IGNORED

GameCrazy throws away game cases.

jboypacman

Our local GameCrazy throws out all the cases/boxes for there games for the older systems, Sega Genesis,Dreamcast,PS1,NES,ect.Its a space saving measure i guess to keep room in there stores for the new games but man what a waste.Has anyone else encounter this in your travels to other game stores in your areas?

just from Funcoland/Gamestop- for awhile you never saw boxes for SNES/Gen/NES

untill they realized that they could get more $$ if they had the boxes atleast but since anything from the DC and older isnt really carried by them anymore it isnt much of an issue

i know i never bought a SNES/Genesis games from them unless it had the box it came in and i told them tons of times, that i would pay alittle more if they kept the boxes

i never heard of gamecrazy, is that a local store of a chain store?

i never heard of gamecrazy, is that a local store of a chain store?

Game Crazy is one of those game stores typically found inside a movie rental store. I think Game Crazy is inside Hollywood Video. (correct me if I'm wrong)

Edited by atariman

GameCrazy is a game store that you sometimes find inside Hollywood video rental shops.

The one where I live appears to be doing away with their stock of games 16 bit and earlier. I got a huge load of Game Gear Games from t hem for 99 cents each a few months ago... now they don't even have NES games. Too bad, I liked going in there and just buying whatever I could find $5 and under that I didn't already have once every few months.

GameCrazy is a game store that you sometimes find inside Hollywood video rental shops.

hahaha i go to a CVS store that has a Hollywood video rental place at the other end of the parking lot, i even drive right infront of it to get the the CVS store sometimes

i guess i just dont notice it since ive never been inside it, and its been there many many years

i might have to check the dumpster ;)

Not every Hollywood Video has a Game Crazy in it, but if you're referring to the one on Dix Highway in Lincoln Park, I know exactly where you're talking about.

heh its like your reading my mind :D

thats the one

and i checked it and nothing in it :)

Edited by Lemmi

That seems to be pretty standard for video game stores. I don't know why. I mean, I could understand the super common crap that their only going to get a $1 for after sitting on the shelf for months. But the stuff that you can get $10 for, and will be gone quickly, I just don't get it. I pretty much buy everything either NEW (NOT FROM THOSE GAME STORES, as they tend to charge more for new stuff as well) or buy it from Ebay, where you can find stuff in any condition you could want it in, including boxed with dox.

I remember when Gamestop started to throw out their Genesis and NES boxes. I asked the guy behind the counter if I could have them and he said "Sure" and handed me a giant garbage bag full of them. Apparently he was going to go toss them in the dumpster at the end of the day.

Tempest

Game X Change throws away most of the boxes for their carts, and most of the manuals. GameBoy boxes and instructions seem to be an exception.

I happened into the Midwest City store one night and they had a 2600 game organizer for sale. They'd forgotten to check the pockets for manuals, which I quickly found. I took the manuals to the counter and asked "How much?" expecting to pay $1 or $2 each. Nope.

"We throw 'em away, and we'd have thrown those away if we'd seen them. You can have them free."

I ended up spending $20 on hardware at that store that night.

The chain doesn't throw all of that stuff away, though. It depends on which customer is looking for it and what manager works the store.

If you're not part of the clientele, though, you'll be told they don't sell boxes with their carts, and the only instructions they have are the photocopied ones.

That's how I got Perfect Dark boxed, too. The GameStop manager where I went had been told to throw all the store's N64 boxes out. Not having the heart to do so, he boxed up as many of the carts as he could, added $1 to their price, and put them on the shelf. They sold in a matter of days.

Get to know the personnel in one of your local game stores. Treat 'em right and they'll save that kinda stuff for ya.

Here is what I did. I got on good terms with some of the employees at my local Game Crazy and asked them if they would hold all the Genesis boxes for me and I'd pick them up every so often. Worked out pretty good as I ended up getting about 50 boxes from them.

I went into a newer GC a while back and asked if they had any Sega CD/Saturn stuff. The guy working there told me that they didn't buy it anymore, but a guy had come in a few days earlier with a big box of Saturn stuff to sell. When they told him that they didn't buy Saturn anymore, he just gave them the box of stuff. They turned around and gave it to a guy who who happened to be in the store who they knew liked Saturn stuff.

At this same store an employee mentioned that they were going to be building more 'stand-alone' Game Crazy locations like the one I was in.

JY

That seems to be pretty standard for video game stores. I don't know why. I mean, I could understand the super common crap that their only going to get a $1 for after sitting on the shelf for months. But the stuff that you can get $10 for, and will be gone quickly, I just don't get it. I pretty much buy everything either NEW (NOT FROM THOSE GAME STORES, as they tend to charge more for new stuff as well) or buy it from Ebay, where you can find stuff in any condition you could want it in, including boxed with dox.

What about the super-common crap that Game Crazy still wants $5 for, like pack-in Sonic 1?

I bought up all the $1 or less non-EA/non-Accolade Genesis carts I could find for homebrew shells. (and a few games that I needed for my collection, thanks to their 3-for-$10 deal, like that PSIII with some guy's name written all over it) I have a LOT of NFL '94 and NFL '95 now. At one store the guy even went in back and threw in some less-than-clean cases.

When GC gets serious about blowing out their Genesis stuff, I'll be ready.