IGNORED

Mame on the XBOX

AussieAtari

Hello all,

I am wanting to set up a Xbox in a MAME cabinet and am having difficulty finding a simple and complete MAME solution for it on the web. Can anyone advise what to use, how to install and any tips/tricks that are needed to be known.

As this has no doubt been covered some time ago, even pointers to previous threads would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

There is an alternate version of mame that just happens to slip my mind. The guy that makes it though does not stick it in the usual places.

It's real nice. It was primarly designed for keyboard use (probably real handy for you mamecab types) and also works great with a regular xbox d-pad.

One really cool feature is the record/playback option (MameOX does not have this turned on).

I forget what else it does and for some reason it's name slips my mind.

You probably wanna get the final burn (X) emu for NeoGeo, CPS1, and CPS2 games.

If you can, search the torrent sites for something called "The Big Ass Emulator Disc"). It's a set of DVD's (three) that contain pretty much every emu and ROM you will ever need. Not sure if it is easy to find anymore though.

It's MAME set is missing a few titles (Atari 6502, William 6509) but I'm sure no one will have a problem fixing that.

Edited by Shannon

• 2 months later...

dang... I softmodded my xbox couple of days ago and I was thinking the same... but my mame cab is working fine...

I belive you need to treat mame for the xbox the same way for a PC (you know... roms in the roms folder... etc) but ey, not only mame runs in the Xbox, the SNES emu works fantastic and the same goes for the GBA emu.

is killr insticnt 1 and 2 possibl on the xbox ?

Probably possible to play, but probably not at full speed... The CPU in the Xbox is something like a 700MHz Celeron. Roughly speaking, you need about a 2GHz CPU to play them at full speed.

well i played someones xbox and it had ki 1 and 2 and ran 100 percent, i figured it was a specific version of emulator. I kno on my amd 64 i still cant emulate it perfect.

is killr insticnt 1 and 2 possibl on the xbox ?

Probably possible to play, but probably not at full speed... The CPU in the Xbox is something like a 700MHz Celeron. Roughly speaking, you need about a 2GHz CPU to play them at full speed.

Yes you can play them. Use the Killer Instinct Emulator. It plays KI 1 & 2 specifically. Get it in the "usual places".

• 1 month later...

That's weird, i modded my Xbox a few weeks ago and i have just now put MAME on it. The version i am using is MameoX or something like that. It is a mystery to me too. For example, i set up Street Fighter 3 and it says that i do not have enough memory or something close to that sort of message. I wonder if it's even possible to even run that game.... can anyone help?

Street Fighter 3 does not run in MAME so it's not going to work in mameox or whatever variant you're using.

Xbox has memory limits which can cause trouble for big games.

The Killer-instinct specific emulator is called KIxxx.

I could say more but I'm not sure what I can link to (being my first day here and all).

Whoa! MAME on the XBox? How? Links?

I have MAME4ALL for the Dreamcast, and I like it, some games have a little slowdown on there though. Most play fine, or at least the ones that I care about anyway. So, I am guessing that they would run better on the XBox?

More information if anyone has it please!

I love MAME on the xbox! Works like a charm!

I have not tried the Capcom stuff but can give it a look see later tonight.

www.xbox-scene.com is the place to start.

Let me know if it work good..

I saw a Video on Youtube of Street Fighter Alpha 2 Mame running on the PSP

I recommend finding the Big Ass Emulator Disc 3.

There are three sets, one an ISO with most of MAME, another ISO with three systems worth of big games for MAME, and a third with stuff that will only run from the HD. So look for BAED3A (I got mine from alt.binaries.games.xbox), and either burn the ISO or use xbiso to extract it and FTP the individual files to your Xbox hard drive.

Not only was it a painless install (I just had to think about what to name the new folder in G:\Emulators\), but the guy took the time to eliminate the games that didn't work. Be sure to check the text files to find out all the button combos. The main ones are:

BACK+WHITE = menu

BACK+BLACK = pause

BACK+START = exit

Street Fighter 3 does not run in MAME so it's not going to work in mameox or whatever variant you're using.

Xbox has memory limits which can cause trouble for big games.

The Killer-instinct specific emulator is called KIxxx.

I could say more but I'm not sure what I can link to (being my first day here and all).

It would be great if I knew someone who could do the surface mount soldering to upgrade the RAM, as I have a dead Xbox for a parts donor. Desoldering with a heat gun is easy, but I don't trust myself to re-solder those kind of chips yet.

http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Upgrading_Xbox_RAM_HOWTO

Edited by Bruce Tomlin

I love MAME on the xbox! Works like a charm!

I have not tried the Capcom stuff but can give it a look see later tonight.

www.xbox-scene.com is the place to start.

Let me know if it work good..

I saw a Video on Youtube of Street Fighter Alpha 2 Mame running on the PSP

Yes it has a bunch of street fighter games and dark fighter games. I played a few tonight and they worked great. I didn't check each game you listed but there should be more than enough games on the big ass emulator disks to keep you satisfied.

Can the Capcom CPS1 & 2 Games work on the Xbox

Street Fighter 2

Street Fighter 2 CE

Street Fighter 2 HF

Super Street Fighter 2

Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Darkstalkers

Darkstalkers 2

Darkstalkers 3

They work great. Although I dont use mameox for those in general.. I'm pretty sure I use FBA-XXX but it's been a while so I'd have to check :P