IGNORED

Best Atari 8-bit Computer System Joystick?

MrFish

I've heard a lot of talk on all of the "Atari System" forums about joysticks. Knowing that many are compatible with multiple systems, and taking this into consideration, what is the best all around joystick for the Atari 8-bit Computer System?

Edited by MrFish

Epyx 500xj (Konix Speedking) is far and away the best in my opinion.

I also used to have a modded CX40 with a shorter throw that I used for game competition. Placed second in 87 World of Atari video game championship with this stick. Would have won but could not compete in the final event so my score was lowered.

Almost everyone else was using the soggy supplied controllers. Why everyone doesn’t bring their own game controller with them wherever they travel is something I'll never understand... :)

Slik Stik burned a hole in my Cousin's hand once. He would play Summer Games by pressing his palm into the top of the stick to do the side to side waggling needed for the running games. Burned the skin right off.

Slik Stik burned a hole in my Cousin's hand once. He would play Summer Games by pressing his palm into the top of the stick to do the side to side waggling needed for the running games. Burned the skin right off.

DUH, :lol: What did he do play it for like 24 hours straight? I think the problem there is in the joystick to chair interface. :P

I always wanted to like the Epyx sticks. They're nice and clicky. Just never found them comfortable.

DUH, :lol: What did he do play it for like 24 hours straight? I think the problem there is in the joystick to chair interface. :P

I always wanted to like the Epyx sticks. They're nice and clicky. Just never found them comfortable.

It wasn't the amount of time so much as the pressure exerted. Some folks really put a death grip on a controller!

Come to think of it, that might be why I don't mind the Epyx stick - I don't think I hold it tight enough be uncomfortable. For a death-grip kinda person, I could see the Slik Stick being an ideal controller.

I don't like any of those Suncom sticks which used a metal ball to touch metal plates. I like my sticks to make contact at some mid-point of the travel, not only at the extreme. I like the Wico bat-handles and the Gemini Gem-stick (Atari clone with big yellow button) the best.

-Bry

Here's another vote for the Wico joysticks. I always preferred the ball handle, but I have several bat handle ones too.

I might prefer the ball handle too, if I had ever been able to find one :(

Does the ball version still have the fire button on top of the stick? If so, do you actually use it? Seems like it'd be hard to use, if you hold the ball with the standard "clutch" grip.

I've got one Wico Command Control with a "flight" handle. It looks like it should have a trigger on the front, but it doesn't (still has the standard white button on top). Unfortunately the stick is loose, and rotates freely, which I don't know how to fix... the guy that sold it to me thought it might be a combo joystick/paddle, but I think he was just joking (it isn't).

Does the ball version still have the fire button on top of the stick? If so, do you actually use it? Seems like it'd be hard to use, if you hold the ball with the standard "clutch" grip.

I never used the button on top with either joystick, since I found it difficult to press the button and move the stick together, but that's just preference. A lot of my friends used the button on top.

I've got one Wico Command Control with a "flight" handle. It looks like it should have a trigger on the front, but it doesn't (still has the standard white button on top). Unfortunately the stick is loose, and rotates freely, which I don't know how to fix... the guy that sold it to me thought it might be a combo joystick/paddle, but I think he was just joking (it isn't).

There was one Wico model you could buy that had all three sticks in one unit and you could interchange them as you liked.