Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by DanBoris

  1. .. and you get can a one year protection plan on them from on $24.99!
  2. The article doesn't give any details on accuracy, but the article does say that the shipping versions of the unit will have a software update to compensate for temperature differences since the speed of sound changes with temperature. That change is pretty small for all reasonable temperatures so that indicates to me this this is pretty accurate. I did some searches but haven't been able to find any information online for this device with the exception of an E-Bay auction for the main unit. I would love to see the manual since the article says it contains the schematics.
  3. I ran across an article about this interesting digitizer in the February 1984 issue of Microcomputing magazine. It is the Grafbar GP-7 and it's kind of cool how it works. When the pen is pressed it emits a brief ultra-sonic tone. The control box has an ultra-sonic receiver on each side that picks up the tone. The unit times how long it takes each receiver to pick up the tone and from that can triangulate the position of the pen. The results are then transmitted out a serial port to the host computer. The labels Origin, Line, Metric, Stream and Cancel are commands that can be issued by tapping the pen close to the box in front of the label.
  4. Here is an HTML5 version of Zombo.com.. https://html5zombo.com/
  5. This lead me down the rabbit hole of where the "80" in Z80 came from. Looks like it started with the Intel 4-bit 4004 which then lead to the 8008, 8080 and finally the Zilog Z80.
  6. I will admit to doing this when I first got my Atari 800.
  7. It might be a nice idea to do a Zoom call with the Atari community in a few weeks where we can all share our memories.
  8. I mentioned in my last post that I had only met Curt a couple times, and had some interaction with him outside of those times, but when I saw him at VCF East last year he had a way of making it feel like we had been long time friends. He knew I was a hardware guy and I remember him excitedly showing me an interesting hardware feature of one of his Atari 800's. His excitement for Atari was infectious!
  9. Very sad. I only got to meet Curt a few times but I enjoyed the little time I got to spend with him. Last time I saw him was at last year's VCF East. He brought a fantastic Atari display.
  10. I managed to find it in my old disk images. My father worked for the Franklin Mint which at the time was also owned by Warner Communications, the main reason I ended up getting an Atari. The program demonstrates the Damascene process for etching copper patterns, which is often used in electronics manufacturing. This may have been one of the reasons Warner bought the Mint. The program runs on normal Atari Basic. The first two screens will advance on their, but takes a little bit, especially the first screen. I was using the time to load some things in the background. You can go through the rest of the presentation my pressing a key on the keyboard. DAMA.BAS
  11. Definitely GFA Basic. I started using it on the Atari ST and then moved to the PC version.
  12. I wrote a program for my father's job that did a graphical demonstration of a manufacturing process. This was done on an Atari 800 in Basic using the hi-rez graphics mode 8. I used a utility from either Antic or Analog magazine that allowed you to write text onto a graphics 8 screen. I really should dig through my disks and see if I still have a copy.
  13. I am close enough to Levittown that I seriously considered it, but I just don't have the space for a pinball machine.
  14. Stumbled across this on Facebook Marketplace. Someone in Levittown PA is try to give away a non-working Atarians pinball. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2628342074044685
  15. It's a cool piece of art, but incongruous to me since I most associate Buck Rogers with the series from the late 70's. I wonder who did this art?
  16. I just ran across this one..
  17. I am not aware of any O2 cart that had extra RAM in it. In theory it should be possible.
  18. Here is a little article on the artist on a web site all about box art. http://www.boxequalsart.com/stevepurcellartistpage.html
  19. I am sure there is an answer to this around somewhere, but I thought I would ask anyway.... We are all familiar with the infamous Intellivision keyboard component. Do we know how many of these are still in existence?
  20. It's location varied. I had a machine with the sticker in that location.
  21. Based on the pictures in this auction, it appears that the auction the op posted is simply the box that goes inside the colorful sleeve. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-800-home-computer-system-48K-Ram-With-Original-Box-UNTESTED/133384720606?_trkparms=aid%3D1110001%26algo%3DSPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D225086%26meid%3Dd3d54085d5434ad5b48063ca5bc2ccae%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D402134754048%26itm%3D133384720606%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1
  22. The light switch would work fine for the gear shift. The dimmer is a little more complicated. There is more electronics in a dimmer then just the potentiometer (variable resistor) so hooking it up directly would not work. You could potentially use the potentiometer inside, but it would have to be the same resistance value as the one in Pong.
  23. That link will only show you your cart, no one else can see it.
  24. I ran across this video the other day that shows the inner workings of Blip. Really cool piece of mechanical design...
  • Create New...