

Edited by mos6507

From a business standpoint it's a waste of time for me to put this on DVD.  I didn't even sell out the original VHS tapes.  The amount of work it would take for me to put it on DVD would not be worth it.  I'd probably sell a dozen DVDs if that.

I'd be glad to put it on DVD for you. I work at a film college, and am currently working on archiving over 20 years (!!) of student films onto DVDs (a long-term project, to be certain). I'm using professional video equipment to do the transfers, and DVD Studio Pro for authoring. So I'm well-versed in DVD authoring, from MPEG2 encoding to making menus and everything in-between.

If you're interested, PM me. At the minimum - all you'd need to do is send me the tapes, and I'd send them back to you with the completed master DVD. And if you wanted to expand the project beyond that, that would be cool, too.

Once a master disc is made, it's easy enough to burn additional discs. I might even be able to do some of it... for a limited number of Atari enthusiasts, that is.

I bought Volume I on VHS, and really enjoyed it. I couldn't find Volume II, so consider that my selfish motivation for offering to do the work. ;)

Edited by Nathan Strum

I've been approached a few different times with the idea of putting in on VCD or dumping directly from VHS to DVD and I've always resisted.

I feel that if it's going to go on DVD then it should be re-edited and something new added to it.

I mean, in a couple years it will have been 10 years since I shot the original footage.

From a business standpoint it's a waste of time for me to put this on DVD.  I didn't even sell out the original VHS tapes.  The amount of work it would take for me to put it on DVD would not be worth it.  I'd probably sell a dozen DVDs if that.

I originally shot the footage with the intention of getting it on PBS or cable TV.  But that fell through.

I also tried to license it for use in commercial emulation but it never happened.

I think something like this is best discovered when channel surfing.  It's not something people go out of their way to see.  If you want to hear these stories, you can now go to a CG Expo and ask most of these people first-hand.

So while the "event" aspect of the birthday cake et. al. at Nolan's place was special, the actual content of what they were talking about isn't that exclusive anymore.

I've flirted with the idea of refreshing Stella at 20 by bookending it with interviews of homebrew programmers, to show the legacy.  But again, I don't know who would be interested.  The homebrew authors are all accessible online so you don't have to buy a DVD to hear what they have to say.

I think I'll put this on Google Video eventually, since then Google handles the streaming.

938126[/snapback]

Whoa! We might be getting somewhere!

Mos, with proper word of mouth advertising and posts regarding Stella At 20 on sites such as Digg & Slashdot as well as here on Atari Age and other classic gaming sites, I have no doubt that you would sell MUCH more than a dozen or so DVDs. There is definately a market for Atari lore. Just ask the development team for the FB2. Since the FB2 was announced, it has reverberated through the gaming community. Bottom line, the whole story behind the rise & fall of Atari and the trials & tribulations of creating the system & games is just too important to let sit shelved.

It's actual history.

You gotta think big. Your sitting on very valuable information. Let your mind wander. Imagine, selling your idea to Atari. Garnering a deal and having Stella At 20 packaged with every Atari Flashback 2!

Those are the kinds of thoughts that make dreams into reality!

By the way, you all have my vote on purchasing a Stella At 20 DVD. Hell, I'll even buy a few of them to give out to my friends. The more people that know about this, the more the demand will rise.

Looking forward to it!

Trusty

If you want to hear these stories, you can now go to a CG Expo and ask most of these people first-hand.

938126[/snapback]

I would respectfully disagree with this assertion. Certainly you can hear many of the same kinds of remarks at Classic Gaming Expo, but there are a couple of reasons why CGE is NOT a direct replacement for the interview material in your documentary:

1. Not everyone interested in classic gaming has an opportunity to go to CGE.

2. Not everyone featured in the documentary goes to CGE, either.

3. The discussions with the alumni at CGE take place either individually or on conference panels in hotel rooms in front of an audience of strangers, not in Nolan Bushnell's livingroom shootin' the breeze with old friends. You captured an interesting dynamic when all these people got together in a casual environment and talked about the old days, and it made the interviews come alive in ways that haven't happened elsewhere. I've heard and read alumni interviews from CGE, and even though some of the content is similar, "Stella at 20" brings it all together perfectly and becomes something more than the sum of its participants.

Another thing to think about: there won't be a Classic Gaming Expo in 2006, and regular attendees will be wanting to get their classic gaming fix next summer. Having this DVD out before then would be an ideal way of catering to that audience and would give you a sizeable group of potential buyers right off the bat.

Edited by jaybird3rd

Different time, different market. Ten years ago the retro scene was a pale shadow of what it is today -- it's poking holes in the mainstream. I would think that now far more than a decade ago many more people would be interested in Stella at 20.

Not so. While something like Once Upon Atari tends to favour the more formal, individual interview format, Stella at 20 is a much more informal approach that shows us something you can't get elsewhere; a gathering of Atari alumni at its founder's house for a celebration of its anniversary. What could be more apropos than celebrating that with a recorded document of it? And who wouldn't want that?

938126[/snapback]

If you're going to go that far then donate it to archive.org -- preservation is precisely what they're there for (and they're an absolute goldmine of history on video, audio, image and written word)

I own the vhs, and will be putting it on a dvd as soon as I get around to it. If the new dvd's we are talking about here were to have new stuff, I would want a copy for sure. If there was nothing new, I don't think I would be interested.

938343[/snapback]

I'd like to see some special features, too, particularly footage that was left on the cutting room floor and not included in the first release. I imagine that some of Joe DeCuir's remarks were left out, but I'm sure that editing more of those into a DVD release would be a lot of work.

I'd be VERY interested in seeing more of the one-on-one interviews, something like the Doug Neubauer "bonus interview" included on the Volume 1 tape. I know that several programmers were filmed but not given much time in the final release (John Harris and Jim Huether come to mind), and I think that including more of their interview footage would be a great incentive.

You gotta think big. Your sitting on very valuable information. Let your mind wander. Imagine, selling your idea to Atari. Garnering a deal and having Stella At 20 packaged with every Atari Flashback 2!

I have tried, believe me. Multiple times. Atari and Activision both.

The game companies just don't see the documentary footage as a selling point.

Besides, I'm not sure I really want to claim to have made any more money off of it because my revenue-sharing agreement is very complicated and I don't even have good contact info for all the parties who could still claim their cut.

So in the end I think it's best to put it up somewhere for free.

Like I said, I wanted this on BROADCAST TV. It was NOT meant to be a DVD preaching to the converted.

So in the end I think it's best to put it up somewhere for free.

Like I said, I wanted this on BROADCAST TV.  It was NOT meant to be a DVD preaching to the converted.

938675[/snapback]

I still say send it to archive.org. You can store multiple formats (streaming, download), multiple levels of quality, etc. It's the perfect preservation medium with good bandwidth and limitless storage.