IGNORED

What computer did you learn to program LOGO language on?

Coleco ADAM here. Man, those were some sweet geometric patterns I drew. I could draw boxes, circles, triangles etc. AND fill them in with color!

ADAM also!

SmartLOGO is one of the better releases from Back In The Day

I still putz around with it a bit. Too bad its interpreted, as its a powerful little language

Edited by Inky

I don't remember if I used TI Logo II or Atari Logo for the 400/800 first, but it was one of those two. I liked Atari PILOT also.

I wonder why Logo seems to have fallen out of favor in recent years; when I was a kid, just about every elementary school seemed to be using Logo (usually Terrapin Logo on the Apple ][) in the classroom as an educational tool. I still think it's a VERY nice language, and being a dialect of LISP, it's a powerful and versatile one as well.

I wonder why Logo seems to have fallen out of favor in recent years;

Do you think it's Logo that has fallen out of favour, or just programming for kids in general? From the little I've observed, programming doesn't appear to be taught until at least high school nowadays.

I wonder why Logo seems to have fallen out of favor in recent years;
Do you think it's Logo that has fallen out of favour, or just programming for kids in general? From the little I've observed, programming doesn't appear to be taught until at least high school nowadays.
Probably programming in general, I'm afraid. It's amazing that there seems to be less programming taking place in elementary schools today than in the 1980s, even though the machines and tools are more powerful and affordable. The few times I've seen young kids taught any kind of programming, they're either using Java (ugh!) or simplified "languages" like the graphical design tools in those Lego Mindstorms robot kits. Most freshmen that I've talked to at my university don't even have any idea what Logo is. :sad:

Why ugh for Java?
That was a reaction to the idea of using a heavily object-oriented language like Java as an introductory programming language, which IMHO is not the right way to get somebody started, especially not a young kid. A person who is new to programming needs an understanding of certain fundamental concepts (simple sequential programming, subroutines, functions, etc) before they can hope to grasp abstract data types, encapsulation, and other higher-level concepts of object-orientedness that depend on the fundamental ones. I suppose you could teach all of those things with Java if you really wanted to, but Java has a very strict syntax and some very annoying inconsistencies and quirks, both of which can be an added source of frustration to new programmers. In contrast, it's easy for even a non-programmer to understand simple Logo code, and BASIC isn't too much of a leap beyond that. Edited by jaybird3rd

Why ugh for Java?
That was a reaction to the idea of using a heavily object-oriented language like Java as an introductory programming language, which IMHO is not the right way to get somebody started, especially not a young kid. A person who is new to programming needs an understanding of certain fundamental concepts (simple sequential programming, subroutines, functions, etc) before they can hope to grasp abstract data types, encapsulation, and other higher-level concepts of object-orientedness that depend on the fundamental ones. I suppose you could teach all of those things with Java if you really wanted to, but Java has a very strict syntax and some very annoying inconsistencies and quirks, both of which can be an added source of frustration to new programmers. In contrast, it's easy for even a non-programmer to understand simple Logo code, and BASIC isn't too much of a leap beyond that.

Figured it was something like that.

I've recommended DarkBasic and that other, similar one.

I think VB3/VB4 wouldn't be awful either (picked it up myself in college, and actually taught a class in it at my University); kind of fun event-driven model there.

There's processing.org, that's trying to be easy, though I think later revisions have made it less n00b friendly. Still fun for throwing together random stuff for the web.