IGNORED

Lead (1k)

seemo

The color of the enemy indicates the number of hits it has to take before it is eliminated.

To compensate for this, I obviously re-introduced the continuous fire, removed enemy horizontal movement, and slowed the enemy advancing pace... this now looks like a survival shooter .

full left/full right cheat has now a reduced impact... I think :)

Awesome! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

This is one of those games that is totally addictive to play/test. (Man Goes Down and Fall Down are two others that immediately come to mind.)

The multiple hits really balances it out nicely, while still keeping the original feel of the game. You can really get into a nice rhythm with it. The "left/right" cheat is completely gone.

EDIT: I think the horizontal movement of the enemies could be added back in. Or add it in once you reach 100 pts (or some other milestone).

I agree. It'd be nice to have a little horizontal movement back in it.

And even though this isn't the HSC... ;)

post-2641-1169840081_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nathan Strum

The more I play it the more I'm enjoying it. I am very very impressed. The fact that its all been squeezed into 1k just astounds me more so.

I'm eager to continue watching the progression of this game. :)

I find that carefully timed sweeps still make the game relatively easy. I can see being able to find the rhythm

and making the game rather easy. Although I know this is still being worked on...

I'm not so sure I like the overused space bird/bug thing thats being seen here, it

reminds me too much of games like Galaxian, Phoenix, Demon Attack, etc.

Although I admit that its hard to think of what it could be instead that isn't

so overtly cliche taking into account that these creatures do attack in swarms.

Of course, much of sci-fi has some sort of small hyper manoeuvrable craft

(TIE fighters for example)

I love the colour change in regards to their damage though, great idea.

Another question is in regards to the "rails". I wonder if its possible to have them rotate in shades

(not colours) as they come down. I think if subtle enough this would add more to the effect that

you're moving forward as the enemies do so towards you.

Edited by Atari-Jess

I'm not so sure I like the overused space bird/bug thing thats being seen here, it

reminds me too much of games like Galaxian, Phoenix, Demon Attack, etc.

It could be zombies, bricks, bombs, fluid drops, your personal most hated video game character... which have to be neutralized. Or maybe something completely abstract. Anything goes.

This is one of those games that is totally addictive to play/test. (Man Goes Down and Fall Down are two others that immediately come to mind.)

I agree completely. That is good company to be included with. I'm not sure when I started playing the game but it is much later now.

Keep those changes coming.

And please let Thomas see your code, if you don't want to post it here. No one is going to steal your work.

And even though this isn't the HSC... ;)

320 is my best. I'm not sure how I got that score, since after playing 100 games or so, I didn't come within 75 points of that.

Hi,

here's another update.

I completely changed the horizontal movement code/data, and tried to share as many bytes as possible between digit bitmaps (something I remember I saw in a Thomas Jentzsch source code), this created a whole lot of space.

So, I tried to embrace all the suggestions I got here:

- borders are now shaded

- enemies have two frames of animation

- every 100 point you switch between two stages, the second one has different music and enemies use horizontal movement (but they appear less often to compensate for the added challenge of tracking them)

This is as far as I can get, I think :)

Thanks for the great feedback and the appreciation !

Simone

lead_1k_20070128.bin

When you die, I find its too easy to accidentally press the fire button and lose your score.

I love how the aliens now move, I think thats great.

The "levels" with different music is also nice, but perhaps you could try to include some sort of Gyruss/Dark Chambers/Pacman like interlude informing you that you're progressing and that the next level is on its way.

Even something like a tiny second long ditty, a picture of the ship and your score/level number would be interesting.

Perhaps a different set of enemies on different levels would be beneficial

but I think limiting yourself to one type per level would be best.

I don't mean to strain your efforts or your RAM, I'm just throwing out ideas :)

There isn't any doubt to me that you've also thought of these ideas yourself, but

perhaps its helpful to hear others agreeing with potential ideas you may have.

Hi !

Here's another update.

It uses the same sounds for both stages, with an 'upbeat' feeling for the second stage, and the change of music between stages now is synchronized.

Simone

@Atari-Jess : when a game ends, you have a second to release the fire button. After that, if the fire button is still pressed, a new game starts.

As about intermediate screens and different enemies... I'm afraid I won't be able to put something in... anyway thanks for your suggestions :) !

lead_1k_20070128b.bin

found a bug - you can kill the bottom most alien and still die, as shown in the screenshot below were I'm dead but there's no alien there:

post-3056-1170036252_thumb.png

I've played about 5 minutes and have had it happen 4 times so far. I suspect the test for "your dead" happens before the test for "alien is dead".

Either swap the tests, or skip the "alien dead" check if the player is dead.

Hi,

here's a new binary with different enemies for each stage :)

Simone

@vdub_bobby : I wanted to remove the enemies from the screen before they started moving horizontally, to make it easier to adjust to the second stage (this also created a simple 'new stage preparation' effect).

Now, with different kind of enemies, I think it's right to make the 'old' enemies disappear, once a new stage begins...

lead_1k_20070130.bin