IGNORED

MegaCD II Question

I got a second hand MegaCD 2 the other week for £4 but with no software. It worked when I plugged it into my MegaDrive 2 but i tried to run a UK PAL game on it but it wouldn't load. The inbuilt software says NO DISC and I then tried an audio CD and got the same message.

Any ideas on how I can get it working?

Thanks in advance.

Well, there's one of two most likely possible things to be wrong.

1, the laser is burned out, which can be replaced, but is quiet costly, and should probably be done by a pro, unless you really know what your doing.

2 the CD is simply not turning. This can be caused by a burned out motor, which will need replaced, again, probably by a pro unless you know what your doing. Or it might be a spindle issue, the thing the CD sticks on top of is pushed to far into the system to work properly, or at all. And if this is the case, it is fairly easy to pry up and have work again.

Of course, anything else can be wrong with it, but these are the two most likely. Sega, unlike a few other companies used quality componants in their products, so it's probably fairly easily fixable, and unlikely for it to just be dead.

I noticed that a disc just drops right in just like a CD-ROM / DVD-ROM drive and CD stereo despite the fact it has a middle bit like on a personal CD player..

Thanks for the reply Video..

The access light flashes and it sounds like it's trying to read the disc. Sadly I don't have any documentation for it..

Thanks - downloading it now - hopefully it'll tell me how to fix it. My missus was very wary of it when I brought the thing.

It's provided some useful information.. Will a universal Sega power unit (which runs the Mastersystem, Megadrive/Genesis and Game Gear) be suitable - I didn't get a power supply with it.

(what did I expect for £4)

I don't have mine unpacked so I can look at it, but If I remember right, it uses the same power supply the Genny2 does.

Can someone else varify this?

my SegaCD version 2 does use the genny 2 power supply. with the CD units there are bad reports of third party power supplies blowing a segaCD, always read the label to check the polarity make sure the one you want to use is correct, even if it is a genny 2 power supply

I have head the segaCD lacks a power inverter/converter and explains some of the dead ones you find out there

can anybody confirm that? I forget where I read it.

-Jubal-