Presentation was flawless at my end. I even paused it for a bit due to work stuff and it picked up fine after unpausing, no lag
High points of presentation:
- Intros to a lot of the key players (team/devs). How everyone seemed to show genuine enthusiasm for the system, the controllers and the Intellivision Amico vision
- Earthworm Jim 4 looked great, simply great. loved the match 3 joke and reaction. This should bring some serious attention when gameplay videos (ie: with enemies) is shown. Obviously there is no point showing more until say... March, then March you show killer gameplay just before launch. The game doesn't even need to be a launch title, the gameplay demo will carry you to a great launch
- Concrete retail partners. This adds legitimacy to the console. I don't need it, but some out there obviously do and obviously the console itself needs it to succeed.
- Bomb Squad was probably my biggest surprise. not only did the game look fun, but the video presentation of it worked. I'm big on humour and John Callaghn was hilarious. More of that game and him please
- Space Strike: Star Castle? Did someone say Star Castle? Holy shit this game looked fantastic. I think this could do for Amico what Geometry Wars did when it rehashed Robotron and found a lot of fans. Well done, day 1 purchase!
- Break Out: there was a real passion behind a lot of people showing off their games and the relationship with the Amico team but Alex Noisy (sp?) did the best job of them all with his articulated commentary. The fact Break Out marries gameplay with music isn't a bad thing too, brings something different to the paddle genre
- Moon Patrol: other levels look great too, and really nice to see some level of involvement from Scott Tsumura!
- Being an Amiga fan, the name Bitmap Brothers hit home; so hopefully Liar's Dice will be fun
- I'm a HUGE fan of pinball, so don't think for a second I didn't notice what was on the wall of Barnstorm Games' office! We want pinball and an Amico Timeshock, arguably the best digital pinball game every released, would be welcomed! EK will be a fun game too, I realize pinball was not present at the presentation lol
- Rigid Force Redux Enhanced should fill that classic shooter hole we crave!
Lower points of presentation:
- Confirmation launch date will not match up with my retirement date and let me be clear @Tommy Tallarico, I am NOT delaying my retirement just for you!
- I love what they are doing with Amico's menu but it did very much feel "early" (which Tommy stated in the video). There is def some work needed here
- Staff training is not up to snuff, I caught a few people saying "The Amico" instead of Amico. Crack the whip Tommy!
- I knew it wasn't going to make it in but I was so wishing to see gameplay of baseball (or hockey)
- Personally this close to the old launch date, I would have loved to see some press guys also booting up and playing some of the Amico games. Until yesterday, this originally was supposed to be the full reveal and I expected more Joe Schmoe's having their hands on it right in the stream. Not a complaint, but an honest observation. it's moot though because I'm not saying this from a position of doubt and I think a delayed launch is for the better.
- You need to find a way to get a Horizon Chase style arcade racing game on the system, pronto.
First more of a conclusion on some of the reaction here: I don't get how some people can use the word "mistake" to describe the delay. For a various reasons (mostly COVID19), they are simply not ready. If everything has been delayed including testing, certification, etc, then it's not a mistake but a DISASTER of epic proportions to go ahead with the launch. We've seen big market items get delayed (including high profile games) just weeks before launch. That stings a heck of a lot more. Here we have plenty of heads up and frankly, it is what it is and it allows me to get my after-retirement video blog ongoing prior to launch! LOL
Conclusion on event:
It succeeded on what it set out to do, show more games and especially introduce the world to Amico devs. As disappointed as I am on the delay, due to covid19 and maybe other stuff for sure it's not ready and rushing to try and make it ready within these uncertain times is asking for a disaster. Now let's look at the positives of the delay.
- obviously, more games can be polished and finished
- the console's development can proceed through some polish (boot up front end) and certification can take the time it needs
- I know that there was a hint that an appearance on The Ellen DeGeneres show was going to play a role. Man, it is not time for that right now but in 5 months from now? That could work great, time heals all wounds.
- having more time to launch allows you to line up more devs, more retail partners, etc.
That's about it. I want more but I'll take what was shown today and I hope you guys really use this monthly youtube series to mentioned to really open things up a bit