IGNORED

Sid Meier's Pirates for PSP

Flojomojo

The game isn't a port of the XBox version but rather a hybrid of both theXBox and PC versions.

Yes, very interesting indeed. I picked it up, very cool and highly recommended. They did a nice job of bringing it to the PSP correctly. And only $20! :lust: :D

Though, those cannon balls can be a bit hard to see when you get zoomed out. ;)

I haven't seen the PSP port yet, I'm assuming its the same as the Xbox? I'm a huge Pirates! fan since the ST days, and I love the Xbox version (they did an amazing console port) which quite handily is on the 360 BC list :D

Please let me know if you can play the XBOX version on your 360. It doesn't work on mine, despite what the backwards-compat list says. :_(

Please let me know if you can play the XBOX version on your 360. It doesn't work on mine, despite what the backwards-compat list says. :_(

Yes, it most definitely works fine here. Do you get an error? You have the latest updates for the 360 correct?

Of course ... everything else works just fine for me, including recent additions like Psychonauts. My disc is new and in fine condition. The error message is that it's not compatible. I wonder if there are multiple versions of this game out there or something?

Of course ... everything else works just fine for me, including recent additions like Psychonauts. My disc is new and in fine condition. The error message is that it's not compatible. I wonder if there are multiple versions of this game out there or something?

Just checking :D

This is probably of no use, but the disc name for my Pirates! DVD is SEP13011042072.

I got Sid Meier's Pirates! for PSP as well. I never had any of the previous versions for C64, Amiga, etc., so it's all new to me. It's a great blend of strategy and action, with even some role-playing thrown in. The game seems really well suited to a handheld platform--you can play for a few minutes, or immerse yourself in the game world for an hour or two. I'm having a good time with it, and the low price point is nice, too!

Just checking :D

This is probably of no use, but the disc name for my Pirates! DVD is SEP13011042072.

That helped. Actually, I cleaned the disc and now all is well!

Thanks for this review. I saw the game the other day in TRUs. I never played the original in the PC, but I'm a big fan of the Monkey Island series. I didn't grab it because MOST of the PSP games I have right now are a BIG disappointment, but I'll go back tomorrow.

The only game I can recommend for the PSP is Lumines.

I saw this the other day at gamestop, and I was happy not only to see another Pirates game, but it was also only $19.99 as opposed to the usual 39.99 a new PSP game costs.

Also someone asked is the xbox version is truley 360 compatible, and I'd have to say yes cause I play mine on the 360.

I saw this the other day at gamestop, and I was happy not only to see another Pirates game, but it was also only $19.99 as opposed to the usual 39.99 a new PSP game costs.

Also someone asked is the xbox version is truley 360 compatible, and I'd have to say yes cause I play mine on the 360.

The only store around me that had it was TRU, and they had it priced at $30, which put it out of my impulse buy range for the moment. :(

• 3 weeks later...

I played about 30 hours on this game and then retired. I recommend you do the main quest for the Montalbain guy earlier, since you can probably use the loot from all the ships you have to sink. I did it last.

I like the game, but I found the minigames frustrating at times. I couldn't figure out why sometimes the dance minigame was harder than others- does it have to do with the prettiness (read:rack) of the gov's daughter? And towards the end of my days (72 yo), I became really slow at fencing, and I could almost never win, whereas at the beginning of the game I could win almost any fencing.

The game is repetitive and simple, although somewhat free roaming. I haven't spent that much time with a game for a while. Certainly the most I've spent with any PSP game in a short time.

I've spent alot of time with Liberty City Stories, but the errand boy nature of these games, and the time it takes just to start a mission gets tiresome. Those games desperately need a 'restart last mission' command.

The only other game I've spent a significant amount of time with recently is the guitar hero series. I look forward to seeing what happens with the 360 version.

I recommend Pirates though. If you want nonstop action, probably the wrong game. It's good for starting and stopping portable gaming though. I wouldn't be surprised if some day I reprised my role as Pirate, despite it's repetition.