IGNORED

What was the last computer you punted to the garbage can?

deadmeow

I think after I started my first nursing job in 2006, on like my second pay check I went spending all kind of money, and bought an Blueberry IMac 300-400 mhtz range off of Ebay. The picture seemed a little bit off, and I had a 2 ghz PC at the time, so the Mac just seemed too slow.

To make a long story short, I tossed the IMac in the can, and I kept the nice little keyboard, and hooked it to my PC. It wasn't a total loss. Still use the keyboard on my newer 3 ghz PC system. :)

The closest answer I can think of was our WANG 386SX/16. The CPU, motherboard, PSU, and case were all trashed together. Still have the keyboard though, if only the damn spacebar wasn't broken I'd still be using it. The RAM is now plugged in to a Sound Blaster AWE32.

The 40MB Conner hard drive still works but I'll probably never use it again unless I'm in a strange retro-PC mood. That thing only works with a classic IDE controller. Years ago I found a page on Seagate's web site which explained the revised jumper settings for EIDE controllers - but I lost it and it's long gone now.

Much more recently, I tossed the LPX case from a Packard Bell "Multimedia" I found at a junkyard. I kept all the components though - that P133 turns out to be the best overclocker I own. Kinda like having a hot-rod Geo.

I threw out a Panasonic w/8086 cpu about 11 years ago. My father-in-law gave it to me. It was the one with two floppy drives, the heat-sensitive printer and the small built-in screen, all in a case with a handle. What a piece of junk! I threw it out as soon as I bought my 200 mb PII. Every other computer I've gotten rid of since then went to the Salvation Army.

The only thing computer related I've thrown out was the Apple monitor that came with my first computer (a PPC 6100 variant that I still use). It made a high pitched noise and the screen would start to wobble. Banging it on the side usually helped...for a little while. Finally it got to the point where it would completely lose it. The picture would go wobbly then zig-zaggy. I chucked it with no regrets and replaced it with a bigger ViewSonic.

The last time this household junked a computer was in 2002, when my dad tried to overclock our old computer. Almost succeeded to, except when he tried to pop off the fan, he popped off the chip under it as well. Needless to say, the pins got bent to hell and we replaced it with the machine I currently use.

The last one I kicked the the curb was a Dell that I stripped the RAM, DVD, and CD-RW drives out of. I put it out the front door and it vanished a few days later. Suckers!

The last one of my own that I booted was a Compaq Presario 4528. It was my first actual PC. It had a PI 233, 64MB of RAM, a Sound blaster AWE64, Voodo 3 2000 PCI, Sportster 56K modem, and 512K of L2 cache ram. It also had a 4x CD-RW, a 24x CD-ROM, 3.2 GB Bigfoot HDD, and an LS-120.

The Bigfoot had a head crash one day. I removed half the RAM (the other half was soldered to the motherboard), the video and sound cards, modem, drives, and anything else I could get my grubby hands on, then I sold the rest to Computer Renaissance. They actually bought it!

Later all I had to buy was a new motherboard, CPU, a hard drive, and a new tower. I purchased additional RAM at that point, too. The "new" hard drive is still in service today in that same tower, although the PC has been rebuilt with new parts at least three times.

Old specs of the "new" computer: K6-III 450 with 96 MB RAM and 15GB hard disk space. 4X CD-RW, Voodoo 3 2000 PCI, Sound Blaster AWE 64.

Current specs of that "old" white computer: Athlon XP 1700+ with 786MB of DDR1 and 55GB of hard disk space. 2.4X DVD+RW, modified Voodoo 5 5500 (hardware OC to 176, with additional cooling), modified Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum (used for recodring and practicing music).

It makes the computer I'm using right now look like a TI calculator watch. Older is better. I must be using a classic!

I've never "trashed" anything electronic. Not even before it became illegal here. I'm a big fan of recycling and reuse.

I have dropped off lots of stuff at RePC.

I'm not really sure what the last thing I dropped off there was... I just know I try to find someone to buy/take stuff before I go. I think the last thing I took there was a television. Maybe the last computer I dropped off was a powermac 9600... I would have liked to keep it but it was just too big.

I tossed a few hundred systems when I worked at a thrift store. C64s , PC clones, and TIs were more common than dirt, and unless the set-ups were especially appealing (boxed or pristine condition) I'd toss most that came in. Even then we'd have a pile of 10 or so of each system on the shelves at any given time... and unlike most thrifts, they were tested, guaranteed working, and came with all necessary parts.

A year or so ago, I went through a personal purge, and tossed most of my old systems. C64s, C128s, Apple IIs of various types, Franklin Apple clones, PC clones, TIs, and Amigas. I kept one each of the majors, and kept my more odd-ball systems (Tomy Tutor, Aquarius, ECS, TRS-80 Model 4p, etc). It was a melancholy evening of cleaning, but necessary to get my life back into order... (I can easily lapse into "hording" behavior, and I sometimes have to take drastic measures to keep from becoming one of those people who fill their houses with crap and become recluses.)

I bought a Commodore 64 about ten years ago at a Goodwill store for like $15, and when I got it home it wouldn't turn on. Power supply problem? Possibly, but I didn't feel it was worth the effort to hunt around for a C64 power supply. It sat in the closet for ten years, and when my parents were moving late last year and they wanted me to empty out all my old stuff, I just tossed the Commy...

Hmm. I can't remember the last time I completely tossed anything. Though I have given away a few older PCs.

I guess the closest thing would be the stuff I tear down if I can't fix it. All good parts go to my 'boneyard' and the rest gets tossed. Lately that would be an Adam, 2 Apple IIGS's, an ST, an Apple II, and a C64 IIRC.

I had to reduce clutter moving into a smaller 1BR apartment. I wound up getting rid of an Amiga 2000 and Amiga 2500. I depopulated the socketed chips first. It's just that those cases are freaking huge and heavy. I can't imagine anyone would pay enough money on Ebay to have them shipped. One of them was given to me at a usergroup meeting. The other was my main computer for a while circa 1996-1998. I still have an Amiga 1200 with a missing key on the keyboard and an 030 accelerator I don't trust, but I decided to keep that for now. And I have my Toaster/Flyer editing system (which is A1200-based).

I also got rid of my old PII 350 motherboard circa 1998. These days it's probably not worth keeping a PC under 1GHZ because they suck at playing things like DIVX. I rebuilt a PC someone threw out that was similar to this and even though I put the best GFX card I could find into it, it could barely play DVDs and DIVX at full framerate as long as I didn't multitask.

It's kind of sad to see PCI go away, also, because I've also collected a lot of PCI cards which are perfectly good but will probably need to be sold/trashed when I make my next upgrade (certainly if I go with a Mac tower, which has no PCI slots).