IGNORED

Jr Pac-Man/Super Pac-Man - Ms Pac-Man Hack

NinjaWarrior

Is it even possible on the 7800...I know in Super, When Pac-Man get's a Super Pill he get's big..will the big sprite be a problem

Super: The big sprite should be easier to do on the 7800. Also a lot more color for the screen should be possible than on the 5200/8bit.

Jr: Ms Pacman could probably be ported pretty easily to be Jr if more RAM were available.

Is it even possible on the 7800...I know in Super, When Pac-Man get's a Super Pill he get's big..will the big sprite be a problem

Super: The big sprite should be easier to do on the 7800. Also a lot more color for the screen should be possible than on the 5200/8bit.

Jr: Ms Pacman could probably be ported pretty easily to be Jr if more RAM were available.

What about the 5200's left to right maze scrolling, could that be done well also? If it could I would think it would be cool to do Pacmania also and\or first cause there isn't a version of pacmania for the ATARI on any of the 4 home consoles.

What about the 5200's left to right maze scrolling, could that be done well also? If it could I would think it would be cool to do Pacmania also and\or first cause there isn't a version of pacmania for the ATARI on any of the 4 home consoles.

The background is just another object as far as the 5200 is concerned. You would just keep moving it left, and after 4 pixels you would move it back and change the addresses for each line. You will probably need masking sprites on the edge since otherwise the left and right borders will keep moving. Ms pacman already has a masking black stripe on each edge so ms pacman can smoothly leave the screen and not just disappear.

It's much easier in the grand scheme to do vertical scrolling on the 2600 than horizontal, especially smoothly, so that's why 2600 Jr. Pac scrolls vertically.

I think 2600 Jr. Pac has some added RAM too to keep track of the extra area, dots, and whatnot. Could be wrong though.

I think the 7800 needs a translation of Jr. Pac-Man.

Same here

But how did they do the strolling on the 2600..was it even possible, Just hack Ms-Pac-Man & add the strolling background or write it..whatever in programming terms

Your programming analogies make my head hurt. :sad:

It would be pointless to hack any game written for the 2600 into one specifically for the 7800. If the 7800 alone is to be the platform, better to just begin there than to be limited by an existing 2600 kernal.

I think 2600 Jr. Pac has some added RAM too to keep track of the extra area, dots, and whatnot. Could be wrong though.

Correct. 2600 Jr. is a superchip cartridge.

• 3 months later...
How would one find out if Super & Jr can be Hacked from Ms Pac-Man, Do I have to look in the ROM

Having led development of Super PAC-MAN for mobile phones, I can tell you that it's a much more complicated hack than it might appear. First, the maze walls are much thinner, allowing for more passages. Next, the Ghost logic has to be rewritten to take into account areas that were previously sealed off, and what to do if they encounter a dead-end (something that never really happens in other PAC-MAN games).

Etc.

• 4 months later...